Anybody catch this?
Was anyone here a witness to this?
Thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szs2KGzYgeo
Well, I certainly won't ever go to the growers market after seeing that.
The woman with the dog has some form of epilepsy and the dog is trained to warn her of an impending episode.

Marti Fate needs to go. The City Attorney has sent the Growers Market officers a letter and the City Council is going to discuss Marti's future.

This happens over and over with her.

Just ask Rycke Brown about Marti's tactics.
What is a service dog? Does it have special training and does it have an appropriate license indicating it is what it is? Folks are always trying to push the limit so maybe a special tag would be appropriate.

Incidentally, the Growers market in conjunction with the city, applied for and received the economic development grant to purchase the property , pave it and landscape it in order to use it one day a week, nine months a year. The grant was 200,000, the surrounding property owners contributed 200,000, the growers planted all the trees and did the landscaping (worth 50,000) and the city was to put in public restrooms. The restrooms were actually put in at the corner of 6th and G. The Growers Market has a signed lease giving them the authority to make the rules during their hours of operation. They also pay rent to the city.

One of the rules prohibits the circulation of petitions within the market and prohibits candidates from actively campaigning within the confines of the market. Rycke Brown can't get that through her thick head. The rules are enforceable, just ask Rycke.
My wife uses the most commonly recognized type of service dog.......one that has been in the public eye for over 80 years.....a guide dog. We used to frequent the market with my wifes guide and the guide pups we raise, since Oregon State law allows access for raisers/trainers, and the ADA allows access for legitimate service dogs. However, each time we went, we were constantly stopped, questioned, and harassed by employees of the market. One employee even grabbed her guides harness to stop her, almost causing my wife to fall. Every time we answered the legally allowed questions and went on our way, but many times we were followed by an employee just to "make sure" her guide was a "real" service dog (not like in the video, however). Our attempts to organize an educational seminar regarding service dogs were rebuffed. We simply stopped going.
There is a page dedicated to bringing out the truth and to gather public support for replacing the current management of the market if actions like this continue.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hom...wersMarket
I wish someone would have edited the video. Also I would have liked to know what the police told this women.

I personally don't think the dog is likely to contaminate any of the produce. But what I think doesn't matter.
If the people who run the place don't want dogs in there and and they have the right to prohibit dogs. Then the lady has no right to take the dog in regardless of whether or not it's a service dog.

I guess I'm saying that it's simply a legal matter. It's funny because once I took my big dog (108 pounds) right through the growers market in Medford. I didn't even consider that people would object. No one said anything.
I have no objections to a service animal or service animal trainee.
People have been abusing this law. When I hear things like "the dog keeps me calm" I want to puke.
Service animals should be required to have some certs as to establish their legitimacy.
This would end the issue of 'take my word for it'
I'm so temped to bring in my rooster to the stores.
(11-24-2012, 11:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I wish someone would have edited the video. Also I would have liked to know what the police told this women.

I personally don't think the dog is likely to contaminate any of the produce. But what I think doesn't matter.
If the people who run the place don't want dogs in there and and they have the right to prohibit dogs. Then the lady has no right to take the dog in regardless of whether or not it's a service dog.

I guess I'm saying that it's simply a legal matter. It's funny because once I took my big dog (108 pounds) right through the growers market in Medford. I didn't even consider that people would object. No one said anything.

It is a legal matter...it's against the law to even ask for papers. They are only allowed to ask if it's a service dog.

The dog in question was tiny...it's very crowded at the Grower's Market, the dog would be crushed on the ground.
(11-24-2012, 11:10 PM)Smithcat Wrote: My wife uses the most commonly recognized type of service dog.......one that has been in the public eye for over 80 years.....a guide dog. We used to frequent the market with my wifes guide and the guide pups we raise, since Oregon State law allows access for raisers/trainers, and the ADA allows access for legitimate service dogs. However, each time we went, we were constantly stopped, questioned, and harassed by employees of the market. One employee even grabbed her guides harness to stop her, almost causing my wife to fall. Every time we answered the legally allowed questions and went on our way, but many times we were followed by an employee just to "make sure" her guide was a "real" service dog (not like in the video, however). Our attempts to organize an educational seminar regarding service dogs were rebuffed. We simply stopped going.
There is a page dedicated to bringing out the truth and to gather public support for replacing the current management of the market if actions like this continue.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hom...wersMarket

Thanks for the link, Smithcat!
I'm so sorry these people behaved in this way towards your wife and her dog. It's time for Marti and her thugs to be sent packing.

One of the vendors interviewed stated he had witnessed this harrassment at least 8 times. He packed up and left in protest.
(11-24-2012, 10:51 PM)minuteman Wrote: What is a service dog? Does it have special training and does it have an appropriate license indicating it is what it is? Folks are always trying to push the limit so maybe a special tag would be appropriate.

On July 23, 2010, Attorney General Eric Holder signed final regulations revising the Department’s ADA regulations, including a revised definition of “service animal.” This final rule was published in the Federal Register September 15, 2010, and the effective date is six months after that publication.

Effective March 15, 2011, “Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.”

Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be charged extra fees, isolated from other patrons, or treated less favorably than other patrons. However, if a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the animal is out of control and the animal's owner does not take effective action to control it (for example, a dog that barks repeatedly during a movie) or (2) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.
In these cases, the business should give the person with the disability the option to obtain goods and services without having the animal on the premises.

Businesses that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.

A business is not required to provide care or food for a service animal or provide a special location for it to relieve itself.

Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals.

Violators of the ADA can be required to pay money damages and penalties.

If you have additional questions concerning the ADA and service animals, please call the Department's ADA Information Line at (800) 514-0301 (voice) or (800) 514-0383 (TTY) or visit the ADA Business Connection at ada.gov.
(11-24-2012, 11:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I wish someone would have edited the video. Also I would have liked to know what the police told this women.

Quote:Under the ADA, State and local governments, businesses, and nonprofit organizations that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go. For example, in a hospital it would be inappropriate to exclude a service animal from areas such as patient rooms, clinics, cafeterias, or examination rooms. However, it may be appropriate to exclude a service animal from operating rooms or burn units where the animal’s presence may compromise a sterile environment.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
there goes my service chicken
(11-24-2012, 11:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: If the people who run the place don't want dogs in there and and they have the right to prohibit dogs. Then the lady has no right to take the dog in regardless of whether or not it's a service dog.

Not quite.

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

A service dog is considered "medical equipment" in the eyes of the law. No one would think of telling a wheelchair user that they cannot have their wheelchair in the market because of the possibility that someone's toes might be run over, or that a person's oxygen tank is too bulky and gets in the way so they cannot have it in the market. Same with a service dog. The only time a service dog user can be asked to remove the dog is if they do not have or will not maintain control of the animal, if the dog causes a direct threat to the health and safety of others, or if the presence of the dog would cause a fundamental alteration of the venue (such as a dog being present at a cat show, or an open aviary exhibit).

It is a matter of civil rights and discrimination, which ties to the law.
(11-24-2012, 10:51 PM)minuteman Wrote: What is a service dog? Does it have special training and does it have an appropriate license indicating it is what it is? Folks are always trying to push the limit so maybe a special tag would be appropriate.

Okay, for clarification. This is THE LAW. A special tag may feel appropriate, but it is AGAINST THE LAW:

Quote:When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed.

Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken.

When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence.

Establishments that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.

People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons, treated less favorably than other patrons, or charged fees that are not charged to other patrons without animals.

In addition, if a business requires a deposit or fee to be paid by patrons with pets, it must waive the charge for service animals. If a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may also be charged for damage caused by himself or his service animal.

Staff are not required to provide care or food for a service animal.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
So, can someone sue the growers market and put and end to this tyranny.
Or perhaps notify her insurance carrier, that you'll sue next time it happens. Her insurance company will straighten out her real quick.
(11-24-2012, 11:20 PM)Clone Wrote:

It is a legal matter...it's against the law to even ask for papers. They are only allowed to ask if it's a service dog.

The dog in question was tiny...it's very crowded at the Grower's Market, the dog would be crushed on the ground.

Then put in a freaking cart if that would make peace. I already said I didn't think the dog was a valid complaint as far as being sanitary. I'm just saying it's a legal matter. I'm pretty sure you can't take a dog in to the kitchen of a restaurant even IF it's a service dog.

I think service dogs should have a little badge on their collar for all to see and if it's legal it's legal if it's not it's not.Smiling
Establishments that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.

Ummm, end of story.
Clone,
This is the part that always leaves me scratching my head and really wondering where these people have been for the latter part of the 20th century:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed.

I always am left befuddled with the "when it is NOT obvious" part. I mean, how obvious is a dog with a leather harness which has a rigid handle with a big white sign with blue letters which states "Guide Dogs for the Blind" on it? How obvious is this:
[Image: 008.jpg.html?sort=3&o=17&_suid=135382743...8739899559]
(11-25-2012, 12:12 AM)Smithcat Wrote: Clone,
This is the part that always leaves me scratching my head and really wondering where these people have been for the latter part of the 20th century:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed.

I always am left befuddled with the "when it is NOT obvious" part. I mean, how obvious is a dog with a leather harness which has a rigid handle with a big white sign with blue letters which states "Guide Dogs for the Blind" on it? How obvious is this:
[Image: 008.jpg.html?sort=3&o=17&_suid=135382743...8739899559]
seeing eye dogs are not the issue .
It's the shih tzu l with the ribbon in it's hair that I question.

[Image: l.jpg]
I agree chuck. There are people that pretend that their dogs are service dogs when the dog is not. The owner is most often a woman with a small dog. I have heard these dogs referred to as companion dogs. I suppose because they gave comfort for the neurotic old bitches who own them. It is my understanding that these dogs are not service animals, so they should not be allowed in places that don’t allow dogs.

I can’t comment on the Growers Market incident other than to say that it is not at all clear what service that woman’s dog is performing and I see no problem with the Growers Market trying to enforce their rules. I think the law that allows service dogs should be amended to require certification of service animals.