Best Country to be Born in 2013
(11-29-2012, 04:49 PM)csrowan Wrote: Why not? Those stats also lump the crime ridden, drug infested sewers in with you.

Saying "I don't like the way we're comparing the average quality of life of our citizens with the average quality of life of their citizens" is a great way to avoid the subject of crime ridden, drug infested sewers pushing our averages down. I think having that brought to our attention is a good thing, because maybe we'll start actually DOING something about them.

It's simply the average Americans quality of life is actually better than the stats because we have a minority of Americans who keep THEIR quality of life low.

Hell yes we need to do something about it, I've never said otherwise. A lot of people won't even admit there is a problem. I'm not avoiding a damn thing, that's a much better assessment of the people who want to call me a racist.
They aren't lowering out average, we're raising theirs. Don't judge a country by how well the people who are better off are doing, judge it by how poorly the lowest members of society are doing.
(11-29-2012, 04:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: They aren't lowering out average, we're raising theirs. Don't judge a country by how well the people who are better off are doing, judge it by how poorly the lowest members of society are doing.

The quality of MY life is a lot better than the quality of some ghetto dweller or any dirt poor welfare family that you will NEVER find in Switzerland.

The findings of the OP seem to me to indicate your quality of life in America is much lower than several other countries.
I'm simply saying that It's a vast country with tons of variables and that it REALLY depends on where you live.

And not so much in these other countries. Is that really so hard to grasp or DO YOU JUST WANT TO DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING I SAY?
(11-29-2012, 05:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-29-2012, 04:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: They aren't lowering out average, we're raising theirs. Don't judge a country by how well the people who are better off are doing, judge it by how poorly the lowest members of society are doing.

The quality of MY life is a lot better than the quality of some ghetto dweller or any dirt poor welfare family that you will NEVER find in Switzerland.

The findings of the OP seem to me to indicate your quality of life in America is much lower than several other countries.
I'm simply saying that It's a vast country with tons of variables and that it REALLY depends on where you live.

And not so much in these other countries. Is that really so hard to grasp or DO YOU JUST WANT TO DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING I SAY?

The findings of the OP seem to me to indicate that the mathematically derived average of quality of life in America is much lower than the mathematically derived average quality of life in several other countries, using the same system to find and derive that average.

Is that really so hard to grasp, or DO YOU JUST WANT TO DISAGREE WITH MATHEMATICS?
(11-29-2012, 05:14 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(11-29-2012, 05:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The findings of the OP seem to me to indicate that the mathematically derived average of quality of life in America is much lower than the mathematically derived average quality of life in several other countries, using the same system to find and derive that average.

Is that really so hard to grasp, or DO YOU JUST WANT TO DISAGREE WITH MATHEMATICS?

I don't need math to see the obvious. What part of IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU LIVE don't you get? It matter a great deal here and probably very little in Switzerland.
Sheesh
Here's the thing. I look at the numbers, and I see that our average is lower than the averages of some other countries. I see that, I and I thnk 'gee, we should try to fix that'.

You look at the numbers, and you see a horrible, anti-American sentiment that's based on a bad comparison.

The problem is that the numbers are an accurate representation. They represent the average. Complaining that some people are below average is like complaining that some people are above average. The only difference is that their bell curve is narrower than ours. Instead of whining about it, use it as justification to make ours narrower.
(11-29-2012, 05:40 PM)csrowan Wrote: Here's the thing. I look at the numbers, and I see that our average is lower than the averages of some other countries. I see that, I and I thnk 'gee, we should try to fix that'.

You look at the numbers, and you see a horrible, anti-American sentiment that's based on a bad comparison.

The problem is that the numbers are an accurate representation. They represent the average. Complaining that some people are below average is like complaining that some people are above average. The only difference is that their bell curve is narrower than ours. Instead of whining about it, use it as justification to make ours narrower.

Wow you really are ponderLaughing You are doing the same thing he loves to do. YOU decide what I mean instead of actually listening to meLaughing
No freaking Wonder you sign your name 47 times and even post alleged photo.Razz

You haven't been around long enough to see the last dozen or so of these compare the USA to everyone else threads.

I've explained to death why I think it's inaccurate to say Americans have a lower quality of life than the Swiss. It's only true on Average but NOT FOR MANY OF US. because we have a lot more problems then they do.

But my real problem with these comparisons are the conclusions that are drawn not the freaking math.

When someone claims our health care is bad compared to another country and they base that notion on the fact that we don't live as long.
Can you see any problems with that? Of course we don't live as long. We have more people shooting each otherLaughingLaughing.
TV has absolutely no grasp of statistics.
(11-29-2012, 07:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote: TV has absolutely no grasp of statistics.

No, I have no faith in what a lot of people take from some statistics. I just explained why. You have no grasp of logic.
(11-29-2012, 10:10 AM)Valuesize Wrote: [Image: 20130110_irt001.jpg]

Logic says the United States was better than 64 other listed countries. You can't take your credits when credits are do, can you?

What is this obsession with always having to be #1 all the time???

And, are you incapable of looking at something like this and wondering, what would we have to do to make ourselves at the top instead, and what can we learn from these people? That's what real logic is.