New American fish named for Obama
But would you want to be remembered for a darter? Smiling http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ident.html

[Image: article-2240970-1649D978000005DC-314_634x326.jpg]

A new species of fish has been named after President Barack Obama by the researchers who discovered it.

The freshwater fish has distinctive bright orange and blue colours and is generally found in fast-flowing rivers around America.

It is one of five new species of darter - the smallest member of the perch family - to be discovered in recent months.

The tiny fish - which are normally under 50mm in length - have been spotted by researchers from Geosyntec Consultants and Saint Louis University in waters in Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

Geosyntec Consultants researcher Steve Layman told The Guardian: 'We chose President Obama for his environmental leadership, particularly in the areas of clean energy and environmental protection, and because he is one of our first leaders to approach conservation and environmental protection from a more global vision..."
How is that pronounced?
o-BAH-mah
looks like

E-tho-STAH-mah-o-BAH-mah
You say STAH-mah-o
and I say
STOW-mah-o. Smiling
(12-01-2012, 03:15 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You say STAH-mah-o
and I say
STOW-mah-o. Smiling

Must be my 'inner city' accent,
Well, the fish isn't new, is it? Just us knowing about it.
No, the aliens must have just dumped them off the spaceship, or we'd have known about this earlier. This is indeed a very, very special tribute for Obama. From the aliens to us.
(12-01-2012, 04:23 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Well, the fish isn't new, is it? Just us knowing about it.

You mean from the ponds of Monsanto or from the coast of Fukachima
Serves those states right for not supporting Obama. Now his namesake fish is in their streams and rivers.
(12-01-2012, 04:23 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Well, the fish isn't new, is it? Just us knowing about it.

Yep, That's what I thought . It's new to researchers(also known as geeky nerds who have never been outdoors)Razz in Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.
Where it's probably been seen over thousands of times and over by fisherman.Laughing
(12-01-2012, 01:30 PM)PonderThis Wrote: But would you want to be remembered for a darter? Smiling http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ident.html

[Image: article-2240970-1649D978000005DC-314_634x326.jpg]

A new species of fish has been named after President Barack Obama by the researchers who discovered it.

The freshwater fish has distinctive bright orange and blue colours and is generally found in fast-flowing rivers around America.

It is one of five new species of darter - the smallest member of the perch family - to be discovered in recent months.

The tiny fish - which are normally under 50mm in length - have been spotted by researchers from Geosyntec Consultants and Saint Louis University in waters in Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

Geosyntec Consultants researcher Steve Layman told The Guardian: 'We chose President Obama for his environmental leadership, particularly in the areas of clean energy and environmental protection, and because he is one of our first leaders to approach conservation and environmental protection from a more global vision..."

A Darter? I though it would have been a Fluke.
Agate lake is full of these Yellow perch. I wonder if the researchers have ever been thereRazz

[Image: YellowPerch.gif]
If I ever catch one, I will either throw it back or use it for bait to catch something worth keeping.Laughing