Children Attempt an Armed Robbery
This little tidbit of news raises some serious questions with me.
I guess the first one is: WHERE did they get the loaded gun?
Leading to the second one: Were the families checked out before putting the children back in?

==================

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Portland police say two boys, ages 11 and 7, attempted to rob a woman with a loaded gun. Police say that the 11-year-old boy had a .22 caliber loaded handgun when officers contacted him Saturday at the parking lot of the Freedom Foursquare Church. Authorities say the boys approached a 22-year-old woman waiting for her parents in a car parked outside the church. She says the boys tried to carjack her. When she refused, the 11-year-old boy showed her the gun and told her to give them her phone and money or they would shoot her. She drove away and contacted police. Because of their age officers placed the boys in their family's custody. Detectives are investigating how the boys obtained a gun.

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stor...html?wap=0
(12-09-2012, 03:42 PM)Clone Wrote: This little tidbit of news raises some serious questions with me.
Leading to the second one: Were the families checked out before putting the children back in?

==================

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Portland police say two boys, ages 11 and 7, attempted to rob a woman with a loaded gun. Police say that the 11-year-old boy had a .22 caliber loaded handgun when officers contacted him Saturday at the parking lot of the Freedom Foursquare Church. Authorities say the boys approached a 22-year-old woman waiting for her parents in a car parked outside the church. She says the boys tried to carjack her. When she refused, the 11-year-old boy showed her the gun and told her to give them her phone and money or they would shoot her. She drove away and contacted police. Because of their age officers placed the boys in their family's custody. Detectives are investigating how the boys obtained a gun.

Hypothetical:

Let's say that the woman had a gun of her own and blew those two little kids to the moon. Then what?
Everybody needs to carry at Church.
(12-09-2012, 05:37 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Hypothetical:

Let's say that the woman had a gun of her own and blew those two little kids to the moon. Then what?

Good question.
The boy's parents would sue her?
(12-09-2012, 06:08 PM)Clone Wrote:

Good question.

If you were on the jury, would you award the parents damages?

I'm sure that extenuating circumstances would be a factor. Let's keep it simple:

Kids got the gun from their dad's closet.
Kids try to rob woman.
Woman shoots kids.
Kids die.

My answer: No damages. Kid's father goes to jail... maybe the mother too. If anyone sues anyone, it should be the victim, (woman who was being robbed), suing the parents.
(12-09-2012, 05:37 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 03:42 PM)Clone Wrote: This little tidbit of news raises some serious questions with me.

==================

Hypothetical:

Then , 10 years or so from now there wouldn't be two criminals on the loose or two criminals in prison.
I got caught shoplifting as a kid, I suppose I should have gone on to become a big time criminal.
(12-09-2012, 06:26 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: If you were on the jury, would you award the parents damages?

I'm sure that extenuating circumstances would be a factor. Let's keep it simple:

Kids got the gun from their dad's closet.
Kids try to rob woman.
Woman shoots kids.
Kids die.

My answer: No damages. Kid's father goes to jail... maybe the mother too. If anyone sues anyone, it should be the victim, (woman who was being robbed), suing the parents.

Wrongful death is tricky, though.
It can go either way, it's civil rather than criminal.

In my mind, the parent they got the gun from is responsible.

That's just my mind, though.

The jury could decide anything on any given day.
(12-09-2012, 06:33 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I got caught shoplifting as a kid, I suppose I should have gone on to become a big time criminal.

Really?, a kid robbing an adult with a loaded gun is the same in your world as you swiping a candy bar?:wacko:
It sets the stage for a life of criminality. Laughing
If the woman did have a gun and felt threatened by the eleven-year old brandishing his gun in her face, let's say she shot him. In self defense. Theoretically, she would be within her rights, correct?

Let's put guns in all the kiddies' Christmas stockings this year. "Load 'em up, Santa!"
Why does everyone assume this kid got the gun from his dad? He probably sold enough crack to buy it on the street.Razz
I was surprised during Bob Costas's halftime report tonight that he didn't touch on the NFL's "Fast Car Culture" killing a Dallas Cowboy yesterday.
(12-09-2012, 06:26 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 06:08 PM)Clone Wrote:

Good question.

If you were on the jury, would you award the parents damages?

I would consider it a act of Darwin.