And... another shooting!
Quote:People with autism or Asperger syndrome are particularly vulnerable to mental health problems such as anxiety and depression, especially in late adolescence and early adult life (Tantam & Prestwood, 1999). Ghaziuddin et al (1998) found that 65 per cent of their sample of patients with Asperger syndrome presented with symptoms of psychiatric disorder.

However, as mentioned by Howlin (1997), "the inability of people with autism to communicate feelings of disturbance, anxiety or distress can also mean that it is often very difficult to diagnose depressive or anxiety states, particularly for clinicians who have little knowledge or understanding of developmental disorders".

Similarly, because of their impairment in non-verbal expression, they may not appear to be depressed (Tantam, 1991). This can mean that it is not until the illness is well developed that it is recognised, with possible consequences such as total withdrawal; increased obsessional behaviour; refusal to leave the home, go to work or college etc; and threatened, attempted or actual suicide. Aggression, paranoia or alcoholism may also occur.

Rest of Article:

http://www.autism.org.uk/working-with/he...drome.aspx
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/12/...-services/
Details about Friday’s horrific shooting spree at a Connecticut elementary school are still emerging, and it remains unknown whether the suspected shooters suffered from underlying mental health issues. It’s entirely possible that the perpetrators of today’s shooting were of sound mind. But the fact remains: in America, it’s currently easier for a poor person to get a gun than it is for them to get treatment for mental health issues.
Most murders committed in the United States involve a firearm — particularly handguns. A quick search shows that a typical handgun can be purchased for anywhere between $250 and $500. A .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle — which some reports indicate was the type of firearm used in today’s attack — costs between $700 and $2000. And contrary to the gun lobby’s most ardent hysteria about Barack Obama, gun ownership has actually been rising over the past four years, as has the use of guns in violent crimes.
By comparison, access to mental health services remains spotty, its funding and beneficiary requirements subject to the whims of governments attempting to balance their bloated budgets. People often do not know when they are entitled to preventative care services for mental health, and the people who do often forgo care due to the stigma associated with receiving such care.
And then there’s the cost of more extensive care. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), a mere 7.1 percent of all American adults receive mental health services. Most of these Americans’ care is covered by private insurance, with children, poorer, and more elderly Americans being covered through public insurance programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. An additional ten percent are uninsured. But out-of-pocket costs for both inpatient and outpatient mental health services remain staggeringly high:
[Image: sources-of-mental-health-insurance-e1355515250257.png]
Obamacare will require health plans on statewide exchanges to cover mental health services as one of its “essential health benefit” categories. But states ultimately carry most of the discretion when it comes to defining what these services are and how much funding they get, and the coverage won’t help Americans in the absence of active efforts to identify and treat mental health disorders.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) reports that Connecticut’s public mental health system currently provides coverage for less than one in five Connecticut residents with a serious mental health problem. The other four may not be able to afford to pay for those services on their own, particularly since mental health issues tend to disproportionately affect poor people.
Many states do require mental health evaluations and background checks before allowing their residents to purchase a gun. But doing an evaluation isn’t the same thing as actually treating people with ongoing mental health conditions.
UPDATE
There are reports that the alleged perpetrator, Adam Lanza, had a history of mental illness. There are also reports that Lanza’s mother — who Lanza also allegedly killed — bought the guns legally.
(12-14-2012, 07:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've always been drawn to people who are "different" in an intellectual way. "Normal" people bore me. Smiling

OH brother, yeah you are such an intellectual studRazz
My daughter's old riding teacher has a seven-year old daughter in that school. Her best seven-year old friend was killed, as was their seven-year old next door neighbor. I can't imagine the pain.

Perhaps this issue is about more than guns. As I said in another thread, it may be time for us to re-evaluate our current system for weeding out violent individuals and dealing with them before they commit a crime. Not all people with issues are prone to violence but some are. If there are indications maybe we should take serious action when issues arise rather than after a school, mall or theater is shot up. It used to be easier to commit people who met certain criteria. After some abuse of the system, the laws were relaxed. Maybe it's time to re-visit this situation. With the right kind of oversight, it could help to screen out the violent-prone and protect the merely 'odd'.
(12-14-2012, 07:54 PM)bbqboy Wrote: And contrary to the gun lobby’s most ardent hysteria about Barack Obama, gun ownership has actually been rising over the past four years,

Ironically, it is this ardent hysteria about Barack Obama and gun ownership that is driving the increased sales of guns, according to my friends in the business.

From what they tell me, you can bet that the mention of more "gun control" resulting from today's tragedy will create a spike in gun sales, especially the so called "assault weapons".
(12-14-2012, 08:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-14-2012, 07:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've always been drawn to people who are "different" in an intellectual way. "Normal" people bore me. Smiling

And, you're not.

Yea, crazy woman do have a certain attraction.
I think it their lack of inhibitions.
Evil
(12-14-2012, 08:18 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

And, you're not.

No I'm not but the difference is, I know I'm not and you think you are. It goes well with you and your desire to look down on most people.
I didn't ask to be born smarter than you are. It was a gift.
(12-14-2012, 08:27 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I didn't ask to be born smarter than you are. It was a gift.

Maybe not, he might have been cursed and your just normal.
Smiling
(12-14-2012, 08:27 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I didn't ask to be born smarter than you are. It was a gift.

When your mom said you were special , she lied.
I never thought I was the Devil's child either. Smiling
(12-14-2012, 08:08 PM)TennisMom Wrote: My daughter's old riding teacher has a seven-year old daughter in that school. Her best seven-year old friend was killed, as was their seven-year old next door neighbor. I can't imagine the pain.

Perhaps this issue is about more than guns. As I said in another thread, it may be time for us to re-evaluate our current system for weeding out violent individuals and dealing with them before they commit a crime. Not all people with issues are prone to violence but some are. If there are indications maybe we should take serious action when issues arise rather than after a school, mall or theater is shot up. It used to be easier to commit people who met certain criteria. After some abuse of the system, the laws were relaxed. Maybe it's time to re-visit this situation. With the right kind of oversight, it could help to screen out the violent-prone and protect the merely 'odd'.

I am sorry to hear that some of your friends and acquaintances are having to go through this TM. I am also pleased to read your response to the problem. I gave a lot of thought to this whole tragedy on my way home from work tonight while tied up in traffic. (Yes, Santa Cruz has traffic problems). My first thoughts were for the friends and families of the innocent children and the teachers killed in this incident. Further thoughts went to both knowing that the anti-gun zealots are going to come out in full force, as they already have, and also down the lines you alluded to. We all know that quite some time back, the government (federal) thought it best that they manage mental health control issues instead of the individual states. I think it was during Kennedy's administration. Of course, this led to most states, California with Regan at the helm most notable, closing most if not all of their mental health institutions.
We now see the results of this on a daily basis. Some places more than others. A huge percentage of our homeless population falls under the category of mentally ill and the results of their activities make the news on a daily basis.
I am sure that more information will be forthcoming about the mental stability of the young man that committed this act and I would hope that the whole issue of mental health treatment will get a fresh look as a result. Although current gun laws require that a person be mentally competent, it is obvious that in cases like this, it is very difficult to control all of the aspects. Reports say that all of the guns were owned by the mother and were legal. I also heard that the semi auto rifle that was in the car was not used. Clearly, the kid was disturbed and it is pure guesswork to know if he had any treatment for his condition or, if not, if he had been treated this incident wouldn't have happened.

So many questions, so few answers at this point.
(12-14-2012, 09:03 PM)imaham Wrote: I am sorry to hear that some of your friends and acquaintances are having to go through this TM. I am also pleased to read your response to the problem. I gave a lot of thought to this whole tragedy on my way home from work tonight while tied up in traffic. (Yes, Santa Cruz has traffic problems). My first thoughts were for the friends and families of the innocent children and the teachers killed in this incident. Further thoughts went to both knowing that the anti-gun zealots are going to come out in full force, as they already have, and also down the lines you alluded to. We all know that quite some time back, the government (federal) thought it best that they manage mental health control issues instead of the individual states. I think it was during Kennedy's administration. Of course, this led to most states, California with Regan at the helm most notable, closing most if not all of their mental health institutions.
We now see the results of this on a daily basis. Some places more than others. A huge percentage of our homeless population falls under the category of mentally ill and the results of their activities make the news on a daily basis.
I am sure that more information will be forthcoming about the mental stability of the young man that committed this act and I would hope that the whole issue of mental health treatment will get a fresh look as a result. Although current gun laws require that a person be mentally competent, it is obvious that in cases like this, it is very difficult to control all of the aspects. Reports say that all of the guns were owned by the mother and were legal. I also heard that the semi auto rifle that was in the car was not used. Clearly, the kid was disturbed and it is pure guesswork to know if he had any treatment for his condition or, if not, if he had been treated this incident wouldn't have happened.

So many questions, so few answers at this point.

Good post. It is time to reevaluate the reduction in mental health resources that began with Reagan.

Also, it should be noted that Connecticut has some of the most stringent gun laws in the nation.
Nothing to add except to add my own sense of grief and sadness. Just somehow seems necessary to voice it.
(12-14-2012, 07:33 PM)broadzilla Wrote: In reading other articles, I am understanding that he had Aspergers and a mental illness. His brother hadn't seen him in 2 years, why would he know the exact diagnoses? Also, his brother was probably pretty distressed during his interviews...maybe later this week or next there will be more clarification.

I agree.
(12-14-2012, 01:25 PM)gapper Wrote: Understandable. Any caring person shares your frustration and hurt.
Of course, for the non-caring, they just use it as another avenue to attack our President.

Seems orygunluvr and Leonard are two peas in a pod. Just hours after such a tragic event to post on a public forum the things they have today is deplorable. Thank gawd neither (from what I gather) have children likely to carry on their genes. SCUM!
(12-14-2012, 11:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-14-2012, 01:25 PM)gapper Wrote: Understandable. Any caring person shares your frustration and hurt.
Of course, for the non-caring, they just use it as another avenue to attack our President.

Seems orygunluvr and Leonard are two peas in a pod. Just hours after such a tragic event to post on a public forum the things they have today is deplorable. Thank gawd neither (from what I gather) have children likely to carry on their genes. SCUM!

As a person who finds children far more interesting that most adults your comments are supercilious. And if one had to make the unfortunate choice; I would rather see 100 dead adults than one single child harmed in any way.

The fact that everyone is crying over this particular group of murdered children, killed by a lunatic with a gun at a school in one of the most violent nations on earth when there are ten of thousands of dead children that have been killed by you, through your government in the Middle East in the last 10 years alone, while playing, attending school, gathering wood and attending weddings is the hight of hypocrisy and shows that you people superficially care about children as it's only the exceptional American children that seem to count to you.

All dead children will not see their graduation, weddings, their children or grandchildren no matter their race, creed, colour or nation of origin.

Jesus said, "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." And I think he also said something about killing another human being and vengeance is the Lords not yours, but then they murdered him too.
(12-15-2012, 12:39 AM)Leonard Wrote:
(12-14-2012, 11:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

As a person who finds children far more interesting that most adults your comments are supercilious. And if one had to make the unfortunate choice; I would rather see 100 dead adults than one single child harmed in any way.

The fact that everyone is crying over this particular group of murdered children, killed by a lunatic with a gun at a school in one of the most violent nations on earth when there are ten of thousands of dead children that have been killed by you, through your government in the Middle East in the last 10 years alone, while playing, attending school, gathering wood and attending weddings is the hight of hypocrisy and shows that you people superficially care about children as it's only the exceptional American children that seem to count to you.

All dead children will not see their graduation, weddings, their children or grandchildren no matter their race, creed, colour or nation of origin.

Jesus said, "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." And I think he also said something about killing another human being and vengeance is the Lords not yours, but then they murdered him too.

Fuck you! POSPA!