Why is this House Only $650? Bad Area?
Thanking my Medford friends in advance Smiling

http://medford.craigslist.org/apa/3489769349.html
I don't think that's considered a great area, no.
(12-19-2012, 05:55 PM)Clone Wrote: Thanking my Medford friends in advance Smiling

Yeah Clone, it's not a "great" neighborhood. So what? We've lived in places like this before, right? IMHO it's all about knowing how to live here, and my guess is you do. You may see some young guys, speaking something other than English, on the corner sharing a joint. So, you go about your business and don't give them a friggin; lecture. At night, whatever happens on the street, tend to your own business in the house and let the police take care stuff on the street. Folks here will take you for what you are, and if your are not a do-gooder loud mouth, you will do just fine. Again, IMHO.

Kind of small. Hey, how much room do two folks need if they sleep nice and close? Near lots of shopping and if you like Tex-Mex you are in the right place.

I don't have a clue about rent prices, so that I can't comment about.

Good luck. Would love to have you in town so we could do coffee.
(12-19-2012, 05:55 PM)Clone Wrote: Thanking my Medford friends in advance Smiling

Having lived in Medford my whole life, this area can be a challenging environment depending on what you make of it. I grew up in the rural fringes of west Medford and live close to the Columbus Ave. area now. I think the gang issues have increased more in this area than in the past. As Wonky stated you have to know your surroundings and try not to stand out. My only concern would be the possibility of break-ins. Rent is priced accordingly, and seems fair to me. Homes in the central parts of Medford are small, but that was how they were constructed in the 40's and 50's.
It's small but cute and a fenced yard is nice to have. Smiling
(12-19-2012, 06:35 PM)Wonky Wrote: Yeah Clone, it's not a "great" neighborhood. So what? We've lived in places like this before, right? IMHO it's all about knowing how to live here, and my guess is you do. You may see some young guys, speaking something other than English, on the corner sharing a joint. So, you go about your business and don't give them a friggin; lecture. At night, whatever happens on the street, tend to your own business in the house and let the police take care stuff on the street. Folks here will take you for what you are, and if your are not a do-gooder loud mouth, you will do just fine. Again, IMHO.

Kind of small. Hey, how much room do two folks need if they sleep nice and close? Near lots of shopping and if you like Tex-Mex you are in the right place.

I don't have a clue about rent prices, so that I can't comment about.

Good luck. Would love to have you in town so we could do coffee.

You could even come over and play with my...................Keurig single cup coffee brewer! Laughing

I have a veritable plethora of choices in hot beverages...brewed almost instantly!

I was just wondering, thank you. I don't want to move during the holidays but I keep seeing more reasonably priced rentals in that area. Reasonably close to Trader Joes, even!

Out of all the complaints about this little place, it's been livable. But, to be honest, I think the lack of a washer and dryer is going to be the tipping point. We ALWAYS have laundry around. Ugh!
Oh, I know that house. It is very small. That probably has a lot to do with it. And it is right in the middle of the "hood". It's on a relatively busy part of the street, setting just down from the junior high. I walk by this house several times a week. This area of West Medford, in the old town area has a lot of crime. The Mission is around the corner and brings a huge element with it, and there is a lot of gang and drug activity and recent shootings. On the other hand, it is across from a house with a beatiful garden. There is a community garden around the corner a way. And it's not that bad.
Right down the street from Tia's. I know that house. It's lovely. I lived just a couple of blocks West of there on 2nd this summer. And I lived a block South on Palm during the year of my divorce.
You guys would like Talent though.
Small Town living. Big Grin
(12-19-2012, 07:35 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, I know that house. It is very small. That probably has a lot to do with it. And it is right in the middle of the "hood". It's on a relatively busy part of the street, setting just down from the junior high. I walk by this house several times a week. This area of West Medford, in the old town area has a lot of crime. The Mission is around the corner and brings a huge element with it, and there is a lot of gang and drug activity and recent shootings. On the other hand, it is across from a house with a beatiful garden. There is a community garden around the corner a way. And it's not that bad.

Thanks, everyone!
Sounds a bit too 'challenging' to me!
It's a cute little place, though...kinda art deco wannabe.
And it has a fancy bathroom sink! Big Grin
Lots of drugs and crime in that general area of town. $650 is about $200 too much.
(12-19-2012, 07:49 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Lots of drugs and crime in that general area of town. $650 is about $200 too much.

There's lots of drugs and crime everywhere, including E. Medford.
(12-19-2012, 07:58 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 07:49 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Lots of drugs and crime in that general area of town. $650 is about $200 too much.

There's lots of drugs and crime everywhere, including E. Medford.

It's more concentrated in that area though.
If you can find a house anywhere in the RV for $450, I'm interested.
I'll agree there's more on the West Side, but that's a pretty OK area, as far as I'm concerned. More to the South of Main is worse to me. I've lived in some pretty dicey areas of big cities, so I guess the idea of Medford having a "Ghetto"
sort of makes me laugh.

You won't find anything that cheap anywhere, not in this neighborhood at all.
(12-19-2012, 07:44 PM)Clone Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 07:35 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, I know that house. It is very small. That probably has a lot to do with it. And it is right in the middle of the "hood". It's on a relatively busy part of the street, setting just down from the junior high. I walk by this house several times a week. This area of West Medford, in the old town area has a lot of crime. The Mission is around the corner and brings a huge element with it, and there is a lot of gang and drug activity and recent shootings. On the other hand, it is across from a house with a beatiful garden. There is a community garden around the corner a way. And it's not that bad.

Thanks, everyone!
Sounds a bit too 'challenging' to me!
It's a cute little place, though...kinda art deco wannabe.
And it has a fancy bathroom sink! Big Grin

I have a feeling that storage space is at a premium in that place.
Yeah, I watch craigslist quite a bit. I think rents are heading up, myself.
When we first moved to GP you could see a crappy one bedroom in a sleazy apartment complex for $450...now, once in a while you see a studio for that much. But not often.

There used to be a ton of 2 bedroom rentals on CL for $550-650.

Now they're rare...and, I can't believe how many are $950 - $2000!
(12-19-2012, 08:52 PM)Clone Wrote: Yeah, I watch craigslist quite a bit. I think rents are heading up, myself.
When we first moved to GP you could see a crappy one bedroom in a sleazy apartment complex for $450...now, once in a while you see a studio for that much. But not often.

There used to be a ton of 2 bedroom rentals on CL for $550-650.

Now they're rare...and, I can't believe how many are $950 - $2000!

Rents in West Medford soared with the housing bubble as home costs soared. The house next to me, which is tiny, and unimproved went from 60,000 to 150,000 in the space of about 5 or 6 years. I think they might have leveled out.
or descended.
I'll scout around T-Town for you, Clone. You guys deserve to be near Ashlandia.
Believe it or not, GP is my first love.
I sometimes just sit on a rock on the bank of the Rogue and it speaks to me.
I love all the county parks.
BUT, Jackson County has law enforcement available when one calls 911.
I recently heard of someone getting in an accident in Josephine County and waiting three hours for the cops.