Websites Vary Prices According to Demographics
Oh, the tangled web we weave with all that information, eh?
I'm so gullible, I had never even thought of this!
So, when you live way out in the boonies, there's no competition, so they stick it
to ya.

From the Wall Street Journal:

By JENNIFER VALENTINO-DEVRIES, JEREMY SINGER-VINE and ASHKAN SOLTANI

It was the same Swingline stapler, on the same Staples.com website. But for Kim Wamble, the price was $15.79, while the price on Trude Frizzell's screen, just a few miles away, was $14.29.

A key difference: where Staples seemed to think they were located.

A Wall Street Journal investigation found that the Staples Inc. website displays different prices to people after estimating their locations. More than that, Staples appeared to consider the person's distance from a rival brick-and-mortar store, either OfficeMax Inc or Office Depot Inc. If rival stores were within 20 miles or so, Staples.com usually showed a discounted price.

"How can they get away with that?" said Ms. Frizzell, who works in Bergheim, Texas.

In retail competition with its rivals—the Journal's testing also showed that areas that tended to see the discounted prices had a higher average income than areas that tended to see higher prices.

Presented with the Journal's findings, Staples acknowledged that it varies its online and in-store prices by geography because of "a variety of factors" including "costs of doing business."

For years, the Internet, with its promise of quick comparison shopping, has granted people a certain power over retailers. At the click of a button, shoppers could find a better deal elsewhere, no travel required.

But the idea of an unbiased, impersonal Internet is fast giving way to an online world that, in reality, is increasingly tailored and targeted. Websites are adopting techniques to glean information about visitors to their sites, in real time, and then deliver different versions of the Web to different people. Prices change, products get swapped out, wording is modified, and there is little way for the typical website user to spot it when it happens.

Rest of Article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...81534.html
Since I live in the boonies I'd expect Staples to charge me more, and maybe talk to me with some cornpone talk like the old mother earth news did.
Duh. So does WalMart. Eagle Point prices differ from Medford prices.
Higher on the ammunition, I imagine. Smiling
Medford was higher a few years ago on house paint. That was the first time I noticed. I had my color all picked out and Eagle point was out of one of the mixers. i went to Medford and the same product was SUBSTANTIALY higher. When I asked why, they told me that their prices were based on area demographics.
(12-23-2012, 09:57 PM)Larry Wrote: Duh. So does WalMart. Eagle Point prices differ from Medford prices.

That's not what we all planned on when online shopping started.
It was touted as the great equalizer, the way to comparison shop.
The only difference was the shipping costs, according to distance.
So, people out in the outback, such as PonderThis, as long as they
could pay for the shipping, had the same options as everyone else.
Sure blame the demographics.
Then don't shop online. Every time you buy something from some online store you're killing local jobs, as well as the local economy overall.
Local stores have already priced in the demographics. Smiling
(12-24-2012, 09:15 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Then don't shop online. Every time you buy something from some online store you're killing local jobs, as well as the local economy overall.

local stores don't have the inventory.
(12-24-2012, 09:51 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 09:15 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: Then don't shop online. Every time you buy something from some online store you're killing local jobs, as well as the local economy overall.

True, but what did people around these parts do before the internet?
(12-24-2012, 10:06 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

They went without.
(12-24-2012, 10:08 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 10:06 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

They went without.

From what I've seen people didn't go without much. They just pay a little less now than then.

True! I looked ALL OVER my town and 2 nearby towns for my parent's Christmas gift.
No one had it in stock and no one could get it to me before Christmas.
I eventually did get it... online... with an in-store pick up on Dec. 21st... through the Devil store Walmart. And... I saved $16 over any local price quote. And... I got free shipping, which none of the local businesses offered. And... the hard working, under paid, under benefited, just another number, employees were all very kind and helpful... service with a smile!
Damn that Devil Walmart! Evil Razz Wink
(12-24-2012, 10:06 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: what did people around these parts do before the internet?

My Portland phone book was one of my biggest friends.
(12-24-2012, 10:19 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 10:06 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: what did people around these parts do before the internet?

My Portland phone book was one of my biggest friends.

I was told when I moved here that it was mail order Medford. Funny thing though, I have had to order very few things from the internet. I have managed to find most everything but a few really specialty items that are out of the norm.

I buy my toilet paper locally. I think it's made back east.
(Don't buy Texas TP, it won't take shift off off anybody)
(12-24-2012, 11:31 AM)chuck white Wrote: (Don't buy Texas TP, it won't take shift off off anybody)

It's a good thing we know what you mean. Smiling
That smell checker....didn't catch the 'h'