Another Day, Another Shooting
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2012/1...story.html

Two firefighters in Rochester, NY (wayyyyyy upstate) were shot and killed as they responded to a fire at 5:30 a.m. on Christmas Eve. This is just tragic... Has this country lost its collective mind?! Crying
Ho hum.
Well people involved in a fire fight, can expect someone to be shot.
Same shit happened during the Rodney King riots. Fire chiefs, captains, fire marshalls, and fire inspectors in Cali have been armed and have had bullet proof vests for many years already. Looks like more jurisdictions should be doing the same.
Quote:news10nbc ?@news10nbc
Webster Police: The suspect, William Spengler, 62. He was arrested in 1980 for killing his grandmother and served time until 1998.
And they found human remains in his house-- probably his 67 year old sister-- this guy was a career criminal of the sociopathic kind. He started a fire to lure in firefighters ad responders. That fire alone could have killed people easily.

Legally- as a felon- he couldn't have brought weapons under the current laws regardless.... but hey, criminals always follow laws, right?

The problem with many plotting the ban of all guns is they paint legal, law abiding citizens with the same brush as this psychotic criminal. Two very different groups of people. It's comparing apples to ornges.
As long as apples have guns, oranges will have guns too. Oranges won't stop getting guns until they're not so available in our general society.
(12-26-2012, 11:05 AM)PonderThis Wrote: As long as apples have guns, oranges will have guns too. Oranges won't stop getting guns until they're not so available in our general society.

The government should set an example.
Disarm the military first and the people will follow.
So he used a Bushmaster. Is this now the weapon of choice among suicidal maniacs?
Should drive their stock prices up accordingly.
"Ask The Man Who Owns One"
http://www.news10.net/news/article/22219...e-invasion
Shooting spree in Aurora Co.......again.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/wom...der/nTm7s/

Another day, another family saved.
(01-05-2013, 08:27 PM)Larry Wrote: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/wom...der/nTm7s/

Not quite a shooting spree and it appears a proper use. It isn't about guns to me, it's about type of gun and do people that own them have proper screening and training.
(01-06-2013, 09:37 AM)Willie Krash Wrote:
(01-05-2013, 08:27 PM)Larry Wrote: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/wom...der/nTm7s/

Not quite a shooting spree and it appears a proper use. It isn't about guns to me, it's about type of gun and do people that own them have proper screening and training.

If that's what IT is about then I wonder what percentage of gun deaths are attributed to the TYPE of gun you speak of?

I have to assume you are referring to assault rifles with high capacity magazines.

Because IMO the total amount of gun deaths is really the problem and these type of spree killings always bring the public attention to that number.

So even with this proper screening and training for people with assault rifles with high capacity magazines, will the number of gun deaths actually have a significant drop?
I don't think it will because I think what keeps our gun death totals so high are criminals in our inner cities. And instead of going with sensationalized news and media hype we should look at the REAL problem
[Image: deaths_zps8f3bf9db.jpg]
This was already posted today, and forgets to mention 30,000 handgun deaths.
Good Morning Aurora Co,

Don't you just love the smell of gun powder in the morning?

[Image: Good-Morning-Vietnam-robin-williams-3095...6-2136.jpg]
Sounds like Grants Pass last night.
(01-06-2013, 02:00 PM)Larry Wrote: [Image: deaths_zps8f3bf9db.jpg]

I wonder what the ratio of lives saved to lives lost is when you look at medical malpractice and firearms...

Numbers don't tell the whole story. And guns are made to kill. Medicine is made to save.

When medicine works, it saves lives. Occasionally there are problems and someone dies.

When guns work, someone dies. Occasionally it is in self defense, and saves a life.
(01-06-2013, 03:37 PM)csrowan Wrote: When guns work, someone dies. Occasionally it is in self defense, and saves a life.

Not true. The mere presence of a gun can be a very effective deterrent to bad things happening. You don't have to actually fire a gun for it to "work."

I'll go a step further and suggest that the simple 'right' of the general population to own guns is itself a deterrent to crime. I believe that even the possibility of there being a gun in a home prevents many break-ins. Just think of how brave a burglar would be if they KNEW that their victims were unarmed by law.