Do You Struggle Trying to Say a Certain Word
Mine is:

in·im·i·ta·ble

/i?nimit?b?l/
Adjective
So good or unusual as to be impossible to copy; unique.

Synonyms
unique - incomparable - matchless

--------------------------

It's a great word...I use it in writing..BUT..I have to pause before saying it and sometimes it still doesn't come out right.
Massachusetts. I can not say that state at all. My kids ave me say it and then start laughing because of the way I say it it sounds like I am cussing.
Debbie Spurk next door when I was growing up always said Spasghetti, not spaghetti
(12-26-2012, 11:41 PM)Clone Wrote: Mine is:

in·im·i·ta·ble

/i?nimit?b?l/
Adjective

Synonyms

It's a great word...I use it in writing..BUT..I have to pause before saying it and sometimes it still doesn't come out right.

My speaking vocabulary in much different than my writing. I doubt I'd use inimitable in conversation, but might use it when writing. Maybe...
I'd guess this is true of many, but don't really know.
(12-27-2012, 07:53 AM)blondemom Wrote: Massachusetts. I can not say that state at all. My kids ave me say it and then start laughing because of the way I say it it sounds like I am cussing.

Now that you mention it, I can say it, but at a slower pace.

I've known folks who can't say aluminum.
(12-27-2012, 11:08 AM)Wonky Wrote: My speaking vocabulary in much different than my writing. I doubt I'd use inimitable in conversation, but might use it when writing. Maybe...

It's a good word...can't you just see some of us gathered for coffee and someone saying: "Let's ask the inimitable Mr. Wonkers his opinion on the matter?" Big Grin
(12-27-2012, 11:35 AM)Clone Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 11:08 AM)Wonky Wrote: My speaking vocabulary in much different than my writing. I doubt I'd use inimitable in conversation, but might use it when writing. Maybe...

It's a good word...can't you just see some of us gathered for coffee and someone saying: "Let's ask the inimitable Mr. Wonkers his opinion on the matter?" Big Grin

Wow. Wink
I was just sayin'...
(12-27-2012, 11:08 AM)Wonky Wrote:

in·im·i·ta·ble

/i?nimit?b?l/
Adjective

Synonyms

My speaking vocabulary in much different than my writing. I doubt I'd use inimitable in conversation, but might use it when writing. Maybe...

Of course it is, they're called posersLaughing If you write in a different manor than you speak, what does that mean? A wanna be George Will?Razz
Personally I won't use a word as obscure as the one Clone used in a conversation with anyone unless I was pretty sure they would know what I was talking about.

With my friends they usually don't anyway unless the word beer comes up. And there's no struggle saying that word until you've drank 17 or so.

But I the truth is that you can't embarrass someone if you are writing to them. You may teach someone something. So Pose on posers and thanks Clone for teaching me a new word that I can't even pronounce soberBig Grin
(12-27-2012, 12:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:

in·im·i·ta·ble

/i?nimit?b?l/
Adjective

Synonyms

Of course it is, they're called posersLaughing If you write in a different manor than you speak, what does that mean? A wanna be George Will?Razz
Personally I won't use a word as obscure as the one Clone used in a conversation with anyone unless I was pretty sure they would know what I was talking about.

With my friends they usually don't anyway unless the word beer comes up. And there's no struggle saying that word until you've drank 17 or so.

But I the truth is that you can't embarrass someone if you are writing to them. You may teach someone something. So Pose on posers and thanks Clone for teaching me a new word that I can't even pronounce soberBig Grin

Well...
Often my writing vocabulary does differ from my everyday speech.
So, I'm a "poser"?
So be it. Just one of my many, many, faults. And still, as near perfect as a mortal can be. Laughing
(12-27-2012, 12:15 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 12:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:

in·im·i·ta·ble

/i?nimit?b?l/
Adjective

Synonyms

Well...
Often my writing vocabulary does differ from my everyday speech.
So, I'm a "poser"?
So be it. Just one of my many, many, faults. And still, as near perfect as a mortal can be. Laughing

Most everybody on forums are posers. Just different levels. Did I ever mention I look like a cross between Brad Pitt And that Remington Steel guy?

Think about it Wonky.. If you sound different when I read your words than you do when I converse in person? Doesn't that mean that you have misrepresented yourself in a way?
IMO we all do this and "poser" was a joking way to describe what I mean.

It's much easier to choose the right words when typing or even to rephrase what you just wrote.You can't do that when you are just talking. Some probably even use a thesaurus.
(12-27-2012, 12:30 PM)tvguy Wrote: Some probably even use a thesaurus.

They'er extinct, I checked.

[Image: extirpation.jpg]
(12-27-2012, 03:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 12:30 PM)tvguy Wrote: Some probably even use a thesaurus.

They'er extinct, I checked.

[Image: extirpation.jpg]

well yeah, you can ride one town to the libaryRazz Spell check screwed me againLaughing
I am in real life exactly as portrayed on this forum. LaughingNinjaCool
Euler

I keep wanting to pronounce his name U-ler

But it really is oil-ler.
I always read 'misled' as my-zulled and then correct myself.
detritus
(12-28-2012, 01:47 PM)Tiamat Wrote: detritus

I have always read this word, I don't recall ever speaking it.
(thank goodness)

At 63 years of age, I now notice that second 't' and, yes, it IS an awkward word!

For some reason, I always thought it was detrius. Go figure.
(12-28-2012, 02:05 PM)Clone Wrote:

(thank goodness)

At 63 years of age, I now notice that second 't' and, yes, it IS an awkward word!

"duhTRYtus'
(12-28-2012, 02:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-28-2012, 02:05 PM)Clone Wrote:

(thank goodness)

"duhTRYtus'

My sincere thanks..I will continue to learn, hopefully, until the day I die Smiling

Who knew detritus rhymed with arthritis????
http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-obso...-comeback/
If we all start using them, these words can be resurrected.
DURING MY UNDERGRADUATE studies as a Linguistics major, one of the things that struck me most is the amazing fluidity of language. New words are created; older words go out of style. Words can change meaning over time, vowel sounds shift, consonants are lost or added and one word becomes another. Living languages refuse to be static.

The following words have sadly disappeared from modern English, but it’s easy to see how they could be incorporated into everyday conversation.

Words are from Erin McKean’s two-volume series: Weird and Wonderful Words and Totally Weird and Wonderful Words. Definitions have been quoted from the Oxford English Dictionary.

1. Jargogle

Verb trans. – “To confuse, jumble” – First of all this word is just fun to say in its various forms. John Locke used the word in a 1692 publication, writing “I fear, that the jumbling of those good and plausible Words in your Head..might a little jargogle your Thoughts…” I’m planning to use it next time my husband attempts to explain complicated Physics concepts to me for fun: “Seriously, I don’t need you to further jargogle my brain.”

2. Deliciate

Verb intr. – “To take one’s pleasure, enjoy oneself, revel, luxuriate” – Often I feel the word “enjoy” just isn’t enough to describe an experience, and “revel” tends to conjure up images of people dancing and spinning around in circles – at least in my head. “Deliciate” would be a welcome addition to the modern English vocabulary, as in “After dinner, we deliciated in chocolate cream pie.”

3. Corrade

Verb trans. – “To scrape together; to gather together from various sources” – I’m sure this wasn’t the original meaning of the word, but when I read the definition I immediately thought of copy-pasting. Any English teacher can picture what a corraded assignment looks like.

4. Kench

Verb intr. – “To laugh loudly” – This Middle English word sounds like it would do well in describing one of those times when you inadvertently laugh out loud while reading a text message in class and manage to thoroughly embarrass yourself.

Photo: Liz West

5. Ludibrious

Adj. – “Apt to be a subject of jest or mockery” – This word describes a person, thing or situation that is likely to be the butt of jokes. Use it when you want to sound justified in poking fun at someone. “How could I resist? He’s just so ludibrious.”

6. Sanguinolency

Noun – “Addiction to bloodshed” – Could be a useful word for history majors and gamers, as in “Genghis Khan was quite the sanguinolent fellow” or “Do you think spending six hours a day playing Postal 2 actually fosters sanguinolency?”

7. Jollux

Noun - Slang phrase used in the late 18th century to describe a “fat person” – Although I’m not sure whether this word was used crudely or in more of a lighthearted manner, to me it sounds like a nicer way to refer to someone who is overweight. “Fat” has such a negative connotation in English, but if you say “He’s a bit of a jollux” it doesn’t sound so bad!

8. Malagrugrous

Adj. – “Dismal” – This adjective is from Scots and may be derived from an old Irish word that refers to the wrinkling of one’s brow. An 1826 example of its use is “He looketh malagrugorous and world-wearied.” I’m tempted to also make the word into a noun: “Stop being such a malagrug!”

9. Brabble

Verb – “To quarrel about trifles; esp. to quarrel noisily, brawl, squabble” – Brabble basically means to argue loudly about something that doesn’t really matter, as in “Why are we still brabbling about who left the dirty spoon on the kitchen table?” You can also use it as a noun: “Stop that ridiculous brabble and do something useful!”

10. Freck

Verb intr. – “To move swiftly or nimbly” – I can think of a lot of ways to use this one, like “I hate it when I’m frecking through the airport and other people are going so slow.”

continued....