Mushroom Hunters
(03-09-2013, 08:04 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-09-2013, 08:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2013, 06:09 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Oil is sometimes used for catching gnats and small insects, and it's the stickiness that catches them. Sometimes there's a specific color that's attractive, such as yellow for whiteflies, and if you coat something yellow colored with oil you catch them. (Other sticky substances last longer than oil though.)

Well yeah I know that once they land it's the stickiness that catches them, der.

I just always wondered what it was in the scent of the oil that attracts them. I assume the oil is similar to pheromones from females or something.

You can't accept the fact that when gnats are present they land on things, and if those things are sticky at least some of them are going to get caught? I don't think you've proven causation here.

Accept the fact? Oils OTHER Than hydraulic jack oil don't end up covered with gnats just because ( as you want to think) ten million gnats just happened to land there??

I guess fruit flies just happen to land on Bananas tooLaughing

OK, if I was to argue the opposite, I'd say at least some oils have an ingredient that smells like fish oil. It's not though. I've researched WD40 before and found that. If I really believed this argument I'd look it up, just for arguments sake. But I already have seen oil mentioned as a sticky substance to catch insects in books going back at least 40 years, and I've never seen anything mentioning the smell of oil itself being attractant, so I'm not predisposed to believe this argument anyways. Smiling
[/quote]
Try motor oil covering whatever the same surface that jack oil leaked on. It will work just as well. Just as one example. Probably canola oil similarly. It's the viscosity that's sticking them, not the oil as an attractant.

If you think I'm wrong, find me even one internet citation disputing me. You keep discounting that I have a background in non-pesticide pest controls, and insect trapping is a very old technology.
Quote:South Coast open for mussel harvest
The state has reopened a portion of the southern Oregon coast to recreational mussel harvesting.

Shellfish samples taken from the area between Cape Arago to the California line show levels of paralytic shellfish toxins have dropped below the alert level.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/Sou...isc2A.cspx

I'm not sure if you need a license.

Mussel chowder is great.
(03-10-2013, 02:46 PM)PonderThis Wrote: If you think I'm wrong, find me even one internet citation disputing me. You keep discounting that I have a background in non-pesticide pest controls, and insect trapping is a very old technology.

You should have stuck with the fish oil or something IN the hydraulic oil was an attractant.
Your theory assumes that gnats land on everything in sight by the thousands and only stick to the oil.
Sorry but I have plenty of other oily things only not hydraulic oil and I never see a million gnats stuck too them.

Quote:Try motor oil covering whatever the same surface that jack oil leaked on. It will work just as well. Just as one example. Probably canola oil similarly. It's the viscosity that's sticking them, not the oil as an attractant.

I don't need to experiment, I already have. I've made dozens of earwig traps with vegetable oil. The earwigs are attracted and drown. But no gnats.
I was carrying a Volkswagon engine, when I stepprd the oil. It wasn't very sticky, at all. It took years, to get my finger working right again.