Mushroom Hunters
That's what I already said. You didn't believe me, did ya? Smiling
I notice that some forum members wallow in shit.
(03-09-2013, 06:27 AM)PonderThis Wrote: That's what I already said. You didn't believe me, did ya? Smiling

Oh I believed you, funny thing was, as I was checking out my news sources. A recent article pop right up.
(03-08-2013, 08:56 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Speaking of "marked territory", I don't like to see anything wasted if something else wants to use it, so I try to return as much nutrient as possible back to the earth. That includes spent coffee grounds, and pee.

I've noticed over the years that honeybees seem particularly attracted to coffee grounds that have been peed on - they'll actually cluster on it, and it has nothing to do with whether the rest of the ground is damp or not either. Today I was reading that honeybees are particularly attracted to very small doses of caffeine that's in flowers, and it invigorates their minds and gives them a little perk up. OK, so that explains the coffee grounds part. But coffee grounds without that little something extra, while attractive to the bees too, is nowhere's near as attractive as coffee grounds that've been peed on. (I've been studying this phenomena for three or four years now). So today I googled urine and honeybees, and sure enough, people are mentioning the attraction bees have for urine (they usually mention dog urine), and there's a story out of India where they're curing bee larval diseases with cow urine! I feel like I'm on the cutting edge of some scientific breakthrough, and I don't know what to do with it. Smiling

Wow, a brand new way to spread infection. Hep c for honey lovers.
Is your honey tasting a bit off these days? Smiling

[Image: honey.jpg]
Bee stings can cure aids, not sure about Hepatitis.
I think you'll need to provide some citations for that one.

(Although, I've kept bees and been stung by bees, and don't think I've got AIDs, so maybe you're right.)
(03-09-2013, 08:48 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I think you'll need to provide some citations for that one.

(Although, I've kept bees and been stung by bees, and don't think I've got AIDs, so maybe you're right.)

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/444192...school.htm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/...873836.cms
You haven't made the case that bee stings can "cure AIDs" though. They're only talking about a vaginal gel that might stop it in the first place.
(03-08-2013, 08:56 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Speaking of "marked territory", I don't like to see anything wasted if something else wants to use it, so I try to return as much nutrient as possible back to the earth. That includes spent coffee grounds, and pee.

I've noticed over the years that honeybees seem particularly attracted to coffee grounds that have been peed on - they'll actually cluster on it, and it has nothing to do with whether the rest of the ground is damp or not either. Today I was reading that honeybees are particularly attracted to very small doses of caffeine that's in flowers, and it invigorates their minds and gives them a little perk up. OK, so that explains the coffee grounds part. But coffee grounds without that little something extra, while attractive to the bees too, is nowhere's near as attractive as coffee grounds that've been peed on. (I've been studying this phenomena for three or four years now). So today I googled urine and honeybees, and sure enough, people are mentioning the attraction bees have for urine (they usually mention dog urine), and there's a story out of India where they're curing bee larval diseases with cow urine! I feel like I'm on the cutting edge of some scientific breakthrough, and I don't know what to do with it. Smiling

Years ago there used to me a lot of bee hives near where I live. More than a couple of times these honey bees were attracted to my kitchen window trying to get through the screen. I always wondered what attracted them. The coffee pot was right there Hmmmm.

I wonder if anyone else ever noticed that small Gnats of some kind are attracted to hydraulic jack oil?
If you have camper jacks that leak oil thousand of these little bugs will land on it and die. I always thought that was odd. OK no practical use for that one.
There's no practical use for gnats, so it sounds like a good tradeoff to me.
(03-09-2013, 03:22 PM)bbqboy Wrote: There's no practical use for gnats, so it sounds like a good tradeoff to me.

What if you used the smell of the oil to capture the gnats before they were contaminated and sold them for fish food?
Oil is sometimes used for catching gnats and small insects, and it's the stickiness that catches them. Sometimes there's a specific color that's attractive, such as yellow for whiteflies, and if you coat something yellow colored with oil you catch them. (Other sticky substances last longer than oil though.)
Meat bees can cure lethargy.
(03-09-2013, 07:55 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Meat bees can cure lethargy.

Big Grin
(03-09-2013, 06:09 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Oil is sometimes used for catching gnats and small insects, and it's the stickiness that catches them. Sometimes there's a specific color that's attractive, such as yellow for whiteflies, and if you coat something yellow colored with oil you catch them. (Other sticky substances last longer than oil though.)

Well yeah I know that once they land it's the stickiness that catches them, der.

I just always wondered what it was in the scent of the oil that attracts them. I assume the oil is similar to pheromones from females or something.
(03-09-2013, 07:55 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Meat bees can cure lethargy.

I wonder How many people know that meat attracts meat bee's?Razz
(03-09-2013, 08:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2013, 06:09 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Oil is sometimes used for catching gnats and small insects, and it's the stickiness that catches them. Sometimes there's a specific color that's attractive, such as yellow for whiteflies, and if you coat something yellow colored with oil you catch them. (Other sticky substances last longer than oil though.)

Well yeah I know that once they land it's the stickiness that catches them, der.

I just always wondered what it was in the scent of the oil that attracts them. I assume the oil is similar to pheromones from females or something.

You can't accept the fact that when gnats are present they land on things, and if those things are sticky at least some of them are going to get caught? I don't think you've proven causation here.

OK, if I was to argue the opposite, I'd say at least some oils have an ingredient that smells like fish oil. It's not though. I've researched WD40 before and found that. If I really believed this argument I'd look it up, just for arguments sake. But I already have seen oil mentioned as a sticky substance to catch insects in books going back at least 40 years, and I've never seen anything mentioning the smell of oil itself being attractant, so I'm not predisposed to believe this argument anyways. Smiling
I'm confused. women smell like motor oil? Is that what attracts us?
(03-09-2013, 08:07 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I'm confused. women smell like motor oil? Is that what attracts us?

I'm attracted to the ones that smell like pizza.