My insurance company offers me a free GPS.
My insurance company has offered me a free GPS. It will chart, left turns, right turns, how I accelerate, how hard I brake and if I go over 80mph. I could get a discount. Up to 11%.
OTOH my premium could go up..!
I see two sides to this issue and personally I think the offer is suspect.
Would you take that offer?
Could you save in the short term but lose in the long term?
Who gets copies of the charts?
(01-16-2013, 08:55 AM)Willie Krash Wrote: My insurance company has offered me a free GPS. It will chart, left turns, right turns, how I accelerate, how hard I brake and if I go over 80mph. I could get a discount. Up to 11%.
OTOH my premium could go up..!
I see two sides to this issue and personally I think the offer is suspect.
Would you take that offer?
Could you save in the short term but lose in the long term?

I have Progressive. They have a device that tracks when you use your car, how hard you brake, and similar things. According to the terms and conditions, they cannot increase your rates based on the results. You can either qualify for a discount or not... According to the terms and conditions...

However, the last time I managed to talk them into giving me a couple of discounts, they rose my rate by close to the same amount...

And in my searches for better rates, I have been unable to find anyone who can beat my current rates. When I was speaking to a Progressive representative about the possibility of lowering my rates, I was informed that they can't just lower them... I have to qualify for specific discounts. Which makes me wonder if it's worth it to stick their device in my car. Even if it reports that I'm a great driver, I don't know if I can actually qualify for any more discounts.
No, I would not accept the offer.
I turned my insurance company down just yesterday when they called me about this. (Do you have SF too?)
I suppose it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I find it suspect that anyone should have the ability to track my movements. I'm not doing or planning on doing anything wrong, it just rubs me the wrong way how this devise could be abused.
I wouldn't take it, and I'm a very careful driver.
Slow and easy does it. My hubby has a very bad neck, even with support.
Take it willie. It's very important for your well being that your moves be tracked. It might just help with new costly legiation that might save 1 life, it might help create 1 job (of course the cost will be $1,000,000.00 per job), help with climate change, and of course gun control. I have to ask why you would even question authority like that. Of course it would be for the common good of man. If your chosen One asked would you comply?
Take it willie. It's very important for your well being that your moves be tracked. It might just help with new costly legiation that might save 1 life, it might help create 1 job (of course the cost will be $1,000,000.00 per job), help with climate change, and of course gun control. I have to ask why you would even question authority like that. Of course it would be for the common good of man. If your chosen One asked would you comply without question?
(01-16-2013, 09:38 AM)broadzilla Wrote: I turned my insurance company down just yesterday when they called me about this. (Do you have SF too?)

I do.
I find the offer to be a bit troubling. They set my rates using variables known and unknown. It should be part on my premium and is.* Now they want to discover the unknowns (braking, left/right turns, etc) and if they like what the see will reduce the premium, or raise it. That is to say my rate now includes what they don't know and is calculated to factor that in....They effectively want to reduce the pool of some drivers and enlarge it to others. I don't blame them but I will not go into this willingly.
Offer me a "no rate increase" if nothing else.

*This is to say I'm paying more to cover the risk about what they don't know and they suggest it could be higher..!!!
(01-16-2013, 01:28 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: Take it willie. It's very important for your well being that your moves be tracked. It might just help with new costly legiation that might save 1 life, it might help create 1 job (of course the cost will be $1,000,000.00 per job), help with climate change, and of course gun control. I have to ask why you would even question authority like that. Of course it would be for the common good of man. If your chosen One asked would you comply without question?

You hit the nail on the head but missed.
Here is how it works. They get the pools changed and like Healthcare, we don't want old people.
Here is the real way. The insurance lobby tells "it's" congressman we must have a law or REGULATION to do this as we want to save lives. Noble indeed. Who could say no.
When it passes the older drivers or whoever doesn't meet their criteria will howl as their premiums go up. Big gov't, and all of that.
The insurance lobby will blame it on regulations and the gov't while on the way to the bank with your money.

You get to be indignation, blame liberals and the gov't.
A perfect system if you area corporation.
See I told you the liberals wanted you out of cars that why a GPS is mandated by law...Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Powned.
If I could turn it off and on, I might do it.
Also it would be fun to take it on a boat once in a while.
You could make it a tin foil hat.
It's not because of the huge rebate, they'd give me, that I'm not opposed to the idea. What do I care, what they know? And "Privacy"? That's the first thing you'd lose, if I was emperor. Every gun nut, would sit down and have a chat. Every druggie, too. Probably, everybody. On the day, you come in to pick up your big voting check. If I'm emperor, you're gonna get paid to vote. So, I stay emperor.