Subway Footlong is only 11"
(01-19-2013, 11:18 AM)Larry Wrote: I can't believe this matters to anyone. At all.

I strongly support truth in advertising. It matters a lot to me. Businesses should be ethical in their communications with the public.

I think all advertisements should meet certain standards.

Here's a tongue-in-cheek mandatory food advertising script.

ANNOUNCER:
I'm here to sell you food or beverage X.

In an independent double blind study against comparable food or beverage Y, # out of 100 people found X somewhat better than Y. # out of 100 found it much better than Y. # out of 100 liked them both equally. # out of 100 liked Y better than X. And # out of 100 didn't care for either one.

Food or beverage X has # calories, is/is not categorized as 'healthy' by independent nutrition firm Z, and contains [insert substance here] which has been proven in independent double blind studies to improve/lessen/otherwise alter behavior/attribute N.

Our wholesale profit margin is $# per unit. The retailer's suggested markup is $# per unit. Our actual cost to produce the product is $# per unit.

Our lowest paid employees make $# per hour and average # hours per week. Here is a list of benefits given to the lowest paid employees [insert list here].

We would like your patronage. Please consider buying food or beverage X.
You know Clone hates algebra.
It is like Algebra. The same thing happens when I read that as when I read an Algebra question.:wacko:
Quote:[Image: r-SUBWAY-FOOTLONG-SCANDAL-large570.jpg?12]

Subway has clarified its stance on the bizarre "Footlong" controversy that has now gone viral on the internet. The chain supplied the following statement to the Chicago Tribune:

"We have redoubled our efforts to ensure consistency and correct length in every sandwich we serve. Our commitment remains steadfast to ensure that every Subway Footlong sandwich is 12 inches at each location worldwide."

If you haven't been following this mess, here's some background: What started as a Facebook post by Australian Subway customer Matt Corby decrying that his "Footlong" Subway sub was actually only 11 inches quickly snowballed into a full-scale catastrophe, gaining traction on the web.

Then, across the globe, two New Jersey men named Subway in a lawsuit taking the chain to task for selling "Footlong" sandwiches that measure less than 12 inches, followed by another suit filed by a Chicago man.

Although at the time of Corby's Facebook post, Subway Australia addressed the initial incident with a statement that said the "Footlong" is "not intended to be a measurement of length," it seems the company has since changed its mind.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25...lp00000003

Oh, if only Subway sandwiches truly looked like this!!!
The other day Good morning America, had something on this, and they checked 6 foot long and 5 of the foot longs were 12 inches and one of them was actually longer.
Amazing what a little publicity does.
(01-25-2013, 12:39 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Amazing what a little publicity does.

Yeah it probably made them a few million extra dollars.