Panetta opens combat roles to women.
Quote:WASHINGTON — Pentagon chief Leon Panetta has lifted the military's ban on women serving in combat, a move that will allow women into hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs, a senior Defense official said Wednesday.

The move, which was recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, overturns a 1994 rule banning women from such roles, said a Pentagon official speaking on anonymity because the decision has not been announced publicly.

Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women. It comes after more than 10 years of war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The official said the services will develop plans for allowing women to seek the combat positions. Some jobs may open as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

The official said the military chiefs must report back to Panetta with their initial implementation plans by May 15. The announcement on Panetta's decision is not expected until Thursday, so the official spoke on condition of anonymity.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

In recent years the necessities of war propelled women into jobs as medics, military police and intelligence officers that were sometimes attached — but not formally assigned — to units on the front lines.

Women comprise 14% of the 1.4 million active military personnel.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...n/1859221/
Women in combat. I thought this was Hilliary beating up GOP senators. What timing.
I don't see any reason women can't be as aggressive as men if they want to but I still don't see much if any good coming of it.
Maybe if we had an all girl military we'd just have pillow fights.
Finally the bra burning pays off.
Oh, it paid off a long time ago for us.
(01-23-2013, 06:05 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Finally the bra burning pays off.

That's just ugly, broadzilla.
Women in the military have fought for this for years.
If they want it, give it to them.
You're kinda stuck on the bra-burning thing, eh?
The bra burnings are history...time to move on. Wink
I'm curious about something. Do women have a .... Sorry, curious about that too, but staying on topic: I know Israel drafts women into the armed forces. I don't know if they are ever in combat units and subjected to "front line" live fire.

So, if we "allow" women in combat, would we ever draft them?

My own opinion is that our armed forces should be all female, but each woman have a man assigned to her to take care of her personal needs. I'd bet that most women would appreciate a good foot rub after a hard day of combat.
(01-23-2013, 06:14 PM)Clone Wrote:

All hail the mighty ACLU and women's movement. :wacko:

(Glad my daughter can never be drafted. Mandatory selective service will probably be brought up next for females.)

I initially meant it as a joke, but since you called it ugly...[Image: making-fun-054.GIF]
(01-23-2013, 06:15 PM)Wonky Wrote: I'm curious about something. Do women have a .... Sorry, curious about that too, but staying on topic: I know Israel drafts women into the armed forces. I don't know if they are ever in combat units and subjected to "front line" live fire.

So, if we "allow" women in combat, would we ever draft them?

My own opinion is that our armed forces should be all female, but each woman have a man assigned to her to take care of her personal needs. I'd bet that most women would appreciate a good foot rub after a hard day of combat.

watch out!
[Image: 484769_403188069768571_249251005_n.png]
Back about 35 years ago my wife told me she wanted to be liberated. Since she had a birthday coming up I got her a mechanics bib overalls, a socket set and some spark plugs, since her car needed those too at the time.

We didn't get along too well after that, and divorced a few years later. I still don't know why. Smiling
(01-23-2013, 06:23 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 06:14 PM)Clone Wrote:

All hail the mighty ACLU and women's movement. :wacko:

(Glad my daughter can never be drafted. Mandatory selective service will probably be brought up next for females.)

So little understanding of what freedom and democracy mean.
Your little wacko smiley says it all.
Let's send them to the slaughter if they want to end their lives fighting. Better than raising a happy family at home, cherished by a man.
(01-23-2013, 06:58 PM)tornado Wrote: Let's send them to the slaughter if they want to end their lives fighting. Better than raising a happy family at home, cherished by a man.

Or dominated by a man? Maybe wanting something should be good enough.
(01-23-2013, 05:38 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't see any reason women can't be as aggressive as men if they want to but I still don't see much if any good coming of it.

American women are a little different that Isreali or other middle eastern women. Many of those women have lived a battle hardened life. Thing is will our women be held to the same standards as men on the battle field as well as basic training. On an SF team they would have serious issues. 6 man teams are inserted into places for months at a time without more than a hole to crap in and handy wipes to bathe with. Men don't have the monthly cycle to deal with either. That brings up serious health issues without a proper place to cleanse.

Women jihadis are fierce fighters though. One of my buddy's had a team member blown all over him by a female jihadi.
(01-23-2013, 05:33 PM)csrowan Wrote: I guess everyone is too busy bashing each other to comment on a major news story.

Oh, but Rowan, they are commenting on it, they ARE!
(01-23-2013, 07:02 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 05:38 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't see any reason women can't be as aggressive as men if they want to but I still don't see much if any good coming of it.

American women are a little different that Isreali or other middle eastern women. Many of those women have lived a battle hardened life. Thing is will our women be held to the same standards as men on the battle field as well as basic training. On an SF team they would have serious issues. 6 man teams are inserted into places for months at a time without more than a hole to crap in and handy wipes to bathe with. Men don't have the monthly cycle to deal with either. That brings up serious health issues without a proper place to cleanse.

Women jihadis are fierce fighters though. One of my buddy's had a team member blown all over him by a female jihadi.

Tell us again just exactly where you served?
(01-23-2013, 07:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 06:58 PM)tornado Wrote: Let's send them to the slaughter if they want to end their lives fighting. Better than raising a happy family at home, cherished by a man.

Or dominated by a man? Maybe wanting something should be good enough.
Women don't need to be liberated, they just need for men to love them.

Wanting to fight in Afghanistan is less desirable than spending a day at the mall.
As usual, I don't see what the problem is. A soldier is a soldier is a soldier. If they want to be put in harms way to protect and serve in combat, let them.
The plight of a warrior nation? kiddies next.