question for the males or any else for that matter
ok the male child was able to get his drivers licenses. He is driving my truck, and my gas mileage has gone done considerably. He does do the jack rabbit starts and I think he drives with a heavy foot. Well i was talking to him about it today. The boy told me that it is a natural instinct for a boy to want to rev an engine and drive with a heavy foot. Now here is the question to the males and to the members here that have older sons, is that true? I am trying to be understanding here, and trying to remember back to my younger days and yes I did drag race but I do not remember my Dad fussing at me and I did ask my Dad about this and he said he doesn't remember fussing about me and the gas (it was the tires he fussed about).
Natural Instinct?!? Ha! You are smarter than that. Tell him natural instinct means he's on foot if he doesn't lighten up on the gas pedal.
Natural instinct? Phhh! That's just an excuse to say "But mom, I wanna have fun in the car! I don't wanna have to think about the gas and extra wear and tear I might be putting on the car. Let me be irresponsible a little longer."

Cultural instinct, perhaps.

DISCLAIMER: The above is the opinion of a guy who let his permit expire as a teenager, then waited another 5+ years before bothering to get a license.
(01-23-2013, 04:39 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Natural Instinct?!? Ha! You are smarter than that. Tell him natural instinct means he's on foot if he doesn't lighten up on the gas pedal.

I told him he was full of **it, and if he got a speeding ticket. the state may have given him his lic, by mama was going to take it away.
(01-23-2013, 04:41 PM)csrowan Wrote: Natural instinct? Phhh! That's just an excuse to say "But mom, I wanna have fun in the car! I don't wanna have to think about the gas and extra wear and tear I might be putting on the car. Let me be irresponsible a little longer."

Cultural instinct, perhaps.

DISCLAIMER: The above is the opinion of a guy who let his permit expire as a teenager, then waited another 5+ years before bothering to get a license.

You are right about the wear and tear on my truck.
He'd better learn to hold his natural instinct in check, or he won't have a vehicle to drive. That's what I'd tell him.
Fugetaboutit!

He's a guy. Of course he will "see what it'll do" when you are not there. He will also drive as far as possible UP creeks, in the deepest mud he can find, and drive a least a mile past the end of rural roads. He will pull stumps and push really big rocks.

He will cram at least 7 other people in the cab with him and one will have a "ghetto blaster" that will make more noise than a jet. There will be candy wrappers so deep you will never find the floor mats. (We are trusting here, there will be no beer cans). When the weather warms he will want to paint the truck. Not a color, you understand: Paint it. Words and symbols unknown to you. Soon, he will be asking for some "really trick" wheels and really big 'ol mud and snow tires.

You will come home one evening and the carburetor from the truck will be in pieces all over the kitchen table. What's wrong with it? Nothing. He just wanted to see how it's put together. (You will be without a truck until you talk someone into buying a new carb and installing it at the house).

But, alas, this will pass. He will get bored with trucks. Motorcycles will be next. then sports cars. (maybe reversed). Now he will be coming home with "chicks" who have nose rings and more tattoos than a sailor.

You have given birth to the male of the species. God help you!
Not sure what his restrictions are.
We used to disconnect the odometer cable so we could go on extended trips.
He also may be burning rubber and general goofing off.

Are you talking 1 10% drop or a 50% drop?
10% could easily be driving habits. Also it's cold. might be sitting somewhere with the heaters on.
(01-23-2013, 05:55 PM)Wonky Wrote: Fugetaboutit!

He's a guy. Of course he will "see what it'll do" when you are not there. He will also drive as far as possible UP creeks, in the deepest mud he can find, and drive a least a mile past the end of rural roads. He will pull stumps and push really big rocks.

He will cram at least 7 other people in the cab with him and one will have a "ghetto blaster" that will make more noise than a jet. There will be candy wrappers so deep you will never find the floor mats. (We are trusting here, there will be no beer cans). When the weather warms he will want to paint the truck. Not a color, you understand: Paint it. Words and symbols unknown to you. Soon, he will be asking for some "really trick" wheels and really big 'ol mud and snow tires.

You will come home one evening and the carburetor from the truck will be in pieces all over the kitchen table. What's wrong with it? Nothing. He just wanted to see how it's put together. (You will be without a truck until you talk someone into buying a new carb and installing it at the house).

But, alas, this will pass. He will get bored with trucks. Motorcycles will be next. then sports cars. (maybe reversed). Now he will be coming home with "chicks" who have nose rings and more tattoos than a sailor.

You have given birth to the male of the species. God help you!

If he can find the carburetor for that truck more power to him, it doesn't have one. He destroys my truck I kick his rear. In reality once I get my new vehicle he will be buying the truck off of us. When he had his permit we (his dad and I ) took him to a dry creek bed and we were teaching him how to play around with the truck. That part I understand. I understand the boy is a pig when it comes to trash and once a week I have to tell him he better clean out my truck.

Girls with nose rings I doubt will happen, tattoos not sure about, his sister has about 10 of them and she is a sailor.

And I am starting to hit my midlife crisis and I am wanting a motorcycle (a touring bike), and if I get it there is no way the boy child is be getting to use is it.

But what kills me is how much gas I am going through now.
Make sure he understands that speeding tickets are expensive.
Natural instinct my @$$.
He'll have fun, fun, fun 'til his mama takes the T-bird away-yayyyy.
(01-23-2013, 06:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: Not sure what his restrictions are.
We used to disconnect the odometer cable so we could go on extended trips.
He also may be burning rubber and general goofing off.

Are you talking 1 10% drop or a 50% drop?
10% could easily be driving habits. Also it's cold. might be sitting somewhere with the heaters on.
we have gone from 18 mpg down 11.. I do not think he knows how to do do the odometer cable. I do not think he even knows where it is.
(01-23-2013, 06:34 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Make sure he understands that speeding tickets are expensive.
Natural instinct my @$$.
He'll have fun, fun, fun 'til his mama takes the T-bird away-yayyyy.
It's the F-150 away Big Grin
Our son got a speeding ticket and lost the use of his car for a month... that sure made an impact! Wink
How are parents finding out all these things? I had my own car and bought my own gas too. Paid my own speeding tickets as well.

(They tried to control my spending but only succeeded in teaching me how to manipulate books at an early age.)
Our son was honest with us.
(01-23-2013, 04:36 PM)blondemom Wrote: ok the male child was able to get his drivers licenses. He is driving my truck, and my gas mileage has gone done considerably. He does do the jack rabbit starts and I think he drives with a heavy foot. Well i was talking to him about it today. The boy told me that it is a natural instinct for a boy to want to rev an engine and drive with a heavy foot. Now here is the question to the males and to the members here that have older sons, is that true? I am trying to be understanding here, and trying to remember back to my younger days and yes I did drag race but I do not remember my Dad fussing at me and I did ask my Dad about this and he said he doesn't remember fussing about me and the gas (it was the tires he fussed about).

Natural instinct. If he's old enough to drive he's old enough to look up the actual definition of "Instinct". Tell him, "nice try." Oh, and also tell him, to try that line on the Trooper who pulls him over and see how that goes over.Laughing
The death of a friend, put me off the pedal. But, we were both scared, it'd happen. Nothing natural. We never played, off the track. It's just Americanism. Stupid.
(01-23-2013, 06:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 04:36 PM)blondemom Wrote: ok the male child was able to get his drivers licenses. He is driving my truck, and my gas mileage has gone done considerably. He does do the jack rabbit starts and I think he drives with a heavy foot. Well i was talking to him about it today. The boy told me that it is a natural instinct for a boy to want to rev an engine and drive with a heavy foot. Now here is the question to the males and to the members here that have older sons, is that true? I am trying to be understanding here, and trying to remember back to my younger days and yes I did drag race but I do not remember my Dad fussing at me and I did ask my Dad about this and he said he doesn't remember fussing about me and the gas (it was the tires he fussed about).

Natural instinct. If he's old enough to drive he's old enough to look up the actual definition of "Instinct". Tell him, "nice try." Oh, and also tell him, to try that line on the Trooper who pulls him over and see how that goes over.Laughing

When my son decided to be a hot shot I decided to make things easy on myself. I transfered the title to him and took him to the bank to get his own loan. Sent him to the insurance guy to get it covered. Its his headache now.

If he is too young for that... just make him buy his own gas and pay for any premium increases. Or... buy a minivan. Its hard to look cool in a minivan.
(01-23-2013, 07:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Or... buy a minivan. Its hard to look cool in a minivan.

Bingo!
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Best Answer Award to GoCometsGo!!!
(01-23-2013, 07:34 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 06:56 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

When my son decided to be a hot shot I decided to make things easy on myself. I transfered the title to him and took him to the bank to get his own loan. Sent him to the insurance guy to get it covered. Its his headache now.

If he is too young for that... just make him buy his own gas and pay for any premium increases. Or... buy a minivan. Its hard to look cool in a minivan.
he does pay for increase in the insurance, and he is helping for the gas, We (he and I ) "share" the truck any time we are in in together he drives and he takes it to work I mean the driving habits haven't changed any other than I get I less miles between fill ups and yes he is paying for the gas also but it doesn't seem to bother him. It is just something that bothered me when he said it

There is a song about looking cool in a mini van. LaughingLaughing
He might not know where the odometer cable is, But how many friends does he have that might?

You really are getting old.

Does it have a locking gas cap?
Can he add gas?

Rich and Allen used to sneak out at 2 AM, Take Rich's dad's VW. They would pull the cable and pick up a few more of us and out to Gravity Hill. Rich's dad became suspicious because the missing gas. He thought Skip Harold down the street was stealing gas. So next weekend, they put gas in the car to cover their tracks. Except they put in more then they used and His dad figured out what was happening. The third week he was up waiting for them when they got back.

.........Busted........