question for the males or any else for that matter
Quote:Its hard to look cool in a minivan.

That ain't necessarily so.

[Image: download.php?id=5979&sid=3252aed88980851...38509bd272]
[Image: 1947_Desoto_Custom_Suburban.jpg]
[Image: custom-green-microvan.jpg]
[Image: vanning_1.jpg]
Good try, Len, but they still look dorky except for the vintage car.
Yes it is indeed a natural instinct. See Wonkies post. Males are natural born risk takers and teenagers?? look out! One of my son's totaled two cars as a teen. Once from losing control doing donuts and the second time from speeding on a winding road.
I have little doubt the other kid didn't speed and push the limits also.
I totaled my first car a 16 years oldLaughing. I did however replace the hood, both fenders, the grill ,bumper and radiator and then spray painted the whole car flat black with rattle cans and sold it for what I paid.Big Grin

Look at the bright side, at least he has air bags and seatbelts.
(01-23-2013, 06:34 PM)blondemom Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 05:55 PM)Wonky Wrote: Fugetaboutit!

He's a guy. Of course he will "see what it'll do" when you are not there. He will also drive as far as possible UP creeks, in the deepest mud he can find, and drive a least a mile past the end of rural roads. He will pull stumps and push really big rocks.

He will cram at least 7 other people in the cab with him and one will have a "ghetto blaster" that will make more noise than a jet. There will be candy wrappers so deep you will never find the floor mats. (We are trusting here, there will be no beer cans). When the weather warms he will want to paint the truck. Not a color, you understand: Paint it. Words and symbols unknown to you. Soon, he will be asking for some "really trick" wheels and really big 'ol mud and snow tires.

You will come home one evening and the carburetor from the truck will be in pieces all over the kitchen table. What's wrong with it? Nothing. He just wanted to see how it's put together. (You will be without a truck until you talk someone into buying a new carb and installing it at the house).

But, alas, this will pass. He will get bored with trucks. Motorcycles will be next. then sports cars. (maybe reversed). Now he will be coming home with "chicks" who have nose rings and more tattoos than a sailor.

You have given birth to the male of the species. God help you!

<Snip>

And I am starting to hit my midlife crisis and I am wanting a motorcycle (a touring bike), and if I get it there is no way the boy child is be getting to use is it.

<Snip>

NOW you're talking! Go for it. (And more and more women are touring now)

Consider looking at the Kawasaki KLR 650. Affordable, great gas mileage, and lots and lots of other great things about them. I "audit" a touring forum and the KLR 650 has been getting great reviews for a long time now.

I've never ridden a "dual purpose" bike, but when touring Eastern Oregon last year I'd have killed for one. I ride a street bike and was restricted to pavement. The really good scenic rides are on gravel roads (good ones). You can pack a KLR 650 with enough stuff for a 5 day ride unless you are camping. (I do motel camping).
Whatever you chose, good luck, get to know the bike really well before lighting out on a trip, and PLEASE wear good protective gear.
I envy you so! My days on a bike are ending sooner that later. I have some back "issues" and don't want to lay it down and do damage that might make it impossible for me to walk again.

You go girl!
First car I owned was a '59 Simca, Aronde. Brought it from a clown. Wild color scheme. Little engine. Didn't go fast. You could not look cool in it either. The fronts seats folded all the way back and it made into a bed. SOLD. The French!
Life is full of compromises.