What's wrong with this bomb?
OK, I'm reading about the terrorism trial going on in Portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index...cart_river , where the FBI, posing as terrorists, prepared a fake bomb for their young wanna be terrorist to "detonate".

According to the news story and trial, "...FBI bomb technician ... John Hallock ... had created the fake fertilizer bomb that undercover FBI agents, posing as terrorists, ... presented to Mohamud. The 1,800-pound device, loaded into a van and constructed of six 55-gallon barrels linked by detonation cord, had a blasting cap and a cell-phone detonation system with a toggle switch that looked authentic.

The bomb tech testified that he had designed the phony explosive so it was big enough -- were it real -- to destroy Pioneer Courthouse Square. The device was in fact filled with grass seed and other inert materials that -- along with diesel fuel -- were harmless.

"I built the device for maximum effect," Hallock said..."

OK, just to fact shoot this scenario, I googled some of their information. Not withstanding the fact the agents substituted grass seed for ammonium nitrate, but fertilizer bombs (ammonium nitrate with 2 or 3 quarts diesel added per 50 pounds worth) are said to take more than detonation cord to detonate.

What would "real" terrorists have done that would have been different, if they had really wanted to make a functioning bomb out of this? Budding pyromaniacs encouraged to answer. I realize Homeland Security will probably be at my door soon for wanting to know this but, I already did the google search anyway. Smiling
(01-23-2013, 08:40 PM)PonderThis Wrote: What would "real" terrorists have done that would have been different, if they had really wanted to make a functioning bomb out of this? Budding pyromaniacs encouraged to answer. I realize Homeland Security will probably be at my door soon for wanting to know this but, I already did the google search anyway. Smiling

I don't think real terrorist go to the FBI for help. Razz
I didn't want to use my real identity. (Father land security is always watching)

I would have taken the grass seed and flushed it down the sewer. That much grass seed mixed with water would have stopped up the toilets and would have made a real stink of things.