When I Liked Television a Lot More
[Image: 22210_300696530033514_151474135_n.jpg]
[Image: bonanza.jpg]
[Image: twilight+zone.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgMs_F8VKw1mHKkXwA6hG...-KdmgcZ3aJ]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmrOspgdiAq7tSgsuUdEx...5dMeFMDEGw][Image: 195977021255462928_sRFGn9NM_b.jpg]
[Image: rockford-files-s2-4.jpg]
(01-25-2013, 07:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmrOspgdiAq7tSgsuUdEx...5dMeFMDEGw][Image: 195977021255462928_sRFGn9NM_b.jpg]

I remember when, as a child, I realized what a joke was. Red Skelton hugged a buxom blonde and commented: "Oh! I crushed them both!........and them were good cigars too."

That's the first joke I ever heard and understood...he was the master.
[Image: st_elsewhere-show.jpg]
This was about the last of my television watching era:

[Image: tumblr_lozsjyoyLS1qzb1rlo1_400.jpg]
[Image: HGWT19.jpg]
[Image: kfdvdpilot.jpg]
We have a few dvd sets; Get Smart, season 1, SCTV, season 2, and The Richard Pryor Show!
All three outstanding shows, IMO.

And yes, I remember Alice. I remember watching, Alice Doesn't live Here Anymore, the movie on which the tv show is based, starring Ellen Burstyn.

How's that for long-term trivial memory? Smiling
I don't like much of what's on TV now, but there are a few superior ones I like and appreciate the day and age that allows me to watch them. I appreciate the old Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Star Trek that pushed boundaries.
(01-25-2013, 07:35 PM)PonderThis Wrote: This was about the last of my television watching era:

I don't remember what this was.
The actress looks familiar/young.
Time for Beany

We had one our the first TV in 1948 and this came of in 1949-1955. The greatness of this show was, as Groucho Marx said, ''the only kids show adult enough for his daughter''.

''Originally created as a children's show, the genius of the creators and writers soon became evident and the show began attracting more adults than children. When it was Time For Beany, the entire family was crowded around the 6" (or so) television screen. The crux of Beany's success was the intermingling of current political issues and fiascos that appeared as thinly veiled plots easily recognizable as lampoons of current political issues or personalities. The Shakespearian asides given by Beany, Cecil and the rest of the cast were magnificent and often alluded to embarrassing public fiascos or personages, on which the adult audience immediately picked up.''
(01-25-2013, 08:05 PM)Clone Wrote:
(01-25-2013, 07:35 PM)PonderThis Wrote: This was about the last of my television watching era:

I don't remember what this was.
The actress looks familiar/young.

It may have been the most horrible, boring show of all time. No wonder you gave up TV after watching this! Laughing

Mary Hartman only ran a couple of years but it seemed like forever.
You're right, Louise Lasser. A cult classic, it later inspired Fernwood Tonight and another one or two others.
I never watched that for some reason.
(01-25-2013, 08:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You're right, Louise Lasser. A cult classic, it later inspired Fernwood Tonight and another one or two others.

Yep. And Fernwood Tonight was very clever, well written, the characters well developed and maybe 20 years ahead of it's time.
It may have been replaced by My Mother, The Car or Car 54 Where are You. You know, fodder for the masses.

Of course! It's only my opinion. Not arguing the merits of TV of the past, only my own experience. And by the way, Peter Gun was another very well done show that was to "hip" (or something) for the masses.