Television Shows!
(10-20-2018, 09:17 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't been able to watch and finish any series lately, though I do keep watching BCS.  But I did watch and finish 11-22-63 on HULU. I watched the last one today.  Anyway, as James Franco's character rushes up the school depository steps to stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK, I noticed the graffiti on the wall said REDRUM.  Oh, cute, I think, little Stephen King Easter Egg there. (since the story is a Stephen King book adaptation) My daughter wandered through and I pointed it out. Somehow we got into a conversation about it and she said most young people (to her meaning young twenty year olds) would not know what that referred to.  I was astounded.  Of course people know! I said.  It's iconic!  She said no and would poll her young co workers today at work to see if they recognized it.  She just texted me saying that so far, 30% did, meaning 70% had no clue.  Interesting.  I thought everyone knew that little pop culture phrase and it's meaning/origin.

Well Isn't REDRUM form the shining? a 1980 movie? That's 38 years ago I can't believe you doubted your daughter.
Kids don't care about OLD ass movies like that.

I would have agreed with your daughter because I have grand kids 17 and 21 and I'm always having to explain what things mean. Like......

We're gonna need a bigger boat

A mans gotta know his limitations.

I'm shakin it boss, I'm shakin it

What we have here is a failure to communicate

Here's Johnny

Frankly Scarlot, I don't give a damn.

I'm walking here! I'm walking here

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges
(10-21-2018, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 09:17 PM)Juniper Wrote: I haven't been able to watch and finish any series lately, though I do keep watching BCS.  But I did watch and finish 11-22-63 on HULU. I watched the last one today.  Anyway, as James Franco's character rushes up the school depository steps to stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK, I noticed the graffiti on the wall said REDRUM.  Oh, cute, I think, little Stephen King Easter Egg there. (since the story is a Stephen King book adaptation) My daughter wandered through and I pointed it out. Somehow we got into a conversation about it and she said most young people (to her meaning young twenty year olds) would not know what that referred to.  I was astounded.  Of course people know! I said.  It's iconic!  She said no and would poll her young co workers today at work to see if they recognized it.  She just texted me saying that so far, 30% did, meaning 70% had no clue.  Interesting.  I thought everyone knew that little pop culture phrase and it's meaning/origin.

Well Isn't REDRUM form the shining? a 1980 movie? That's 38 years ago I can't believe you doubted your daughter.

I would have agreed with your daughter because I have grand kids 17 and 21 and I'm always having to explain what things mean. Like......

Here's Johnny

I know, I know.  Still! 

I guess people hear the Jaws theme, Dah dum, Dah dum, Dah dum, dum, dum dum and just think sharks and don't know why, and and the "Reeeee reeeeee reeeeee!" with the stabbing motion from Psycho and just think that's the correct sound effect and don't know why or what it's connected to.  Her final tally was that 3 out of 17 kind of knew (with help and hints) what Redrum was.
(10-21-2018, 01:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Here's Johnny

I know, I know.  Still! 

I guess people here the Jaws theme, Dah dum, Dah dum, Dah dum, dum, dum dum and just think sharks and don't know why, and and the "Reeeee reeeeee reeeeee!" with the stabbing motion from Psycho and just think that's the correct sound effect and don't know why or what it's connected to.  Her final tally was that 3 out of 17 kind of knew (with help and hints) what Redrum was.
  Yeah I have asked my Grandson and his girl friend about this same thing.
A lot of times they knew the phrases , they had heard them before but had no clue or didn't care where they came from.

My Grand daughter didn't know who John Wayne was  a few years ago when she was about 20 or so.

I was amazed. I was sitting at my computer so I googled the name . It was 545 million hits. So I said... just name someone who will have more hits.. She said "Elvis Presley"  I thought she had me there but in fact Elvis only had 122 million hits. Surprised
By the say, I've never seen Halloween or Nightmare on Elm street or Friday the 13, but I still know who Mike Meyers and Jason and Freddy are. (OK probably don't know which goes to which film) So cultural relevance is not always the reason for not knowing something. I know that We don't need no stinkin' badges is from Treasure of Sierra Madre but only saw it once in passing; I knew the line "Here's looking at you kid" was Humphrey Bogart and from Casa Blanca long before I saw it; and "Say hello to my little friend" and other great lines. Some I don't, but I was aware. I think most people get Silence of lambs references like 'It rubs the lotion on it's skin' or "I ate his liver with some fava beans and nice chianti" or The Sixth Sense (that's not as old) "I see dead people" but maybe I'm WAY off there.
BTW, TV, what do you think young people would think "Heeeerre'sss Johnny!" would be?
This isn't a film/movie thread, but who cares....so along the topic here, I notice A Clockwork Orange has become a cult classic but most people don't know anything about it thematically. They just think the crazy, messed up character and plot are cool.
Did you ever have an inside joke with your family from a Movie line?

Poltergeist,,,,, when they went next door to the redneck neighbor and his kid they were being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
They mentioned the mosquitoes to the neighbor and the guys said to his son...."Do skeeters bite you son"? and this kid said.. "I don't know dad."

To this day I can ask either of my sons .. Do skeeters bite you son, and they will reply.. I don't know dad Laughing Laughing
(10-21-2018, 01:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: Did you ever have an inside joke with your family from a Movie line?

Poltergeist,,,,, when they went next door to the redneck neighbor and his kid they were being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
They mentioned the mosquitoes to the neighbor and the guys said to his son...."Do skeeters bite you son"? and this kid said.. "I don't know dad."

To this day I can ask either of my sons .. Do skeeters bite you son, and they will reply.. I don't know dad Laughing Laughing

Yes.

Listen!  Do you smell something?

And "Real biblical stuff!  Human sacrifice!.....Dogs and Cats! Living together!"

and lots more...

It's only a flesh wound and many more.
Anyway, on the Redrum bit, she asked 17 people. 3 who were over 25 knew it. (two with hints). One 18 year old did and said "Yeah! I'm not stupid!" Another, a customer who was an English teacher, pointed out that today's kids know things based on what's on Netflix or other streaming media currently. My own kids saw The Shining no doubt on television long before the internet, so it's a good point. Back then it was a more captive audience with what kids saw. Now there are so many choices.