How moderation here happens
All,

There's been a fair amount of confusion lately with how moderation here happens, so I figure I owe you all an explanation. There are two ways that posts are removed from the site - Automated Moderation and Manual Moderation.

Automated Moderation occurs when there is a disproportionately large number of individual reports to number of views on a post or thread. When this ratio is reached, the post (or thread) is removed for moderator review. If the reports were unwarranted, the thread is returned to the site.

Manual moderation occurs when a site moderator is made aware of a problematic post or thread, either by reviewing reports or reviewing threads manually. Threads may be temporarily locked while problematic posts (and their replies) are reviewed and removed.

Moderators generally do not edit post contents (as this is HUGELY time consuming, especially editing quoted content). For this reason, we recommend people do NOT reply to posts that break the site rules, even if replying with on-topic and relevant information.

What happens when a post is removed for violating the site rules (or reviewed and found to be in violation)? For the first part of this month (since rule enforcement has been in effect), they were simply removed. Beginning on 1/20, warning messages have been going out to notify people why their posts were removed. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, these may not go out until a few days after the posts are removed. Hopefully the turnaround on these will get better in the future.

Any questions? Comments? Suggestions on improvements?

Please let me know. Smiling
(01-27-2013, 08:09 PM)kgasso Wrote: All,

There's been a fair amount of confusion lately with how moderation here happens, so I figure I owe you all an explanation. There are two ways that posts are removed from the site - Automated Moderation and Manual Moderation.

Automated Moderation occurs when there is a disproportionately large number of individual reports to number of views on a post or thread. When this ratio is reached, the post (or thread) is removed for moderator review. If the reports were unwarranted, the thread is returned to the site.

Manual moderation occurs when a site moderator is made aware of a problematic post or thread, either by reviewing reports or reviewing threads manually. Threads may be temporarily locked while problematic posts (and their replies) are reviewed and removed.

Moderators generally do not edit post contents (as this is HUGELY time consuming, especially editing quoted content). For this reason, we recommend people do NOT reply to posts that break the site rules, even if replying with on-topic and relevant information.

What happens when a post is removed for violating the site rules (or reviewed and found to be in violation)? For the first part of this month (since rule enforcement has been in effect), they were simply removed. Beginning on 1/20, warning messages have been going out to notify people why their posts were removed. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, these may not go out until a few days after the posts are removed. Hopefully the turnaround on these will get better in the future.

I realize that it is horribly time consuming in the short run, but editing or replying to posts that break the rules and letting everyone know why they are not appropriate will be of greater benefit in the long run than just telling the offenders what they did wrong.

I speak from my experience in another forum which now no longer even needs moderators, because everyone actually acts like responsible adults.

Yes, it will open up a lot of conversations about why something should be allowed and something else shouldn't, but there are four things that will make that irrelevant.

1) Be consistant in your standards.

2) Warn people, preferably in direct response to an offending post, so that everyone can see.

3) Don't be soft on repeat offenders.

4) You own this place. Not anyone else. You get to say what goes.

Follow those consistently and people who are actually interested in talking to each other will join and/or stick around while those mainly interested in being jerks will soon be kicked out.
(01-27-2013, 08:21 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I realize that it is horribly time consuming in the short run, but editing or replying to posts that break the rules and letting everyone know why they are not appropriate will be of greater benefit in the long run than just telling the offenders what they did wrong.

I speak from my experience in another forum which now no longer even needs moderators, because everyone actually acts like responsible adults.

Yes, it will open up a lot of conversations about why something should be allowed and something else shouldn't, but there are four things that will make that irrelevant.

2) Warn people, preferably in direct response to an offending post, so that everyone can see.

Follow those consistently and people who are actually interested in talking to each other will join and/or stick around while those mainly interested in being jerks will soon be kicked out.

Heh
Thank you!Smiling

Why are you here then?
(01-27-2013, 08:27 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Why are you here then?

Because I want to belong to an active local forum. And because I actually expect rules to be obeyed or people to be kicked out because they can't follow the rules.

=====snip======

Thanks, Kam. Smiling

I agree but also offer up; after a short while, why not get rid of the offending posters instead of just their posts. It seems that some are chronic in their anti-social behaviour and little in the way of reminders to be civil will ever work.

And it is obvious that some people are deliberately giving the owner of this site the finger and shitting on his picture on almost every post with their endless baiting.

But I do have one question though, you deleted all of posts from the people that were supporting you and your positions for this site but left the ''fuck you'' from the usual offender in place on ''My PM to Kam''.

And I don't think ''fuck'' used in a sentence is a removing offence, in fact I use it all the time but I do think telling someone to ''fuck you, fuck off or go fuck yourself'' is, freedom of speech or not is completely unacceptable in a social environment and only furthers discourse.
I can't believe all of the flippin' whiners! Rolling Eyes
Show a little friggin' respect to the owner of the site and follow his rules.
He has spelled it out quite clear. What is the big deal?
The way I see it... every time you whiners or rebels purposefully go against the rules... you are telling Kam to "F Off".
Good gawd... grow up! Dry
IKR? And it's coming from both "sides"....lol!
(01-27-2013, 11:37 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I can't believe all of the flippin' whiners! Rolling Eyes
The way I see it... every time you whiners or rebels purposefully go against the rules... you are telling Kam to "F Off".

Excuse me? Who exactly are "all of the ...whiners"? I see one. So, I'm going to conclude by your comment that you are categorizing the group.
(01-28-2013, 07:54 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-27-2013, 11:37 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I can't believe all of the flippin' whiners! Rolling Eyes

Excuse me? Who exactly are "all of the ...whiners"? I see one. So, I'm going to conclude by your comment that you are categorizing the group.

Excuse me? Yes, I am "categorizing the group"... the group of WHINERS! I have seen (what I consider to be) 5 "whiners" since the New Year's Eve post by kgasso. I have also seen 4 that have thumbed their noses and flipped the bird at kgasso by refusing to follow the rules over and over in the last 28 days.

And... they're still here... still making a mockery of kgasso. Dry
(01-28-2013, 09:35 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Excuse me? Yes, I am "categorizing the group"... the group of WHINERS! I have seen (what I consider to be) 5 "whiners" since the New Year's Eve post by kgasso. I have also seen 4 that have thumbed their noses and flipped the bird at kgasso by refusing to follow the rules over and over in the last 28 days.

Quit whining
Time to bring back the dome? Laughing

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSWdHvE290PKAHDjXwEtp...NNp8ZJCnu8]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSDzfhSgpzSS8CWH31oYd...qF_idhcZ4w]
(01-28-2013, 10:01 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Time to bring back the dome? Laughing

I see no humor in that. No, it its time to follow the rules.
(01-28-2013, 10:38 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-28-2013, 10:01 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Time to bring back the dome? Laughing

I see no humor in that. No, it its time to follow the rules.

I found it humorous and a great idea. Kam tried sumptin new and it was fun.

Here you are calling people names, "whiners" and telling them to grow up and saying fuck off with out spelling the whole word.

All the time supposedly to support the rules that you just violated.

Forum Rules and Etiquette
These rules apply to all forum categories. Individual sections may have their own rules which will be highlighted in red when creating or replying to a post in that section.

Do not publish:

Hate speech and slurs. *
Anything that creates a poor fellowship, including rude remarks, ad hominem If it doesn't harbor discussion or you're posting it just to get on someone's nerves, it doesn't belong.

Define Jerk. My definition is someone who comes to this forum and from day one wants to bitch and moan about what people say who have been here for years.

My definition is someone who says it's his "DUTY" to go around reporting any post he believes violates the rules.

My definition is someone who thinks they are an expert on everything under the sun even to the extent of SCHOOLING the owner of the damn forum on how things should be.

In this thread. Whiners in this thread.