How moderation here happens
I say put up or shut up.
I have followed the rules as requested.
I've only asked that either we all do... or we all don't. Period. Doesn't seem like a big request.
If I get booted because I want everyone to be treated the same and everyone to follow the same set of rules... You all better watch yourselve
(04-06-2013, 03:16 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Hey, either we all play by the Bosses rules or none of us do. This BS tale of Moderation is just that... a big steamy stinky pile of BS!

I say put up or shut up.
I've only asked that either we all do... or we all don't. Period. Doesn't seem like a big request.
If I get booted because I want everyone to be treated the same and everyone to follow the same set of rules... You all better watch yourselve

Wow...we better hope she doesn't get reprimanded for calling kgasso's running of HIS forum a stinky pile of shit...I do believe she has just threatened us. I'm so skeered!

How's that for taking responsibility for your own actions?
(04-06-2013, 04:07 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I say put up or shut up.

For crying out loud. Is THAT why you've been behaving? So that you could be free to complain even louder about the others?

Please tell me that's not it.
(04-06-2013, 04:18 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

For crying out loud. Is THAT why you've been behaving? So that you could be free to complain even louder about the others?

[Image: hitnail.jpg]
Here's the thing... The forum owner tells us that with the new year will come new rules and everyone needs to follow them. And for a while, people are kinder to each other. Then, when it becomes clear that the new rules are not actually being enforced, some people go back to being jerks to anyone they disagree with. Then we're told that the forum owner is looking for people to help moderate the forum. Then there is absolutely no followup.

First and foremost, it's crappy that people refuse to follow the request of kgasso to treat each other nicely. He's kind enough to give us this forum, let us post here for free, and only asks that we be civil. And people are complaining because other people are simply asking them to behave in the manner that kgasso requested us to.

Second, it's crappy that we're in moderation limbo. We keep expecting someone to enforce the rules, because we were told they would be enforced. When we had all but given up, we're told once again that they'll be enforced, but there's still no sign of it. If we're not going to be moderated, and it's fine to have it be a free-for-all, at least change the rules to reflect that. Otherwise, if we're all expected to follow the rules, we shouldn't have to be subjected to the people who flat out refuse to follow them.
(04-06-2013, 04:18 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

From everything I saw, Scrapper liked the idea of a civil forum, and when it appeared as if rules would be enforced at the beginning of the year, she assumed that EVERYONE would be expected to follow the rules or get disciplined. Instead, only some of us have bothered to follow the rules, and nothing has happened to the other people who don't give a shit about the rules.

When you're the only one driving safely and following the speed limit and everyone else is zipping past you or swerving all over the road, you get kinda pissed that the cop isn't pulling anyone over. Especially after you were told that the cops were going to crack down on crazy drivers.
(04-06-2013, 04:52 PM)csrowan Wrote: Here's the thing... The forum owner tells us that with the new year will come new rules and everyone needs to follow them. And for a while, people are kinder to each other. Then, when it becomes clear that the new rules are not actually being enforced, some people go back to being jerks to anyone they disagree with. Then we're told that the forum owner is looking for people to help moderate the forum. Then there is absolutely no followup.

First and foremost, it's crappy that people refuse to follow the request of kgasso to treat each other nicely. He's kind enough to give us this forum, let us post here for free, and only asks that we be civil. And people are complaining because other people are simply asking them to behave in the manner that kgasso requested us to.

Second, it's crappy that we're in moderation limbo. We keep expecting someone to enforce the rules, because we were told they would be enforced. When we had all but given up, we're told once again that they'll be enforced, but there's still no sign of it. If we're not going to be moderated, and it's fine to have it be a free-for-all, at least change the rules to reflect that. Otherwise, if we're all expected to follow the rules, we shouldn't have to be subjected to the people who flat out refuse to follow them.
Moderation Limbo, really. I don't think so. You are being moderated right now by a moderator that is supporter of free speech in the extreme. What do you need to see to believe that you are really being moderated? Do you need to see some posts pulled or another temp ban on someone?
maybe sheriff gil is the new moderator. If he moderates the way he sheriffs, we're all a-ok as far as I'm concerned.
The moderator can feel free to delete my posts in this thread to prove they are around, if they like.
I don't need proof, but obviously others do.
Like I said earlier...I haven't seen anything lately that calls for someone to lower the hammer, things have actually been pretty civil.

Other than Scrapper threatening all of us if she gets in trouble.... Smiling Wink
Scrappers post (which surpasses ANY other, in terms of "whiny") is indicative of the current situation here at the RVF. We have a contingent of people who arrived here, after the established facts of the place, and immediately set about to establish their dominance, as if they owned the place.

You wanna call that the original "clique" vs the "newcomers", so be it. It is STILL a fact that it existed as it is, before they came.

Now, scrapper DEMANDS satisfaction from the owner.

If I were the owner, I would ask her to leave, since it is not to her standards.

You walked into your neighbors house, took a shit on the floor, and have the audicity to ask "what stinks in here"?
(04-06-2013, 06:02 PM)Larry Wrote: Scrappers post (which surpasses ANY other, in terms of "whiny") is indicative of the current situation here at the RVF. We have a contingent of people who arrived here, after the established facts of the place, and immediately set about to establish their dominance, as if they owned the place.

You wanna call that the original "clique" vs the "newcomers", so be it. It is STILL a fact that it existed as it is, before they came.

If I were the owner, I would ask her to leave, since it is not to her standards.

You walked into your neighbors house, took a shit on the floor, and have the audicity to ask "what stinks in here"?

You know who owns the place? The guy who put forth some rules and asked us to follow them. You know who's shitting on the floor? The people who flat out refuse to follow the rules. You know who's not? The people saying "Hey! Don't shit on the floor, man! Have some respect for this house."
(04-06-2013, 06:20 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 06:02 PM)Larry Wrote: Scrappers post (which surpasses ANY other, in terms of "whiny") is indicative of the current situation here at the RVF. We have a contingent of people who arrived here, after the established facts of the place, and immediately set about to establish their dominance, as if they owned the place.

You know who owns the place? The guy who put forth some rules and asked us to follow them. You know who's shitting on the floor? The people who flat out refuse to follow the rules. You know who's not? The people saying "Hey! Don't shit on the floor, man! Have some respect for this house."

I suspect that the reason that he put forth the updated rules was due to increasing pressure from the whiners.
(04-06-2013, 06:20 PM)csrowan Wrote:

LOL, the difference is, I accept the smell.
That's the thing about making rules for a forum, then you have to enforce them. And a lot of the time, people will not agree with you on how/when you enforce them.
As far as calling BS.. please remember this forum is probably run on all volunteer time. people have jobs and families and a life. Modding is a time-consuming, thankless job.

I mean really, who wants to babysit childish adults online for free?

Any of you step up for the job?
(04-06-2013, 07:01 PM)Crazylace Wrote: That's the thing about making rules for a forum, then you have to enforce them. And a lot of the time, people will not agree with you on how/when you enforce them.
As far as calling BS.. please remember this forum is probably run on all volunteer time. people have jobs and families and a life. Modding is a time-consuming, thankless job.

Nope. But if one isn't going to enforce the rules, why have them? I didn't come to this forum to demand moderating. I came here, read the rules and agreed to abide by them. But, when one is the target of consistent rule breaking, one hits a breaking point themselves.
(04-06-2013, 07:04 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 07:01 PM)Crazylace Wrote: That's the thing about making rules for a forum, then you have to enforce them. And a lot of the time, people will not agree with you on how/when you enforce them.

Nope. But if one isn't going to enforce the rules, why have them? I didn't come to this forum to demand moderating. I came here, read the rules and agreed to abide by them. But, when one is the target of consistent rule breaking, one hits a breaking point themselves.
I didn't come on here to demand moderating either. I do pretty good with the ignore feature, myself. Like I said, it's one thing to have rules, quite another can o' worms to have to enforce them. Lesson learned long ago in a forum far, far away.
(04-06-2013, 07:38 PM)Crazylace Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 07:04 PM)gapper Wrote:

I didn't come on here to demand moderating either. I do pretty good with the ignore feature, myself. Like I said, it's one thing to have rules, quite another can o' worms to have to enforce them. Lesson learned long ago in a forum far, far away.
I agree. Although, it can be done. I belong to another, much larger forum that pulls it off. It's not easy, I recognize that. But still, I really don't understand why people are asked to agree to certain rules, and then they aren't enforced. Forums are a microcosm of society, where by some abide by the rules as part of their human nature, and some break them, and have to face consequences. If there are no rules, or if rules are not enforced, then chaos prevails, just as it did in a now defunct forum from my past, and as it does here.
In a different long ago far far away forum, I learned that well enforced rules meant that there was little enforcing needed once people understood they actually had to obey the rules or get kicked out.
(04-06-2013, 07:47 PM)csrowan Wrote: In a different long ago far far away forum, I learned that well enforced rules meant that there was little enforcing needed once people understood they actually had to obey the rules or get kicked out.

That is the case in the larger forum I referred to.
I believe it has around 10.,000 members and if after a couple of warnings a participant refuses to abide by the rules, they are banned.
And, interestingly enough, there are new members joining almost daily.
A society, any society, without generally understood rules of conduct is doomed.

Those "rules" are, of course, in constant transition but civil society recognizes the changes and accepts them across the greater population as the "rules" drift from one code of conduct to another.

The fact that a moderator may be necessary here is clear evidence that some do not understand the norms of civil society.

However we do have choices. We can delete our account and leave. We can ignore those who we feel are offensive. Or, we can "report" and depend on others to enforce the civility we can't seem to follow.

What this place will not survive, IMHO, is continuing unacceptable interaction becoming so rampant on these pages.