The Art of Being an Asshole
1. Never argue the substance of a disagreement, instead attack the person with whom you disagree.

2. Always assume what other people think and believe rather than asking them directly.

3. Say things to people that you would never have the gall to say to their faces as you might get clobbered.

4. Don’t read a post instead, read “into it,” jump to conclusions, then go off and be that asshole you always wanted to be.

5. Always presume to know what another person is thinking and assume you know the motives behind their words and actions.

6. Engage in “drive-by” character assassination it's so much fun.

7. If someone gives you a response, ignore their response and repeat your points over again

8. With malice, forethought and deliberation, completely misrepresent what another person has said or written, then play the victim.

9. If all else fails, just tell them to fuck off, go fuck yourself or fuck you.

10. For hands on experience join RVF where there are several able bodied assholes are just waiting to guide you in the ways of true assholiness with example after example.
(01-28-2013, 08:21 AM)Leonard Wrote: 1. Never argue the substance of a disagreement, instead attack the person with whom you disagree.

2. Always assume what other people think and believe rather than asking them directly.

3. Say things to people that you would never have the gall to say to their faces as you might get clobbered.

4. Don’t read a post instead, read “into it,” jump to conclusions, then go off and be that asshole you always wanted to be.

5. Always presume to know what another person is thinking and assume you know the motives behind their words and actions.

7. If someone gives you a response, ignore their response and repeat your points over again

8. With malice, forethought and deliberation, completely misrepresent what another person has said or written, then play the victim.

10. For hands on experience join RVF where there are several able bodied assholes are just waiting to guide you in the ways of true assholiness with example after example.
That's pretty darned accurate as far as this place goes.
(01-28-2013, 08:21 AM)Leonard Wrote: 1. Never argue the substance of a disagreement, instead attack the person with whom you disagree.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankviola/jerk/
(01-28-2013, 09:07 AM)Snail Wrote: That's pretty darned accurate as far as this place goes.

Sadly true.

Len, the simple fact that you have posted a thread with this title might indicate that you have a conflict. So I wonder: Would only an "asshole" post with this title?
We are adults and if necessary for emphasis we often use language that is coarse.
You come right out of the gate with a topic of questionable taste, include in the body of the post more unnecessary vulgarity, and your list of examples only compounds the very point you are trying to make.

While I understand your freedom to do this, I don't understand your desire to expose yourself for what this topic seems to say about you.

Freedom is such a wonderful right. Responsibility is such a heavy burden. I know you to be capable of reasoned and thoughtful prose. Why you chose to use this tone is difficult for me to understand.
I see just about everyone here, somewhere on that list, at one time or another.
& in most other forums that I have looked at.
(01-28-2013, 09:59 AM)Wonky Wrote:

Len, the simple fact that you have posted a thread with this title might indicate that you have a conflict. So I wonder: Would only an "asshole" post with this title?
We are adults and if necessary for emphasis we often use language that is coarse.
You come right out of the gate with a topic of questionable taste, include in the body of the post more unnecessary vulgarity, and your list of examples only compounds the very point you are trying to make.

While I understand your freedom to do this, I don't understand your desire to expose yourself for what this topic seems to say about you.

Freedom is such a wonderful right. Responsibility is such a heavy burden. I know you to be capable of reasoned and thoughtful prose. Why you chose to use this tone is difficult for me to understand.

I bet in lens eyes you just made the list. How dare you question him, or even have the nerve to submit such vile rhetoric against his topic. Simply agree and move along wonky.
(01-28-2013, 10:12 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

I bet in lens eyes you just made the list. How dare you question him, or even have the nerve to submit such vile rhetoric against his topic. Simply agree and move along wonky.

Your sarcasm is loud and clear, but we should remember not to be the first to throw stones.

My point to Len was that while addressing a valid point, he may have used the least effective way of expressing it.

Your own frequent posts here, OL, would not be held up as a standard for reasonable and constructive social intercourse. You seem to be the very best example of a reactionary, intolerant voice, most of the time.

Len did not name you as one of the "assholes". Nor, would I. But I would agree with Len that you often author hate filled, simplistic, posts attacking anyone who does not share your views. Some might say that is an "asshole" trait. But not me.
(01-28-2013, 10:05 AM)tealeaf Wrote: I see just about everyone here, somewhere on that list, at one time or another.
& in most other forums that I have looked at.

Except for me as I am a better person than most. I tend to get trolled often though because people envy that.
(01-28-2013, 10:29 AM)Wonky Wrote:

Your sarcasm is loud and clear, but we should remember not to be the first to throw stones.

My point to Len was that while addressing a valid point, he may have used the least effective way of expressing it.

Your own frequent posts here, OL, would not be held up as a standard for reasonable and constructive social intercourse. You seem to be the very best example of a reactionary, intolerant voice, most of the time.

Len did not name you as one of the "assholes". Nor, would I. But I would agree with Len that you often author hate filled, simplistic, posts attacking anyone who does not share your views. Some might say that is an "asshole" trait. But not me.

Thanks wonk, just trying to keep up with you guys on the dissent. Just because some of us don't choose the passive aggressive route wouldn't make you any less of assholes, but of course I would never say that.
(01-28-2013, 10:29 AM)Wonky Wrote:

It was directed at the assholes, the people who use this forum to give the owners the finger at every opportunity and make intelligent discussions difficult and so I used the usual language of the asshole to emphasise the point.

Of course I could have been less vitriolic but as my dear old Granny used to say, ''lay the truth out in language they use and can understand without them having to go to the dictionary''.

And just as a film critic does not have to be a film maker, one does not have to be an asshole to point out the assholiness in others.
(01-28-2013, 10:50 AM)Leonard Wrote: And just as a film critic does not have to be a film maker, one does not have to be an asshole to point out the assholiness in others.

You don't have to be but you sure as hell are.

IMO the biggest assholes are those who don't really use the forum to converse or to debate but instead come here daily to spread their bitter hate filled anti American Agenda.
I have a right to sickened that people who have benefited their entire lives from a great country like ours who spend their last days using a forum for a soap box to denigrate this country.
I won't be living off of some small disability and crying about it. Because I worked hard enough to have a comfortable retirement.

When someone continually makes blanket stereotypical statements about America and the people who live here how in the hell do you debate that???

If I felt like Leonard and spent my time here pushing my lets all hate America agenda. I would be man enough to take ANYTHING ANYONE wanted to throw at me.
I don't need a list, it just comes natural to me.
(01-28-2013, 01:44 PM)chuck white Wrote: I don't need a list, it just comes natural to me.
LaughingLaughing
Well.
I wonder what we learned here?

We are all asshole's, but not all assholes are alike?

As for me, I'm fully aware that my DNA includes the "Jerk Gene", that I am often abrupt and sarcastic and that I fail in more ways than I succeed. I'd like to find "my better self", to learn and be a better citizen even at my somewhat advanced age.

And so it goes.
(01-28-2013, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: You don't have to be but you sure as hell are.

IMO the biggest assholes are those who don't really use the forum to converse or to debate but instead come here daily to spread their bitter hate filled anti American Agenda.
I have a right to sickened that people who have benefited their entire lives from a great country like ours who spend their last days using a forum for a soap box to denigrate this country.
I won't be living off of some small disability and crying about it. Because I worked hard enough to have a comfortable retirement.

When someone continually makes blanket stereotypical statements about America and the people who live here how in the hell do you debate that???

If I felt like Leonard and spent my time here pushing my lets all hate America agenda. I would be man enough to take ANYTHING ANYONE wanted to throw at me.

Congratulations, I think you about covered all the bases, with the exception of number 9.
(01-28-2013, 03:32 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(01-28-2013, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: You don't have to be but you sure as hell are.

Congratulations, I think you about covered all the bases, with the exception of number 9.

Good for me, the time you took to respond was that much less time you had to spend taking a dump on this country and it's people.