1959 Chevy Vs. 2009 Chevy
Amazing, I would have never believed it without seeing it. Read below, then watch the video especially the overhead view of the accident. A 2009 car vs. a 1959 car in a crash test. Guess which one wins. NO SOUND, but the video is enough.
How many times have you heard: "I wish they would make cars the way they did in the old days." You know how we always think about what big huge tanks the old cars of the 50's and 60's were for size? And how we talk about how there is so much plastic on the new cars that if one of the old tanks ever collided with a new car, the new car would be demolished? Well, someone in the insurance industry put that theory to the test. Be sure to watch to the end to see the overhead view - and the assessment of driver injury. Fasten your seat belts.

WOW!
How about a Smart Car driven straight into a cement wall at 70 mph? Surprised

My ex has dumped my 57 wagon. I doubt she knows the factory air and power steering, are worth more than most 57s. This gets hard to think about.
(02-01-2013, 05:46 PM)illcommandante Wrote: My ex has dumped my 57 wagon. I doubt she knows the factory air and power steering, are worth more than most 57s. This gets hard to think about.
it was never your 57
(02-01-2013, 06:47 PM)joman Wrote:
(02-01-2013, 05:46 PM)illcommandante Wrote: My ex has dumped my 57 wagon. I doubt she knows the factory air and power steering, are worth more than most 57s. This gets hard to think about.
it was never your 57

I started this thread to show some fairly amazing footage that dispels some of our myths and beliefs about our treasured older cars.

Thanks for nothing...
A fiftyseven Chevy wagon, is a very nice ride. Those curved rear windows make it a fishbowl. You can upgrade from the mechanical brakes, but there's no real good reason. If you could knock the weight out, and get the mileage down to reasonable, they'd be a very desirable ride. They are a joy to drive.
(02-01-2013, 03:05 PM)Clone Wrote: Amazing, I would have never believed it without seeing it. Read below, then watch the video especially the overhead view of the accident. A 2009 car vs. a 1959 car in a crash test. Guess which one wins. NO SOUND, but the video is enough.
How many times have you heard: "I wish they would make cars the way they did in the old days." You know how we always think about what big huge tanks the old cars of the 50's and 60's were for size? And how we talk about how there is so much plastic on the new cars that if one of the old tanks ever collided with a new car, the new car would be demolished? Well, someone in the insurance industry put that theory to the test. Be sure to watch to the end to see the overhead view - and the assessment of driver injury. Fasten your seat belts.

I hate to sound like a know it all but I already knew thisLaughing Cars have been being manufactured to absorb the energy and protect the driver for quite a long time.Compared with today the old cars were death traps

I believe we have had the typical big and heavy is better debates on here before. And I remember pointing out that at one time a freaking Mini Cooper was safer than a Ford F-150.