Dam Removal
(02-06-2013, 05:55 PM)gapper Wrote: The dams will come out. Deal with it. One way might be to try some (ggggaaassssspppppppppp..........) conservation.
Turn off some lights, (I'm talking big time lights, look at any city after dark and tell me we aren't wasting power). Heck, some of you waste enough on your computers with your endless forum pissing matches to light a lamp or two.

What are they going to do with all the water?
It's going to become fish habitat.
(02-06-2013, 05:55 PM)gapper Wrote: The dams will come out. Deal with it. One way might be to try some (ggggaaassssspppppppppp..........) conservation.
Turn off some lights, (I'm talking big time lights, look at any city after dark and tell me we aren't wasting power). Heck, some of you waste enough on your computers with your endless forum pissing matches to light a lamp or two.

Unfortunately, conservation and increased efficiency ultimately leads to greater consumption. Counter-intuitive, I know, but true.
I think I'll want to see some links on that one. Smiling
(02-06-2013, 06:49 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I think I'll want to see some links on that one. Smiling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox

edit, this too:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/..._fact_owen
OK, if this is really true, it sounds like increased taxes at the same time efficiency takes place is required. No problem, that's already in my plan. Smiling
(02-06-2013, 07:02 PM)PonderThis Wrote: OK, if this is really true, it sounds like increased taxes at the same time efficiency takes place is required. No problem, that's already in my plan. Smiling

Taxing energy is very regressive. Much like a sales tax, you will hit hardest those with the least ability to pay. Yes, you may curb usage somewhat that way, but the savings will come at the expense of cold people, eating cold food, walking to work.

Thomas Friedman proposed something similar in the wake of 911 in the way of a national price for gas of $5/gal with a floating tax in place to always keep it at that level. The idea has just as many political legs today as it did then, which is to say none.

As noble as conservation and thrift are as values (and I commend both) they are not sufficient to cover the enormous energy chasm we must bridge. In fact, they tempt us to just make a grave problem worse.