No more Saturday mail
Packages only: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/postal-s...-1B8262819

Excerpt: "It's been debated ad nauseum for months and months, but on Wednesday the United States Postal Service finally will announce it is not going to deliver mail on Saturdays anymore.

The postal service's announcement, planned for about 10 a.m. EST, is expected to say that packages will continue to be delivered on Saturday, but not cards, letters, bills, etc.

The move is meant to save the financially struggling agency about $2 billion annually as it wrestles with the rising popularity of email and social media and with climbing health benefit costs.

In January, the USPS' board of governors directed management to accelerate the restructuring of postal service operations in the face of declining revenues. It said that the USPS could no longer afford to wait for legislation.

The agency reported an annual loss of a record $15.9 billion for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, triple the prior year's loss and capping a year in which it was forced to default on payments to a health benefit trust fund managed by the Treasury Department. The rising costs for future retiree health benefits accounted for $11.1 billion of the losses.

The USPS is an independent agency of the government. It does not get tax money to fund its day-to-day operations, but it is subject to congressional control, and congressional foot-dragging.

On Jan. 27, the USPS raised postage stamp prices by one cent to 46 cents to help raise revenues. “We are currently losing $25 million per day,” Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe warned in January."
But not until Aug, so it isn't going to starting right away. But this shouldn't come as a surprise the post office has been talking about this for a while now.
(02-06-2013, 06:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Packages only: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/postal-s...-1B8262819

<Snip>

Thanks for regurgitating news to which we too have access.

Want to make a comment, or are you trying to be a beat reporter?

I don't mean to single you out here: It's a common trait of our good members and I've always found it curious. It would seem that to post news that is widely spread is a strange activity. After all, if one is a member here, one has access.

On the other hand, to comment about that story might be interesting. So Ponder, can you live without Saturday mail delivery?
Good Gawd, Wonky. Ummmm... Hall Monitor mean anything to you?
(02-06-2013, 08:59 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Good Gawd, Wonky. Ummmm... Hall Monitor mean anything to you?

I luv ya darlin', you are no doubt a great grandma, a really good cook, and loving wife.. But here, you sound like a broken record offering a canned comment that is reactionary. I too, am entitled to an opinion and tried to do with without rancor or lots of vulgar language. I feel I had (have) a legitimate point. How about you respond to that. I mean I REALLY hope you don't depend of this forum for your news information. If so, God help us all!
(02-06-2013, 07:44 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 06:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Packages only: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/postal-s...-1B8262819

<Snip>

I don't mean to single you out here: It's a common trait of our good members and I've always found it curious. It would seem that to post news that is widely spread is a strange activity. After all, if one is a member here, one has access.

On the other hand, to comment about that story might be interesting. So Ponder, can you live without Saturday mail delivery?

Yeoch, Wonkers.

FYI, I've been on a news diet. It's easy to get stressed out so sometimes I unplug. Although I've been aware of this topic for a long time, so I knew it was coming, to be truthful, Ponder's post and link is my first news that it is official. So lighten up!
(02-06-2013, 09:09 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 08:59 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Good Gawd, Wonky. Ummmm... Hall Monitor mean anything to you?

I luv ya darlin', you are no doubt a great grandma, a really good cook, and loving wife.. But here, you sound like a broken record offering a canned comment that is reactionary. I too, am entitled to an opinion and tried to do with without rancor or lots of vulgar language. I feel I had (have) a legitimate point. How about you respond to that. I mean I REALLY hope you don't depend of this forum for your news information. If so, God help us all!

THIS part of the forum is called "National and World News"... NEWS!
The broken record is you telling others what they can and/or can't post... and even going so far as to tell us how.
(02-06-2013, 09:19 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

<Snip>

Yeoch, Wonkers.

FYI, I've been on a news diet. It's easy to get stressed out so sometimes I unplug. Although I've been aware of this topic for a long time, so I knew it was coming, to be truthful, Ponder's post and link is my first news that it is official. So lighten up!

Lighten up? (You might have said "you might want to consider to be less heavy with your tone). I mean, hall monitoring and all...

Sorry you're stressed. And unplugged. But, seems like you landed here to catch a news story. I wonder if this place is less stressful than the morning news.
The death of the PO has been partially engineered by some, Bikers going legit". They weren't happy with being able to land drugs on your porch, in uniforms. Now, they want it all. And, their best friends, are Pubs in our legislature. And, the drug trade is quick losing it's profitability, (Except perhaps, as a sumptuous feast, for the politicians who left our children languishing in rehab). They should have to fight snakes for the money. Blindfolded, and hogtied.
(02-06-2013, 09:25 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:09 AM)Wonky Wrote:

THIS part of the forum is called "National and World News"... NEWS!
The broken record is you telling others what they can and/or can't post... and even going so far as to tell us how.

Be well, have a great day, and I wish you sunshine.
(02-06-2013, 09:30 AM)Wonky Wrote:

<Snip>

Yeoch, Wonkers.

Lighten up? (You might have said "you might want to consider to be less heavy with your tone). I mean, hall monitoring and all...

Sorry you're stressed. And unplugged. But, seems like you landed here to catch a news story. I wonder if this place is less stressful than the morning news.

See, Wonky, here I can choose to click on a story. Something I'm sure you can choose to do also, for story you find below your standards. Mostly I stay out of the news section, which you can see by my posting habits. Right now, what I find stressful is you sniping at what people choose to post. Go snipe at someone for having idiotic opinions. There's lots of that around here.
(02-06-2013, 09:19 AM)Tiamat Wrote: Yeoch, Wonkers.

Me too. No more news feeds or TV news for weeks now. I think I'm enjoying life more now.
(02-06-2013, 09:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

<Snip>

Yeoch, Wonkers.

See, Wonky, here I can choose to click on a story. Something I'm sure you can choose to do also, for story you find below your standards. Mostly I stay out of the news section, which you can see by my posting habits. Right now, what I find stressful is you sniping at what people choose to post. Go snipe at someone for having idiotic opinions. There's lots of that around here.

Wrong, dear heart.
My point to Ponder was that news is just that: Available to all who are curious enough to read headlines.
But on this "forum", we meet for discussion. He failed in doing that.
(02-06-2013, 09:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

Me too. No more news feeds or TV news for weeks now. I think I'm enjoying life more now.

Sometimes I really want to watch and read news and be aware. Lately, when I think of it, I just don't want to. I get a bad feeling. So no more NPR to and from work or at the gym. Just music from my IPOD. Or nothing.. No news on the TV, although occasionally the local news. The local news is on my facebook which is how I keep up with my son, so I see some breaking stuff. NPR is my home page, so I get to skim headlines and see fascinating stuff like they found King Richard 1 under a parking lot in Leicester, England, but I skip the other things. But mostly, in the evening I come here, learn a few things, fight with a few people, look at some pictures and then stream documentaries or something online. Just where I'm at right now. So, I didn't know the post office Saturday thingy was official. Now I know. Eventually, my fickle ways will bring me around to being informed again. Right now, I can choose not to be.
Oh, brother.

OK, I'll "discuss."

Once in my life, I would have felt a negative impact from no Saturday mail. Right now, I'm in a place where it won't be an issue, in fact, I think it will be a relief. Kind of like the news diet. Kind of like going back to somewhat simpler times when we didn't have to have information thrown at us every second. I kind of like how Sundays are restful. But, yeah, I do shop on Sundays too, so I wouldn't want them to close.Wink
(02-06-2013, 09:45 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 07:44 AM)Wonky Wrote: Thanks for regurgitating news to which we too have access.

Yeoch, Wonkers.

Wrong, dear heart.
My point to Ponder was that news is just that: Available to all who are curious enough to read headlines.

Here's the deal. It is WRONG of you to tell others they are WRONG for what they consider to be news.

I don't know why you don't get it.
(02-06-2013, 09:43 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

God, I hope you don't vote!
(02-06-2013, 09:53 AM)Larry Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:45 AM)Wonky Wrote:

Wrong, dear heart.

Here's the deal. It is WRONG of you to tell others they are WRONG for what they consider to be news.

I don't know why you don't get it.

Tia, did you fall and hit your head?
I NEVER suggested what anyone should post as news. I suggest ONLY that when posting news stories on a forum, it seems pointless without some personal comment.

forum |?fôr?m|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:
[Image: lemon-eyeroll.gif]
(02-06-2013, 10:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote: [Image: lemon-eyeroll.gif]

Your comments (most often cut and pasted) are less than insightful and do little to add to the conversation. But, I know you are a busy lady and may not have time for reflection. I am thankful that it's been a LONG time since you suggested I go fuck myself, and for that I'm grateful.