No more Saturday mail
(02-06-2013, 02:10 PM)Clone Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 01:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: I am glad, however, that they won't be firing a bunch of people. They say they will cut back on overtime, lose some from attrition, and try to get the unions to help with buyouts.

And by maintaining package service on Saturdays, they remain competitive with the other package delivery services. If they dropped that, they'd lose way too much business.

There are entire crews who work on mail carrier's rotating days off.
They will be let go since everyone will now have Saturdays and Sundays off.

Again, cost cutting is always good, but most of you are brainwashed by the never ending litany: "The Post Office is losing money."

The Post Office is only losing money as far as funding pensions SEVENTY FIVE YEARS IN ADVANCE.

sounds good to me. If it is good enough for the pentagon workers, why not the post office workers.

You know there are some great postal workers and my fear it will be those that lose their jobs not the higher ups.
(02-06-2013, 02:29 PM)Crazylace Wrote: When I ordered some beads from Fire Mt. Gems, just down the street. My package got routed through Portland, AND Seattle before it arrived back in GP.
Perhaps the USPS could save a little $$ there.

Exactly! All mail in Hawaii goes through Honolulu too. Mail a birthday invitation to someone across town on one the other islands and it has to go to Oahu. That can't be cost effective.
(02-06-2013, 02:10 PM)Clone Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 01:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: I am glad, however, that they won't be firing a bunch of people. They say they will cut back on overtime, lose some from attrition, and try to get the unions to help with buyouts.

And by maintaining package service on Saturdays, they remain competitive with the other package delivery services. If they dropped that, they'd lose way too much business.

There are entire crews who work on mail carrier's rotating days off.
They will be let go since everyone will now have Saturdays and Sundays off.

Again, cost cutting is always good, but most of you are brainwashed by the never ending litany: "The Post Office is losing money."

The Post Office is only losing money as far as funding pensions SEVENTY FIVE YEARS IN ADVANCE.

If the post office is such a profit making organization why doesn't private industry start delivering letters from Los Angelos to New York for 46 cents? And Pay their workers very well also.
To take a thought from twitter why does the GOP try to kill the Post Office when it's a Constitutional mandate?
Don't infringe on my Post Office rights I say..
Now that we have the Constitutional mandate on the board, is it realistic to expect the USPS service to be profitable?
I have a 46 cent letter for Ma and Pa Fricker in the thucker brush, one letter. Must deliver. Oh and it was sent from Beaver Falls, No-whereville. This is why the private sector doesn't do it and the USPS delivers packages for UPS.
(02-06-2013, 12:09 PM)Clone Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 11:19 AM)tvguy Wrote: Why is this important? Rural people can't live with out letters on Saturday?

What's the matter, tv? Can't see the forest for the trees?

Does the term 'causing the postal demise' ring any bells?

Probably not, the post office is not dying a natural death, it's being killed by Congress.

Just thought some would like to be kept abreast.

You only see the Saturday delivery death; meanwhile, there's a much bigger picture.

It will be a sad when when we no longer have mail delivery by U.S. Postal Service workers.

But that day will come.

The sentence above, "The post office is not dying a natural death, it's being killed by Congress", if true, is only true by a slim margin of fact. Email is killing the Postal Service. The price of stamps can't be raised high enough to offset the loss of revenue due to lack of mailing 1st class letters. Because packages can't be emailed, the Postal Service can profit from that part of the business. And as noted above somewhere, you are not about to get UPS to deliver to Skunk Hollow, AK at a competitive price. Unfortunately rural purchases of stamps won't support the cost of that delivery.

I feel badly for the Postal Workers, because it's a tough job (both inside and out) and many folks have endured the rigors of this work for the security and pension benefits offered. Letter carriers in the past were even a "neighborhood watch" service in addition to delivering mail.

As we well know, the world is changing. Working people (wage earners) are the first to feel the blast, and it's causing real pain for millions of people.

I think this is just another example of the need for wage earning people to find a way to band together and demand the best the situation offers. As individuals we have little power.

Yes. The Postal Service is going to see drastic changes. How our country deals with this might well be the test of how many of our other workers are treated. This will be worth watching, and might even require becoming involved if necessary.
(02-06-2013, 06:23 PM)Wonky Wrote: It will be a sad when when we no longer have mail delivery by U.S. Postal Service workers.

But that day will come.

The sentence above, "The post office is not dying a natural death, it's being killed by Congress", if true, is only true by a slim margin of fact. Email is killing the Postal Service.

Before calling me a liar, check your facts instead of blabbing away about email, rural delivery and how bad,not badly you feel for the workers.
Wonky,
If you are so enlightened on all the news and find it odd to post news in a news forum, why are you even looking at a news forum?

I think it makes sense to cut back on mail delivery. You know, reduced government and all.
(02-06-2013, 09:57 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:53 AM)Larry Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:45 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:40 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:30 AM)Wonky Wrote: Lighten up? (You might have said "you might want to consider to be less heavy with your tone). I mean, hall monitoring and all...

Sorry you're stressed. And unplugged. But, seems like you landed here to catch a news story. I wonder if this place is less stressful than the morning news.

See, Wonky, here I can choose to click on a story. Something I'm sure you can choose to do also, for story you find below your standards. Mostly I stay out of the news section, which you can see by my posting habits. Right now, what I find stressful is you sniping at what people choose to post. Go snipe at someone for having idiotic opinions. There's lots of that around here.

Wrong, dear heart.
My point to Ponder was that news is just that: Available to all who are curious enough to read headlines.
But on this "forum", we meet for discussion. He failed in doing that.

Here's the deal. It is WRONG of you to tell others they are WRONG for what they consider to be news.

I don't know why you don't get it.

Tia, did you fall and hit your head?
I NEVER suggested what anyone should post as news. I suggest ONLY that when posting news stories on a forum, it seems pointless without some personal comment.

forum |?fôr?m|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

Splitting hairs.
(02-06-2013, 10:42 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 09:53 AM)Wonky Wrote: God, I hope you don't vote!

News always creeps in, I'm just no longer seeking it. Vote? Are there election looming?

I love reading this sentence.
It's hard to exchange ideas and views on a particular issue when people would rather attack the person who introduces the topic than actually start a discussion about it.
(02-06-2013, 01:42 PM)chuck white Wrote: I see a day when they don't deliver mail at all.
Like the milkman, the postman will be only a memory of the past.

I think you are right about that.
(02-06-2013, 07:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

News always creeps in, I'm just no longer seeking it. Vote? Are there election looming?

There must be a crumb under my s key. Happy
(02-06-2013, 08:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 07:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

There must be a crumb under my s key. Happy

I still like it.
(02-06-2013, 07:42 PM)csrowan Wrote: It's hard to exchange ideas and views on a particular issue when people would rather attack the person who introduces the topic than actually start a discussion about it.

Jeezz Rowan did your bus just arrive, That ground was covered this morning.
Without getting all Google happy I wonder how Wonky can't be right about email replacing snail mail.
My wife and I can't even remember the last time either of us sent a letter anywhere.
Pretty sure were not oddballs.
We bank online, do insurance whatever.

BTW Hows the film industry doing since digital Cameras?
It's because you and Wonky both just say whatever thing you're feeling without bothering to check. Clone has pointed out many times that the post office problems are specifically being caused because the post office alone of all quasi-federal agencies is being required to fund retirement benefits decades before they ever happen. You two seem to love being uninformed but having something to say about it anyway.

Clone has particular insight, interest, and knowledge of this case because her hubby is a retired postal worker. Go ahead and disparage her knowledge and input though.
(02-06-2013, 09:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: Without getting all Google happy I wonder how Wonky can't be right about email replacing snail mail.
My wife and I can't even remember the last time either of us sent a letter anywhere.
Pretty sure were not oddballs.
We bank online, do insurance whatever.

BTW Hows the film industry doing since digital Cameras?

I thought Chuck said it... in between the lecturing.
(02-06-2013, 09:07 PM)PonderThis Wrote: It's because you and Wonky both just say whatever thing you're feeling without bothering to check. Clone has pointed out many times that the post office problems are specifically being caused because the post office alone of all quasi-federal agencies is being required to fund retirement benefits decades before they ever happen. You two seem to love being uninformed but having something to say about it anyway.

Clone has particular insight, interest, and knowledge of this case because her hubby is a retired postal worker. Go ahead and disparage her knowledge and input though.

OH for pete's sake you idiot what the hell can't I make an educated guess. I didn't say I knew it all or that email was the one and only problem the postal service has.
All I 'm saying is that it's one of the nails in the USPS coffin. Seems pretty obvious to anyone with a brain in their head.

And why can't you hit REPLY when you REPLY you DOLT?
You love me, don't ya.