SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS = WTH
Is anyone else aware and concerned about whats been happening down there? Because my family owns coastal property, I receive (from USGS.gov) email alerts for earthquakes of 6.0 and greater. Here is what troubles me....

Earthquakes 6.0 or greater in Santa Cruz Islands:

2010 = 4
2011 = 8
2012 = 3
2013 = 36 including multiple 7.0 + and a 8.0

Through the many years I've had these alerts I have never seen so many quakes of 6.0 or greater in one area EVER.
Unless you're downwind of the reactor at Oceanside, you'll probably be able to ride it out.
(02-08-2013, 02:38 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Unless you're downwind of the reactor at Oceanside, you'll probably be able to ride it out.

Different place.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Santa+Cru...slands&z=4
(02-08-2013, 09:42 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Is anyone else aware and concerned about whats been happening down there? Because my family owns coastal property, I receive (from USGS.gov) email alerts for earthquakes of 6.0 and greater. Here is what troubles me....

Earthquakes 6.0 or greater in Santa Cruz Islands:

2010 = 4
2011 = 8
2012 = 3
2013 = 36 including multiple 7.0 + and a 8.0

Through the many years I've had these alerts I have never seen so many quakes of 6.0 or greater in one area EVER.

Looks like Ring of Fire to me. Under sea volcano getting ready to blow?
(02-08-2013, 09:42 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Is anyone else aware and concerned about whats been happening down there? Because my family owns coastal property

I could never feel at ease owning coastal property, unless maybe it was way high up on the cliffside. Smiling
(02-08-2013, 04:26 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 09:42 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Is anyone else aware and concerned about whats been happening down there? Because my family owns coastal property

I could never feel at ease owning coastal property, unless maybe it was way high up on the cliffside. Smiling

Tell me about it! I bought some beachfront property in Nebraska, on Ebay, and got nervous and had to trade it for an electric device that turns lead into gold. There for a week or so I was afraid I'd been had.
It's caused by the fracting for oil.
The idea of owning property has taken on new meaning, for me. I got out of property, once before. In the seventies. I'm out of it for good, now. Maybe for the very rightest deal. But that would have to include more than a home. It'd have to be a nice farm, or some decent situation. I'll put the lion's share of a mortgage in my pocket, until I can invest it at a yard sale. No land. No money. Just stuff.
Quote:Stepped-up seismic activity raises concerns that big quake may be looming

Kuchikomi Feb. 06, 2013 - 06:55AM JST ( 37 )

TOKYO —

Since the devastating Great East Japan Earthquake of March 11, 2011, aftershocks have occurred frequently along Japan’s Pacific coast. That may be the reason why people didn’t pay a great deal of notice to the M4 earthquake that rattled the northern part of Ibaraki Prefecture on Dec 28.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/kuchi...be-looming
Isn't this the same situation off the Oregon coast?

Quote:February 8, 2013 – SANTA CRUZ, ISLS – The deadly 8.0 earthquake and tsunami that hit the Solomon Islands days ago, struck along a subduction zone, the same geologic setting responsible for the world’s most powerful earthquakes. In a subduction zone, two of Earth’s tectonic plates meet and one slides beneath the other into the mantle, the deeper layer beneath the crust. The Solomon Islands sits above the collision between the Australia and Pacific plates. In the region of the magnitude-8.0 earthquake, the Australia plates dives beneath the Pacific plate toward the east-northeast at a geologically speedy 3.7 inches (94 millimeters) per year, according to the Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS). The earthquake hit at a depth of 17.8 miles (28.7 kilometers) and was the second largest earthquake in the Solomon Islands region in almost 40 years, IRIS said in a statement. Several aftershocks followed; the largest measuring magnitude 6.6, according to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The tsunami generated by the quake, reported as 3 feet (0.9 meters) in height, hit villages on Santa Cruz Island, destroying structures and homes, according to news reports. A tsunami watch was issued for Australia, Indonesia and New Zealand, but not for the rest of the Pacific, according to the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center. Subduction zone quakes shove the seafloor in one sudden movement, which may generate a tsunami by pushing the ocean water above. However, depending on the depth and size of the earthquake, the actual seafloor surface may not move a significant amount, so a big earthquake doesn’t always produce a massive wave. For example, a magnitude-7.6 subduction zone earthquake in the Philippines in August 2012, which started deep in Earth’s crust, did not trigger a tsunami. There were dozens of earthquakes around the Solomon Islands in the month leading up to the massive 8.0 earthquake, the USGS reported. More than 40 magnitude-4.5 quakes shook the islands in the past week alone, and seven of those temblors were larger than a magnitude-6.0, the USGS said.
–Discovery