Wyoming: Love It or Leave It
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/0...eans-leave
[Image: imagesizer?file=laura-conawayD2F6EFEF-98...&width=380]
Over the summer, the Reverend Audette Fulbright moved with her family to Cheyenne, Wyoming. where she preaches at the Unitarian Universalist church. When the state legislature began debating a bill to allow for the carrying of concealed weapons at schools and sporting events, Fulbright wrote to lawmakers to express her concerns about guns and about fracking. She wrote, in part:

My husband and I moved to Wyoming not too long ago. We believed it was a good place to raise children. With the recent and reactive expansion of gun laws and the profoundly serious dangers of fracking, we find we are seriously reconsidering our decision, which is wrenching to all of us. However, the safety of our family must come first. We are waiting to see what the legislature does this session. I know of other new-to-Wyoming families in similar contemplation. Your choices matter. It would be sad to see an exodus of educated, childrearing age adults from Wyoming as a result of poor lawmaking.

Fulbright says she heard back from one Democratic lawmaker, who told the bill had been moved to committee, and from Republican state Representative Hans Hunt (the one on the left), who wrote:

I'll be blunt. If you don't like the political atmosphere of Wyoming, then by all means, leave. We, who have been here a very long time (I am proudly 4th generation) are quite proud of our independent heritage. I don't expect a "mass exodus" from our state just because we're standing up for our rights. As to your comments on fracking, I would point out that you're basing your statement on "dangers" that have not been scientifically founded or proved as of yet.

It offends me to no end when liberal out-of-staters such as yourself move into Wyoming, trying to get away from where they came from, and then pompously demand that Wyoming conform to their way of thinking. We are, and will continue to be, a state which stands a head above the rest in terms of economic security. Our ability to do that is, in large part, to our "live and let live" mentality when it comes to allowing economic development, and limiting government oversight. So, to conclude, if you're so worried about what our legislature is working on, then go back home.

Hunt tells the Casper Star-Tribune that he's not sorry to have been so blunt. Wyoming has been growing, but it remains our least-populated state. It is also under full Republican control, both chambers of the legislature and the governorship. The blue dots stand out, I guess. (Thanks to Steve Nadeau of Colorado for the story. You can send us stuff like this here and here.)
It's a good place to get a pellet in your heart, from Dick Cheney. He's one of the fortysix full time residents. Fourth generation, means about as much in Wyoming, as it does in Oregon.
Well BBQ, when I was reading the first part by the Reverend, I was thinking almost exactly the response she received. Good for Hans Hunt, and I extend the same sentiment to any of you who came from New York, San Francisco, or even Portland. How dare you move someplace else and demand those already there conform to YOU? Arrogance at it's pinnacle.
(02-11-2013, 09:18 PM)Larry Wrote: Well BBQ, when I was reading the first part by the Reverend, I was thinking almost exactly the response she received. Good for Hans Hunt, and I extend the same sentiment to any of you who came from New York, San Francisco, or even Portland. How dare you move someplace else and demand those already there conform to YOU? Arrogance at it's pinnacle.

So you're against the Free State Project that's trying to convince 20,000+ conservatives to move to New Hampshire to try to turn it into a conservative paradise?
(02-11-2013, 09:24 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 09:18 PM)Larry Wrote: Well BBQ, when I was reading the first part by the Reverend, I was thinking almost exactly the response she received. Good for Hans Hunt, and I extend the same sentiment to any of you who came from New York, San Francisco, or even Portland. How dare you move someplace else and demand those already there conform to YOU? Arrogance at it's pinnacle.

So you're against the Free State Project that's trying to convince 20,000+ conservatives to move to New Hampshire to try to turn it into a conservative paradise?

I don't know anything about it, but if it is EXACTLY as you describe it, I would hope the indiginous people resist it. Unless they WANT it.
(02-11-2013, 09:38 PM)Larry Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 09:24 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I don't know anything about it, but if it is EXACTLY as you describe it, I would hope the indiginous people resist it. Unless they WANT it.

I'm sure it's not EXACTLY as I describe it, but it's fairly close. The people involved in the Free State Project voted on the best place to move to, based on their ideals, and New Hampshire won. The goal is to get at least 20,000 people who share those ideals to move to New Hampshire and vow to protect their ideals (and make fight for/vote for changes to further protect them).

Quote:The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property. The success of the Project would likely entail reductions in taxation and regulation, reforms at all levels of government, to expand individual rights and free markets, and a restoration of constitutional federalism, demonstrating the benefits of liberty to the rest of the nation and the world.
www.freestateproject.org

These people in Wyoming, however, are already residents, and are complaining about changes to the law and increasing fracking that happened after they moved there. They made the decision to move there based on what was happening at the time they moved. All they are asking for (from what I can see) is a return to the status quo, or perhaps a little compromising. To me, that doesn't sound anything like they "pompously demand that Wyoming conform to their way of thinking", as the Reverend suggested.
4th generation native Oregonians would clearcut the state for a buck too.
My family used the courts to cheat The Siletz Tribe out of their timber. The greatest single sale of old growth, ever. And, then Georgia Pacific, and Pappy Ford, used the notion that The Johnsons had some black blood, to steal the whole pie. But, they didn't log it for a buck. They built a Nazi empire out of it. And, they are about to designate their Fuhrer. Will it be Allyn? I think Pappy was worried Allyn wasn't criminal enough to run his empire. Pappy needn't have worried. Allyn will kill for a buck. And, use his sheriff, Gilbertson to handle the details. But, after they fucked up the last hit on me, they may be reconsidering their approach. Our old guard in Oregon are Scotch/Cherokee removed from the colonies. Packwood's family was one of those. And, Packwood was a skunk. A lying, thieving, skunk.