Hero's Lost
Just found out today that I lost a cousin in Afghanistan. I didn't know him well, but I KNEW him. I think that with the level of involvement most of us probabaly have with family in the military, it might be a good Topic to start. Try not to shit in this mess kit.

Thank you for your sevice Lee. I am proud to be part of a family willing to put it all on the line. I will not forget you.
Sorry for your loss Hugo.
tvguy Wrote:Sorry for your loss Hugo.
Thanks. I knew him, in that I have met him. Scattered Family and all that. I knew he had joined, but I hadn't heard about the deployment. I guess I am feeling a little down about it.

Anyway, can we have a place like this for remembering? If not, I will ask the owner to take it down. Maybe it doesn't belong here. Maybe no one really cares to see and be reminded of selfless acts by brave people.
I'm afraid there are some here that will stomp on this. But one can hope.

Can the wounded count? I thank my niece, and a good friend. Both wish they could have continued their mission.
I promise not to poop in this topic.

You may recall my nieces new husband will be deploying again soon. I think most of us worry about our friends and relatives being placed in harms way so I see no reason for any disrespectful post.

We don't have to let the topic mutate into a discussion about the war, If we don't, then this will be place to share the kind of posts you started the topic with. Personally, I don't like to discuss tragedy with people that I don't know well. Also, if dying is a condition for inclusion in the Heroes topic, I hope this thread gets very few posts.
cletus1 Wrote:I promise not to poop in this topic.

You may recall my nieces new husband will be deploying again soon. I think most of us worry about our friends and relatives being placed in harms way so I see no reason for any disrespectful post.

We don't have to let the topic mutate into a discussion about the war, If we don't, then this will be place to share the kind of posts you started the topic with. Personally, I don't like to discuss tragedy with people that I don't know well. Also, if dying is a condition for inclusion in the Heroes topic, I hope this thread gets very few posts.

Clete, we even worry about your nephew in law. Wish him our best and tell him OL says "DEFEAT JIHAD!!!"
So Sorry for your loss Hugo.
Cletus so right...this is about a personal thing and we honor the service of all who respond to the call.
I hope this madness ends sooner than later.
Wonky Wrote:So Sorry for your loss Hugo.
Cletus so right...this is about a personal thing and we honor the service of all who respond to the call.
I hope this madness ends sooner than later.
I think we can all agree on that.
Hugo Wrote:Just found out today that I lost a cousin in Afghanistan. I didn't know him well, but I KNEW him. I think that with the level of involvement most of us probabaly have with family in the military, it might be a good Topic to start. Try not to shit in this mess kit.

Thank you for your sevice Lee. I am proud to be part of a family willing to put it all on the line. I will not forget you.

Hugo, I am truly sorry for your loss. And the title of your post is perfect.
An excellent cut Mr. Moderator.

And Hugo, this will be an excellent thread that you have begun. I delight in trusting this now.

Perhaps we can pay homage to those that put duty above all. They will remain above us, no matter what we do now.
I am sorry for your loss... but I believe no one should go to war and then there will be no loses... We should only fight if someone comes on our soil with violent intentions.
desertairbreeze Wrote:I am sorry for your loss... but I believe no one should go to war and then there will be no loses... We should only fight if someone comes on our soil with violent intentions.
Does 9/11 ring a bell?
Start a thread.
Perhaps the two posters before Queue did not read the moderators rules. This is not the political or debate section of the forum.
cletus1 Wrote:Perhaps the two posters before Queue did not read the moderators rules. This is not the political or debate section of the forum.
Thank you cletus1. I didn't want to be the one to say something, for fear of the hijack progressing deeper. I hope your nieces husband comes through the ordeal unscathed in every way. And I hope for some way out of the hole the world has dug itself, so that they may all return home.
Recently watched (online) "The Lost Platoon", A PBS FRONTLINE production from May of this year.

The issues were varied and complex, and all sad. Many of the soldiers repeated the old refrain that once there, they only cared about the guys they were with, all other motivations faded into unreality. Those lucky enough to live are damaged in one way or another it seems.

I recommend the production, but for me it was not a pleasant viewing. (The productions takes no stand about the reasons we are there, or any blame, or positive reason, for the war).
Wonky Wrote:Recently watched (online) "The Lost Platoon", A PBS FRONTLINE production from May of this year.

The issues were varied and complex, and all sad. Many of the soldiers repeated the old refrain that once there, they only cared about the guys they were with, all other motivations faded into unreality. Those lucky enough to live are damaged in one way or another it seems.

I recommend the production, but for me it was not a pleasant viewing. (The productions takes no stand about the reasons we are there, or any blame, or positive reason, for the war).

Surprisingly, HBO tried the same thing. It believe it is called "Survival Day". It interviews the more severely wounded. I can tell you that in talking to many that were wounded (and not) from Vietnam, and, to a greater degree, to current day, the duty to their brothers (and now sisters) in service was the #1 reason. This makes sense to me. I don't think this degrades their heroism, or duty, one bit. But it might give a deserved hit to an Arlo Guthrie line that many ... many ... stupidly believe in to this day. Whenever the Guthrie attitude is expressed toward the troops, I only see ignorance.
Queue Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:Recently watched (online) "The Lost Platoon", A PBS FRONTLINE production from May of this year.

Surprisingly, HBO tried the same thing. It believe it is called "Survival Day". It interviews the more severely wounded. I can tell you that in talking to many that were wounded (and not) from Vietnam, and, to a greater degree, to current day, the duty to their brothers (and now sisters) in service was the #1 reason. This makes sense to me. I don't think this degrades their heroism, or duty, one bit. But it might give a deserved hit to an Arlo Guthrie line that many ... many ... stupidly believe in to this day. Whenever the Guthrie attitude is expressed toward the troops, I only see ignorance.

Now I have to Google Guthrie and look for the reference.
And I'm really old.
Hope I don't croak before I find it.
Wonky Wrote:
Queue Wrote:

Now I have to Google Guthrie and look for the reference.
And I'm really old.
Hope I don't croak before I find it.

"I wanna KILL ... I wanna eat veins"

I shouldn't have brought it up.
You can get anything you want.......

Was Guthrie being anti troops? Or anti war?