Thin Snowpack in the West
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/23/us/in-...gewanted=1
DENVER — After enduring last summer’s destructive drought, farmers, ranchers and officials across the parched Western states had hoped that plentiful winter snows would replenish the ground and refill their rivers, breaking the grip of one of the worst dry spells in American history. No such luck.

Lakes are half full and mountain snows are thin, omens of another summer of drought and wildfire. Complicating matters, many of the worst-hit states have even less water on hand than a year ago, raising the specter of shortages and rationing that could inflict another year of losses on struggling farms.

Reservoir levels have fallen sharply in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada. The soil is drier than normal. And while a few recent snowstorms have cheered skiers, the snowpack is so thin in parts of Colorado that the government has declared an “extreme drought” around the ski havens of Vail and Aspen.

“We’re worse off than we were a year ago,” said Brian Fuchs, a climatologist at the National Drought Mitigation Center.

This week’s blizzard brought a measure of relief to the Plains when it dumped more than a foot of snow. But it did not change the basic calculus for forecasters and officials in the drought-scarred West. Ranchers are straining to find hay — it is scarce and expensive — to feed cattle. And farmers are fretting about whether they will have enough water to irrigate their fields.

“It’s approaching a critical situation,” said Mike Hungenberg, who grows carrots and cabbage on a 3,000-acre farm in Northern Colorado. There is so little water available this year, he said, that he may scale back his planting by a third, and sow less thirsty crops, like beans.

“A year ago we went into the spring season with most of the reservoirs full,” Mr. Hungenberg said. “This year, you’re going in with basically everything empty.”

National and state forecasters — some of whom now end phone calls by saying, “Pray for snow” — do have some hope. An especially wet springtime could still spare the Western plains and mountains and prime the soil for planting. But forecasts are murky: They predict warmer weather and less precipitation across the West over the next three months but say the Midwest could see more rain than usual.

Water experts get more nervous with each passing day.

“We’re running out of time,” said Andy Pineda of the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District. “We only have a month or two, and we are so far behind it’s going to take storms of epic amounts just to get us back to what we would think of as normal.”
continued....
I hope they have enough water for the new hemp fields in Colorado.
I was encouraged, by the big dump around Christmas. But, I'm walking Spot, under clear skies, every day, and night. Praying I'll have to put on the rubber boots. Last night we walked at dark, under a fuzzy edged, big old moon. Before light, we walked again, under a big round, crisp edged one. I love these walks.
The nicer percipitation, waits to fall, until near the end of the season. Let's hope that's what happens. My hucklebberies get big, after a late wet season. It's only more water in them. But, there's flavor enough, to dilute. And, it feels more rewarding, when you aren't picking little dinks.
As to the woods...my own family coined the phrase "Keep Oregon Green" (Because we had a big chunk of it). It was a foolish error. That spawned an army of seven million dwarfs, who mine the public domain. In fancier pickups, than I drove when I was as rich, as my ex. With BLM, and Forest Service patches, on their uniforms. Ranger Dick needs to find suitable work. Maybe for Allyn Ford. But this time at his expense. Not ours.