sticky mouse traps
I need one. No where I've gone, sells any of them. I've got some kind of mouse that's watched mouse trap or something. Nothing works. He's the cleverest mouse in the world.
Did you try True Value (Ace Hardware) or the Grange?
(02-26-2013, 11:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I need one. No where I've gone, sells any of them. I've got some kind of mouse that's watched mouse trap or something. Nothing works. He's the cleverest mouse in the world.

The Grange Co-Op should have them. Get the large ones for rats and drop a little peanut butter in the center. SQUEAK, SQUEAK! Big Grin
If the mouse can outsmart Tia, that makes him smarter than Tornado.
Wouldn't he be alert to the sticky ruse?
(02-26-2013, 11:41 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Did you try True Value (Ace Hardware) or the Grange?

Grange, yes. No go. Not True Value yet. Been to Bi mart, walmart,food for less, Fred meyers, nada nada
(02-26-2013, 11:43 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-26-2013, 11:34 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I need one. No where I've gone, sells any of them. I've got some kind of mouse that's watched mouse trap or something. Nothing works. He's the cleverest mouse in the world.

The Grange Co-Op should have them. Get the large ones for rats and drop a little peanut butter in the center. SQUEAK, SQUEAK! Big Grin

They don't.
(02-26-2013, 11:45 PM)bbqboy Wrote: If the mouse can outsmart Tia, that makes him smarter than Tornado.
Wouldn't he be alert to the sticky ruse?

Well, t hen what?? We resorted to poison...still got it. Got traps. It takes the sticky butter and leaves, springing the trap and leaving it empty. It's clever. It climbs furniture somehow, hangs upside down and nibbles at fruit I've got hanging to keep it out of reach. I'm getting pretty put out at this point. Sometimes I go in there and just turn the vacuum on randomly to scare him with loud noises for a while. I can't catch him. I can't kill him. I can't outsmart him. Yet.
(02-26-2013, 11:47 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-26-2013, 11:43 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

They don't.

Maybe not mouse season. Call Larry or TV. Laughing

[Image: tom_and_jerry_DuelPersonality.jpg]
Well, it's effective! I'd do it. But I own no guns. I need a sick teenager for an evening.
(02-26-2013, 11:46 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-26-2013, 11:41 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Did you try True Value (Ace Hardware) or the Grange?

Grange, yes. No go. Not True Value yet. Been to Bi mart, walmart,food for less, Fred meyers, nada nada

Try lowes
Or Larry. He's got the firepower.
True value and lowes are next on the list. I want like a laser beam that shoots when someone moves when the light is off.
Sticky traps are widely considered to be inhumane - have you ever watched a rodent stuck in one? It's a pretty disgusting way to watch a rodent very slowly die of exposure, while they struggle. Death takes many hours if not days to occur. If these are no longer sold it won't bother me any.

Bread is my favorite mouse trap bait for conventional traps (I mush the bread right into the bait holder, where one baiting often catches numerous rodents. I don't like the supposedly pre-baited traps with that yellow chunk of plastic, I don't think they catch nearly as many mice.) Professionals place traps at a 90 degree angle from the wall, with the bait end facing the center of the room. (Because, rodents tend to run along the edges of walls, and traps in this position make them go around them and gives them maximum exposure to the bait from both directions.)

I had a "pet" raven that hung around for awhile, it liked eating the dead mice I put out for him. I'm not sure what else eats already dead mice. Smiling
I agree with ponder the sticky traps are a horrible way for the mouse to die, have you tried the snap traps. what works well on them is a mixture of bacon grease and peanut butter. And those traps are cheap so I would throw the whole thing out when we caught the mouse, but we had them real bad in Roseburg. We had a mouse that seemed to be able to get anything off of the traps that we put on, we finally got him.
We've been getting a nightly visit from a small rat. We tried the snap trap and it missed him. We then bought two of those sticky traps because I know that the rat isn't going to go for the snap bait again for awhile. But now I realize that the rat might suffer in the sticky traps so we are going to buy one of those live traps that will capture him. Then we can release him.... at Ponder's house.

First we're going to water-board him though. Evil

Tia, we really do have two of those sticky traps that my wife bought locally. I'll ask her where. If we catch him in one I doubt that we would watch him struggle. I'll probably smack him in the head with something.

BTW, our 1st choice was the snap trap. If you do go that route, bait it without setting it for a couple of nights to get him used to it. Then on the night that you set it, make sure that the bait is packed in tight enough for him to have to work the trigger a little bit.

Edit: We got our sticky traps from the Central Point Grange.
I bought mine at walmart, a few years back. A family of six moved in to our kitchen and it took a week to catch them all. (combination of snap traps and sticky paper)
I also used the sticky trap to rid myself of a yellow jacket nest. After I drowned the nest and moved it else where in an early morning attack, I had 100's returning through out the day looking for their nest. I placed the flat sticky paper near the swarming with a little suger (not sure if that did anything) in the middle. Once one bee landed on it others followed, they were all stuck or gone within about 12 hours.
I've actually been dealing with rats lately myself, they took up residence in a commercial building I've got between tenants right now. I caught two of them in snap traps, and just yesterday I was stuffing steel wool in their holes (they can't chew steel wool). Exclusion is the best method.

My friend at Vector Control told me a way one farmer caught rats in a barn that was infested with them. He put a washtub in the middle of the barn, filled with grain, and let them eat for two weeks. He then filled the tub with water with just a bit of grain sprinkled on top. That night he caught all of them. I suppose they suffered a little before they died.

I caught one mouse this year in my new house with a snap trap too. I'm sure forum readers will be saddened to hear of this personal lapse in my ethics. Sad
Use a regular trap. You can set it for a very light touch. So light just sitting it down will spring it. I have caught very small mice with them. I have also had very large one run off withe the trap in tow.
I built a teeter totter that swivelled on the edge of a tub. I baited the inside end, and they just fell in. Then, off to the neighbors.