Transgender 6-year-old barred from girls' restroom at Colorado school
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/...map=%5B%5D

Quote:The parents of a transgender 6-year-old have filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division because the child's elementary school banned her from using the girls' restroom.
The child, Coy Mathis, was born male but identifies as female. She had attended the public school in Fountain, Colo., south of Colorado Springs, since December 2011 before being pulled out by her parents.
"This is significant for both Colorado and nationally," said Michael Silverman, executive director of the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, who is representing the family. "For Colorado, it is the first test of the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act as related to access to bathrooms by transgender students.
"On a national level, as we see more and more transgender people coming out at younger and younger ages, people will be watching what happens in Colorado."

Hard situation, but my opinion is that at a young age like this male genitalia belongs in the boys' restroom.
You know at 6 it is not that big of a deal, I am going to guess there are doors on the stalls so no one is seeing anything. But as the kids get older there will be issues that start to develop, even though this child may identify himself as a her he does have male parts and his parts will start to develop. What is going to happen when he has to start changing to gym class. Are the girls going to comfortable changing in front of a male, regardless of how he feels, he is still a male.

I feel for this child, and this is a very difficult situation.
I would homeschool this child until she/he has completed gender surgery. Anything else is going to be too awkward for everybody.
"We socially transitioned her to a girl, which at that age means merely changing pronouns and growing her hair out,” Kathryn Mathis told The Gazette.

Those parents sure jacked this kids life up. It should be taken from them and fixed asap.
(02-27-2013, 07:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I would homeschool this child until she/he has completed gender surgery. Anything else is going to be too awkward for everybody.

It's not that simple. I know a transgender person who identifies as female. She doesn't want hormone replacement therapy, because it makes the genitalia non-functional sexually. And gender reassignment surgery leaves you with a part that works, sorta, but it's nowhere near the real thing.

So she's going to just get saline implants up top and leave down below as is. It makes sense to me. You either lose a lot of sexual pleasure, or you have genitalia that matches your gender identity. Different people will value those differently.

And the only reason this is at all awkward is because society sucks. Teach kids that some people are like this and there's nothing wrong with them and there won't be any problems.
Reminds me of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119590/ ,(Ma vie en rose) ,a beautiful film with a lot of important messages about tolerance, acceptance, the lengths we go in order to conform, and what we may lose along the way.
I'd recommend this film to anyone with a heart and a brain. The rest of you, I wouldn't bother, it's in French with English sub-titles.
(02-27-2013, 08:48 PM)Crazylace Wrote: Reminds me of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119590/ ,(Ma vie en rose) ,a beautiful film with a lot of important messages about tolerance, acceptance, the lengths we go in order to conform, and what we may lose along the way.
I'd recommend this film to anyone with a heart and a brain. The rest of you, I wouldn't bother, it's in French with English sub-titles.

Big Grin

She may well be Miss America, one day.
Bathrooms should not be separated by sex

Bathrooms should be separated by equipment.

They should be 'Penis' and 'No Penis'

and maybe one for Asians ??