Marijuana Possession Arrests Exceed Violent Crime Arrests
Americans are shifting on marijuana. More than half of them think it should be regulated like alcohol and cigarettes, 18 states have passed legislation approving it for medical use and Washington State and Colorado have legalized it for recreational use, but it remains illegal under federal law. And the arrests continue — one every 42 seconds, and 86 percent of those are simply for possession, according to the Marijuana Policy Project.

In 2011, marijuana possession arrests totaled 663,032 — more than arrests for all violent crimes combined. Possession arrests have nearly doubled since 1980, according to an FBI report, while teen marijuana use recently reached a 30-year high.

President Obama said last month that going after recreational pot users in states where it is legal is not "a top priority" for his administration, which echoes a promise he made in 2008 not to interfere with states' medical marijuana laws. Since then, his administration has aggressively targeted dispensaries that are in compliance with state law.

Taxpayers have shouldered the cost of arresting and incarcerating hundreds of thousands of people for the possession of marijuana, often in small quantities for personal use. Some national estimates put the annual cost of marijuana arrests above $10 billion, and low-level arrests for marijuana possession cost New York City alone $75 million in 2010. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo proposed decriminalizing possession of 15 grams or less — even when flashed in public view — last week in his State of the State address.

"Every year, this process needlessly scars thousands of lives and wastes millions of dollars in law enforcement resources, while detracting from the prosecution of serious crime," Cuomo said. "It’s not fair, it’s not right. It must end, and it must end now."

Cut & Pasted from.
............... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17...90340.html
Marijuana Possession Arrests Exceed Violent Crime Arrests

? is this a big surprise?
No one is seeing the obvious here. As marijuana use increases, violent crime goes down. Well, The Judges, and DAs, and Cops see it. And, when you earn your pay on the weight of a forged GED, or being the only sober attoney around, then you'd be worried too. That's why Judge Baker sent a perp away to prison. For rounding his victim's heels. with a little pot. Now, surely judge Baker, knows better than that. But, She knows which side her bread is buttered on. And, she is so addicted to eating, that her thinking has becme impaired. There is your addict. Thrown before you bare. Except for her 19XXXXLLL Robe.
And why does this nonsense continue? Because Americans by and large are a bunch of brain washed fools. Also, there is a mentality in this country that if its something the "other" person is doing, not something that I do, then I don't really give a shit. Too bad for them.

America Sucks!
Look on the bright side, those are people that won't be able to legally own firearms for some time, if not for the rest of their lives. Until laws change there will be consequences for breaking them. Seems to me if the consequences are to harsh don't break the law.
With that attitude we could execute people for speeding, and slow our highways right down quick.
Seems you would throw your support for more possession arrest simply because it takes away the right to firearm ownership for a period of time, if not for life.
I wasn't aware a marijuana possession arrest took your right to firearm ownership away, frankly. Unlike you I don't have this fascination with having the ability to kill or destroy things. And I can't imagine why any of you care what other people do as long as no one else is harmed, either.
(01-18-2013, 07:32 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I wasn't aware a marijuana possession arrest took your right to firearm ownership away, frankly. Unlike you I don't have this fascination with having the ability to kill or destroy things. And I can't imagine why any of you care what other people do as long as no one else is harmed, either.

So why the fascination with legal firearm owners then?
Like I said, you guys seem to love killing death and destruction so much, you do nothing good with these things yet you pose a danger to all the rest of us with your hobbies. It's noisy and it's intrusive too.

If you only shot yourselves with your guns and they were silent I'd never say a word. Well, I might wonder at your mindset a little, but I do that anyway.
Same can be said of you guys and your dope. Trafficking, kidnapping, rape, and murder are just a few crimes that come to mind involving dope.
That's some of the most farfetched stuff I've ever heard about Oregon's medical marijuana.
So pot only exists on Oregon, and is only for medicinal purposes? That's some of the most far fetched stuff I have ever heard.
You said "you guys and your dope", so I assumed you were talking about the people I knew here in Oregon. Perhaps you'll need to show us some evidence then for the kidnappings, rapes, and murders associated with marijuana, since you don't like my anecdotal reports.
The guy that got his drunk kid killed, out on The Illinois. Maybe he was smoking something? You drunks mow us down, and the courts hunt for a reason, to let you off easy. When, it'd be just as easy to fill cells, with you. And, for all the right reasons.
New show on Discovery.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/pot-co...t-raid.htm
I was put on medical marijuana at The Roseburg VA. Not by the doctors (If indeed they really were doctors). By the patients who grew it right on the bank of the river. Trying to bulk me up a little. Beer hadn't had a good effect. Pot did. Pot put enough weight on me that I was able to survive the assaults of my schoolmates, who had heard that I might be a little too dark for polite society. Pot got me out of Roseburg alive. Heroin got me back from Viet Nam alive. The radiation victims who started this jouney with me, are all dead. This is my fiftythird year of medical marijuana.