My Letter to Jeff Merkley: Gun Control
(03-06-2013, 01:51 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 01:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 01:08 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 12:20 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 12:17 PM)tvguy Wrote: Ponder and Leonard, you both missed the simple point I TRIED to make.

You don't have a freaking choice you HAVE to trust a cop with a gun and you have to trust your government with military style weapons.

I don't have to. Smiling
A good rule of thumb; don't trust anyone with an advantage, especially an advantage that can kill you.

OK YOU walk by a cop with a gun and YOU don't trust him.

I walk by the same cop and I do trust him.

Explain to me who you are any safer than I am?

The reason we have police is because we have to trust someone to do the work they do. 99.9 % of the time we they do NOTHING to lose that trust.

Freaked out old hippies with twisted logic can be afraid all they want. It won't do them any good and it makes no sense to dwell on the .1 percent.

Caution should be the order of the day because guns do kill people, even accidentally but only when someone pulls the trigger, otherwise they are nothing more than an interesting bit of metallurgy.

I've lived in England where the police don't carry weapons other than a club, though they have access to an arsenal if needed and the people share a friendly and respectful attitude with their public safety personal.

England also has a higher violent crime rate then the US.
(03-06-2013, 01:51 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 01:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 01:08 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 12:20 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 12:17 PM)tvguy Wrote: Ponder and Leonard, you both missed the simple point I TRIED to make.

You don't have a freaking choice you HAVE to trust a cop with a gun and you have to trust your government with military style weapons.

I don't have to. Smiling
A good rule of thumb; don't trust anyone with an advantage, especially an advantage that can kill you.

OK YOU walk by a cop with a gun and YOU don't trust him.

I walk by the same cop and I do trust him.

Explain to me who you are any safer than I am?

The reason we have police is because we have to trust someone to do the work they do. 99.9 % of the time we they do NOTHING to lose that trust.

Freaked out old hippies with twisted logic can be afraid all they want. It won't do them any good and it makes no sense to dwell on the .1 percent.

Caution should be the order of the day because guns do kill people, even accidentally but only when someone pulls the trigger, otherwise they are nothing more than an interesting bit of metallurgy.

You can be as cautious as you want but you still have no other option than to trust the people who we put in positions of power.
You HAVE to trust a cop with a pistol and you HAVE to trust the government with much more destructive weapons, like drones.

Quote:I've lived in England where the police don't carry weapons other than a club, though they have access to an arsenal if needed and the people share a friendly and respectful attitude with their public safety personal.

I hate to burst your bitter bubble of hatred and suspicion but most people like me also people share a friendly and respectful attitude with their public safety personal.

And as I've pointed out many many times comparing Jolly on England to the USA is ridiculous and a tactic you anti Americans love to use.
Jeff scares me a little. Just right, on it all. And, from Myrtle Creek. Elected, where he could have been thumped aside by his opponents, with ease. How does that happen? I get a little worried, after watching how they groomed Kitzhaber and DeFazio.