Grants Pass Caveman statue to stay put, club says
I know what you're thinkin', "Thank God": http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ss...cart_river

[Image: trcavemangrantspass-8104jpg-06d5d60795166cad.jpg]

Excerpt: "A 25-foot statue named the Caveman will continue to greet visitors to Grants Pass.

The Cavemen, a pelt-wearing group formed in the 1920s to boost tourism, voted this week to keep the statue at the Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center near Interstate 5 instead of moving it to Grants Pass High School.

The club considered relinquishing the statue because it's down to only a few members and lacks the money for upkeep. The high school was a natural fit because its athletic teams are nicknamed the Cavemen.

But news of the potential move stirred some old Cavemen from dormancy. Club member Carl Rhodes told the Grants Pass Daily Courier that some voters hadn't been to meeting in decades."
Funny, because there is no record of a "Caveman" in Grants Pass.
I'm pretty sure it originally had to do with the proximity to The Oregon Caves.
(03-07-2013, 07:21 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure it originally had to do with the proximity to The Oregon Caves.

It is. But it's a leap, nonetheless.
If you have a nearby cave that tourists like to spend money visiting, it only seems natural there should be some cavemen that came out of it too. Laughing
(03-07-2013, 07:20 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Funny, because there is no record of a "Caveman" in Grants Pass.

I'm unaware of any documented Black Tornadoes in Medford or Comets in Central Point, either.
What about Illc? Could he qualify?
And speaking of caves...
http://www.jetsongreen.com/2013/03/energ...souri.html
[Image: cave-home-1.jpg]
(03-07-2013, 07:45 PM)gapper Wrote:
(03-07-2013, 07:20 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Funny, because there is no record of a "Caveman" in Grants Pass.

I'm unaware of any documented Black Tornadoes in Medford or Comets in Central Point, either.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the giant blackbirds to arrive.
They could move it to Sunny Valley. Some of the locals might be related.
(03-07-2013, 08:08 PM)chuck white Wrote: They could move it to Sunny Valley. Some of the locals might be related.

I saw on in West Meford just today!!!SurprisedBig Grin
mexican caveman?
I think some are talking about Blackbird now instead of Caveman.
Damn! Foiled again.
(03-07-2013, 08:35 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Damn! Foiled again.

I'm not sure if they've thought of that yet.

[Image: 2292976_f520.jpg]
And giant Paul Bunyans. Those are popular. I think every State probably has one somewhere. And giant dinosaur statues.
The caveman is so well hidden now, I didn't notice him when we moved here.
I remembered him from the 70's and thought they had done away with him.

One fine morning we were sitting in Denny's having our breakfast...as I gazed out the window I saw him!

"Honey! There he is!!!"

"Who?"

"The Grants Pass Caveman! He's still here! Look over there! See him????"

I know, corny...but he's part of Grants Pass.

The Cavemen used to dress in hides and pull a barred wagon in the parade. They would actually run up to women in the crowd, kidnap them and put them in the cage on wheels.

I guess folks in Grants Pass found much entertainment in this, but it got the kibosh a few years ago.