How to handle serious discussions?
So, here's my current dilemma...

One of the complaints I'm starting to receive more frequently is that people want a place to have serious discussion and debate without any of the off-topic chatter, name-calling, and the usual interrupting it. I think the best way to accommodate this is a re-structuring of the categories for the forum, something which I'm already in the middle of (adding a couple of new categories to the mix).

Does a dedicated category or forum for serious discussion -- no personal attacks, no off-topic posts/threadjacking, etc. -- sound like a good idea? How many of you would actually care to use something like this? Am I wasting my time doing it? Smiling
I say do it. I try not to 'hijack!', but sometimes there is a normal move off topic. It often comes back. If I catch myself, I'll bring it back. It doesn't take much to bring a topic back to it's base. Sometimes it's really lame to start a new topic just because it's natural offshoot of the conversation. But for those whose blood pressure can't handle it, they should have such a refuge.

Now. How is that going to work for you? You will probably learn to dread that thread, at least for a while till people get used to the idea. My other question, is, if you try to manhandle a specific categorie will it work? Guess you could find out. If those with issues define the boundaries, they'll be screaming 'foul' at every opportunity.
Might as well try, but have fun trying to get BBQ to stop talking about my eyes. Laughing
This a great idea!
The challenge will be monitoring the thing.
Without "self monitoring", it will slip away into the more common rants and raves we so often see.

My guess is you will need help in watching it. My guess is you don't have staff. So how will it be watched?

But, I'm hoping you give it a shot.
Created 2 distinct forums for these types of discussions; let's see how it goes. Smiling
kgasso Wrote:Created 2 distinct forums for these types of discussions; let's see how it goes. Smiling

It will go well.
We are adults.
There may be adults who need meds, or are on meds.
If necessary we can simply ignore those at the "Serious" topic place.

Thanks Kg. This is a good thing.
Oh, dear... having problems not making wise cracks. Must be good.
Tia Wrote:Oh, dear... having problems not making wise cracks. Must be good.

And your good manners, wise decision, and good nature IS good.
And that, my friends is called "positive reinforcement"....shows he's worried. Evil
Tia Wrote:And that, my friends is called "positive reinforcement"....shows he's worried. Evil

Nope.