Jackson County fishing ponds drained in fight against invasive species
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/in...cart_river

Excerpt: "Biologists are making an unconventional attempt to rid two popular Southern Oregon fishing ponds of invasive snails and plants that likely were dumped by aquarium owners.
In 2011, biologists poisoned the ponds at Jackson County Sports Park with copper sulfate. That knocked back the snail population, but it's rebounded.

Now, the idea is to drain the ponds, pick up as much of the plants as possible by hand, and let the snails dry out and die, or be eaten by critters, the Medford Mail Tribune reported. The work, though, will kill bass and other pan fish.

"This is almost, I guess, our last-ditch effort," said Rick Boatner, aquatic invasive species coordinator for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife. "This is totally experimental. Nobody's done this before."

The fear is that the Chinese mystery snails and Brazilian elodea plants could spread to the nearby Denman Wildlife Area or the Rogue River, clogging fishing areas and crowding out native species. The snails were found in 2009, the plants last year.

"A plant like Brazilian elodea is pretty treacherous," said Dan VanDyke, the state fish biologist for the Rogue District. "It can wreak havoc in warm-water ponds where people want to fish. Where I've seen it, you can't even cast."

The snails are known by scientists as Cipangopaludina chinensis. They are often found in aquariums and outdoor water features because they eat algae. They are banned in Oregon, along with hundreds of other exotic species, but they occasionally are found in pet stores.

The plant, too, is an aquarium dweller, and both likely found their way into the ponds when people dumped aquariums, VanDyke said.

"This is just an example of the problems that happen when people do that," he said.

Workers began draining water Wednesday. Once the last of the water is sucked out through a sump pump, the ponds will be left to dry into the summer months. They cover about 3 acres."
The work, though, will kill bass and other pan fish.

I wonder if they will make any attempt to relocate some of the nicer size bass?

Or if the public is invited to pick them up and have a giant fish fry.
They started yesterday. I bet they're gonna just leave them there to flop. Better hurry. Smiling

I used to see lots of catfish in those ponds too.
This is the plant they want to get rid of. I saw it last year when I was over there. It definitely takes over. I thought too myself that if I had an aquarium I would bring some homeLaughing

[Image: EgeriaDensaGob.jpg]
(03-14-2013, 03:49 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I used to see lots of catfish in those ponds too.

Yeah bullheads, they're pretty much in every pond or lake. They don't get big. I wish they would eradicate them and get some real catfish.

Quote:They started yesterday. I bet they're gonna just leave them there to flop. Better hurry. Smiling

Hell I bet they have armed guards and razor wireRazz I think it will take a long time to drain the big pond ( Hoover pond)
(03-14-2013, 03:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 03:49 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I used to see lots of catfish in those ponds too.

Yeah bullheads, they're pretty much in every pond or lake. They don't get big. I wish they would eradicate them and get some real catfish.

Quote:They started yesterday. I bet they're gonna just leave them there to flop. Better hurry. Smiling

Hell I bet they have armed guards and razor wireRazz I think it will take a long time to drain the big pond ( Hoover pond)

Curses on folks who dump stuff into our waters that are non-native and "take over". Diamond Lake seems to be open to abuse and I hope someone can devise a plan that would prevent the trash fish from taking over. I no longer fish, but like to hike around the ponds out there. It's really good winter hiking when we can't get to the higher elevations.
I picked up some of the bass and took them to another lake.
(03-14-2013, 03:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: The work, though, will kill bass and other pan fish.

I wonder if they will make any attempt to relocate some of the nicer size bass?

Or if the public is invited to pick them up and have a giant fish fry.

I read in one article that they are going to let the bass and bluegill die. There are some very large bass in there.
(03-14-2013, 03:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

???
I'm not familiar with any of the Expo ponds being called Hoover pond. The Hoover pond I am familiar with is in White City.
I'm pretty sure these ponds the article is mentioning are in White City. The article mentions the Jackson County Sports Park, which I think has the shooting range and didn't they used to talk about a racetrack out that way too? I'm pretty sure those things are on the Klamath Falls (SE?) end of those ponds.
(03-14-2013, 02:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote: http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/in...cart_river

Excerpt: "Biologists are making an unconventional attempt to rid two popular Southern Oregon fishing ponds of invasive snails and plants that likely were dumped by aquarium owners.
In 2011, biologists poisoned the ponds at Jackson County Sports Park with copper sulfate. That knocked back the snail population, but it's rebounded.

Now, the idea is to drain the ponds, pick up as much of the plants as possible by hand, and let the snails dry out and die, or be eaten by critters, the Medford Mail Tribune reported. The work, though, will kill bass and other pan fish.

"This is almost, I guess, our last-ditch effort," said Rick Boatner, aquatic invasive species coordinator for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife. "This is totally experimental. Nobody's done this before."

The fear is that the Chinese mystery snails and Brazilian elodea plants could spread to the nearby Denman Wildlife Area or the Rogue River, clogging fishing areas and crowding out native species. The snails were found in 2009, the plants last year.

"A plant like Brazilian elodea is pretty treacherous," said Dan VanDyke, the state fish biologist for the Rogue District. "It can wreak havoc in warm-water ponds where people want to fish. Where I've seen it, you can't even cast."

The snails are known by scientists as Cipangopaludina chinensis. They are often found in aquariums and outdoor water features because they eat algae. They are banned in Oregon, along with hundreds of other exotic species, but they occasionally are found in pet stores.

The plant, too, is an aquarium dweller, and both likely found their way into the ponds when people dumped aquariums, VanDyke said.

"This is just an example of the problems that happen when people do that," he said.

Workers began draining water Wednesday. Once the last of the water is sucked out through a sump pump, the ponds will be left to dry into the summer months. They cover about 3 acres."

Is that the agate lake area?
(03-14-2013, 09:17 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure these ponds the article is mentioning are in White City. The article mentions the Jackson County Sports Park, which I think has the shooting range and didn't they used to talk about a racetrack out that way too? I'm pretty sure those things are on the Klamath Falls (SE?) end of those ponds.

Oh, you're right. I misread the article this morning and my head went to the Expo ponds. I stand corrected.
This sucks regardless. I used to fish Hoover pond and all of those a lot back in the late 70's.

My apologies to TVg.
(03-14-2013, 09:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-14-2013, 02:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote: http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/in...cart_river

Is that the agate lake area?
Not as far out as Agate lake. These ponds are in a string parallel to hwy. 140.