Now THIS is an Estate Sale I'd Love to See!
http://medford.craigslist.org/gms/3684095358.html

I mean, just to pick up a print or two...maybe some shiny stuff for the china cupboard.....

Hubby HATES going to these things.
My Daddy likes that kind of stuff... Momma not so much.
(03-15-2013, 09:57 PM)Clone Wrote: <Snip>

I mean, just to pick up a print or two...maybe some shiny stuff for the china cupboard.....

Why bother?
No fishing gear, shotguns, truck parts, fuzzy dice or old Playboy magazines. These people obviously had no idea how to live.
(03-16-2013, 09:21 AM)Wonky Wrote: Why bother?
No fishing gear, shotguns, truck parts, fuzzy dice or old Playboy magazines. These people obviously had no idea how to live.

You're absolutely right...what WAS I thinking???????
They're not even admitting CHILDREN for goodness sakes! Wink
I'm working for my friend James. He's getting my business. Today, he came out about five hundred bucks ahead. From crap at the bottom of boxes and piles of rusty tools. Other's people's junk. Can you imagine that you could get fifty bucks for an old Craftsman screwdriver? And, the other thirty of them, that I rounded up, here and there, this week, will bring a tidy little pile. I grab the ones rhat don't come in a set. They're pricey. The fifty dollar ones don't come along so often. They're from "The Amber Room". And, for a buck, I have a set of stainless for four. Not a bad day of picking.
(03-15-2013, 09:57 PM)Clone Wrote: http://medford.craigslist.org/gms/3684095358.html

That's probably because your hubby is a wise man.Wink
I love to know I'm getting a crack at a walker, or a wheel chair. And, I shouldn't laugh when I say that. Hopefully I'll drop over in my boots. James is in the process of opening his eBay store, so he can sell his Shaker tote (Chest). I'm an expert on Shaker pieces, and as competent, and more, than they were at their work. I went to look at a chest of tools, in a yard sale. I forgot why I was there, until my ex mentioned it to me. And, there was the chest. I got a very nice pile of tools, in a wooden box for twenty bucks. I was so proud of my tool score, I had all the tools restored and listed for sale, when I noticed the box was a Shaker tote. Worth many, many times what the tools were worth. Dumb luck, keeps me in this existance.
Eagle Trace. Ugh! I lived up that way last year. All the repub movers and shakers in their McMansions. Probably related to Mitch McConnell.
And Rose and Garth.
(03-16-2013, 09:28 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Eagle Trace. Ugh! I lived up that way last year. All the repub movers and shakers in their McMansions. Probably related to Mitch McConnell.
And Rose and Garth.

Awww...c'mon.
It's 50% off tomorrow...I bet there will still be treasures!
It looks like a bored rich woman travelled the world shopping!
It was like Steinbeck's pearl around here, today. I got the oldest Lamiglass rod I've ever seen. With an extra wrap on the shaft for. Well, I gently unwrapped my five dollar treasure to see what for. And when the wrap came off, there was the through and through fracture. At least a five hundred buck disaster. But, I got Chad a nice Abu rod. What do you suppose they hit a fourteen year old, for a fishing license? Nothing, I hope.
Lots of treasures, no soul....
Not the droids I'm looking for
(03-16-2013, 09:34 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Lots of treasures, no soul....
Not the droids I'm looking for

I need treasures.
That blue glass swan/heron thang in the kitchen window keeps catching my eye.

[Image: sam13.jpg]
I swore never to be a dish dealer.
I'm all ecstatic about the red Enameled Griswold frying pan I found for $1.00. Small logo, for Illc's fact vault.
Almost the coolest thing ever.
(03-16-2013, 09:44 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I swore never to be a dish dealer

I don't blame you a bit.
We have a built-in china cabinet type hutch thing in the dining room.

I'm starting to notice beautiful, fragile, thin teacups with saucers.

Surely I can think of something more original to display than teacups!!!

I need a gay interior decorator!
maybe Simon will volunteer Big Grin
(03-16-2013, 09:51 PM)bbqboy Wrote: maybe Simon will volunteer Big Grin

Laughing Laughing
(03-16-2013, 09:47 PM)Clone Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 09:44 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I swore never to be a dish dealer

I don't blame you a bit.
We have a built-in china cabinet type hutch thing in the dining room.

I'm starting to notice beautiful, fragile, thin teacups with saucers.

Surely I can think of something more original to display than teacups!!!

I need a gay interior decorator!

I don't own any fine China... my China Hutch is filled with Crystal. I do have Crystal. Smiling Years ago we used it as a liquor cabinet. Big Grin Oh... and the photo with all of the Cobalt glassware... gorgeous stuff!
Estate sales like this one are too often priced at retail values. OK if you are looking for something you simply want it's fine. but not so much if you are like me and want bargains.
I don't like sales of any kind when they have been professionally organized , categorized and valued. This is common for estate sales.
It's also common to expect to wait in a LONG line to get in the door. I usually skip estate sales for this reason.
(03-17-2013, 09:07 AM)tvguy Wrote: Estate sales like this one are too often priced at retail values. OK if you are looking for something you simply want it's fine. but not so much if you are like me and want bargains.
I don't like sales of any kind when they have been professionally organized , categorized and valued. This is common for estate sales.
It's also common to expect to wait in a LONG line to get in the door. I usually skip estate sales for this reason.

I find it a little creepy to be traipsing around a dead person's home. I mean, I know they aren't there, but it's so invasive.

To spend a lifetime accumulating memories and then having strangers pick through it like vultures is a bit sad to me.

Oh well, it's just stuff.
Uncle Ned is asked to drop by and value the tools. And then, maybe, stand watch over the garage, during the sale. He's the one you want to see, standing there. Ned can't tell Snap-On, from Chen Wa.