What Draws Us Here?
There must be a common thread.
What is the one single factor that keeps us coming back here? Okay, two or three factors.
We know it's not the free pizza.
So?
It's like a bad car accident. You can't look away!
What drew me here, originally, was that I missed the camaraderie (the friends and family feeling and interaction) of www.ilovegrantspass.com when Tim was forced to shut it down. I love, love, love my forever friends that I made via ILGP.

I have stayed because I hoped that some day RVF would overcome... either that, or I'm a glutton for punishment. Embarrassed I feel like KGasso dangles that carrot every now and then that keeps my hope alive. But, alas... the hope is dwindling. Sad

Okay... let the haters come forth with their snide remarks now. Rolling Eyes
I am interested in what locals think of various issues and, like Scrapper, keep hoping "this time", it will really be more closely monitored, to keep the trolls at bay.
Can't say that part is encouraging, though.
(03-16-2013, 09:24 AM)Wonky Wrote: There must be a common thread.
What is the one single factor that keeps us coming back here? Okay, two or three factors.
So?

As a political junkie, I come here to see what interests people and try out various arguments on the opposition to see if there is some way of politically coming together for the good of the country and the world.

But mostly there is little interest for such a discourse as there seems more interest in emulating a Fox pundit, with the endless personal insults and nary a thought on the subject of returning America to some semblance of the founding fathers vision of a nation living in peace and harmony, or was that John Lennon?

As it is, I don't see anyway for the country to come together if neighbours can't even manage a decent conversation on the very important issues facing them and their children's future let along giving a shit for the rest of humanity.
I come here to practice ruling the world.
I love social interraction and debating politics.

This is the first place I check after my email! Laughing
(03-16-2013, 09:24 AM)Wonky Wrote: There must be a common thread.
So?

Mostly it's the close friends I have made here and the camaraderie.
I can tell already my plan for ruling the world needs a few tweaks in it.
(03-16-2013, 12:40 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I can tell already my plan for ruling the world needs a few tweaks in it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
(03-16-2013, 09:40 AM)Scrapper Wrote: What drew me here, originally, was that I missed the camaraderie (the friends and family feeling and interaction) of www.ilovegrantspass.com when Tim was forced to shut it down. I love, love, love my forever friends that I made via ILGP.

I have stayed because I hoped that some day RVF would overcome... either that, or I'm a glutton for punishment. Embarrassed I feel like KGasso dangles that carrot every now and then that keeps my hope alive. But, alas... the hope is dwindling. Sad

You see no improvement? Really? I do. I see changes. I also feel that you long for a different kind of forum, one that meets your expectations, but even though you came here hoping to find that, you have never really accepted the fact that those who started in this forum came here with a fundamental understanding of what it would mean. (less moderation, more free speech). So, I see real changes have happened, and I feel that you and Clone and some others have insisted on these changes and received them. You should be happy. Will it ever be what you truly want? Probably not. Do you ever feel that for some, these changes represented a loss? Does that mean anything to you? I'm not saying that is how I feel. Just pointing it out. Is that snide? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be the truth.
(03-16-2013, 12:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You see no improvement? Really? I do. I see changes. I also feel that you long for a different kind of forum, one that meets your expectations, but even though you came here hoping to find that, you have never really accepted the fact that those who started in this forum came here with a fundamental understanding of what it would mean. (less moderation, more free speech). So, I see real changes have happened, and I feel that you and Clone and some others have insisted on these changes and received them. You should be happy. Will it ever be what you truly want? Probably not. Do you ever feel that for some, these changes represented a loss? Does that mean anything to you? I'm not saying that is how I feel. Just pointing it out. Is that snide? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be the truth.

I know that you are friends with Larry, OL and Broadzilla, among others.
Yet I don't address posts to the three of you or imply you're joined at the hip.
I posted that I love social interraction and come here often.
I said nothing about changing the forum.
Nothing.
Some here absolutely refuse to move on.
(03-16-2013, 01:01 PM)Clone Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You see no improvement? Really? I do. I see changes. I also feel that you long for a different kind of forum, one that meets your expectations, but even though you came here hoping to find that, you have never really accepted the fact that those who started in this forum came here with a fundamental understanding of what it would mean. (less moderation, more free speech). So, I see real changes have happened, and I feel that you and Clone and some others have insisted on these changes and received them. You should be happy. Will it ever be what you truly want? Probably not. Do you ever feel that for some, these changes represented a loss? Does that mean anything to you? I'm not saying that is how I feel. Just pointing it out. Is that snide? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be the truth.

I know that you are friends with Larry, OL and Broadzilla, among others.
Yet I don't address posts to the three of you or imply you're joined at the hip.
I posted that I love social interraction and come here often.
I said nothing about changing the forum.
Nothing.
Some here absolutely refuse to move on.

Well, I didn't say you did. What I did say is that you were an implement of change in this forum. Like it or not. I did not imply you were joined at the hip. However, if I look at it historically and factually, you and Scrapper arrived here at around the same time. And there were some issues that came up. And lot of them were the same issues, so naturally I associate those things together.Those are facts, not implications. And I think you both were part of creating change. In other words, you were dynamic, not static. What's wrong with that? My post was to Scrapper. But the fact is, Scrapper doesn't exist in a vacuum. She interacts and so do you, and at times things are going to overlap. It's not a blanket statement, it's an observation about something specific.
(03-16-2013, 01:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You see no improvement? Really? I do. I see changes. I also feel that you long for a different kind of forum, one that meets your expectations, but even though you came here hoping to find that, you have never really accepted the fact that those who started in this forum came here with a fundamental understanding of what it would mean. (less moderation, more free speech). So, I see real changes have happened, and I feel that you and Clone and some others have insisted on these changes and received them. You should be happy. Will it ever be what you truly want? Probably not. Do you ever feel that for some, these changes represented a loss? Does that mean anything to you? I'm not saying that is how I feel. Just pointing it out. Is that snide? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be the truth.

I don't think the moderators ever wanted to moderate this site, but when you have egoists that keep mucking up the place, with their constant ''fuck you'' and incessant personal attacks instead of any dialogue you have to get out a broom once in a while or start moderating.

Telling someone to fuck you, or fuck yourself because you disagree is not considered appropriate behaviour under any circumstances except in certain circles that respect people like Dick Cheney.

It seems the only change people asked for here at RVF was, seeing no need for the escalating incivility an outright hatred no matter how much one dislikes the other person they simply asked the posters to be more civilized in their dialogue. Though I will agree it is difficult to be civil in a society that is basically unravelling.
(03-16-2013, 12:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 09:40 AM)Scrapper Wrote: What drew me here, originally, was that I missed the camaraderie (the friends and family feeling and interaction) of www.ilovegrantspass.com when Tim was forced to shut it down. I love, love, love my forever friends that I made via ILGP.

You see no improvement? Really? I do. I see changes. I also feel that you long for a different kind of forum, one that meets your expectations, but even though you came here hoping to find that, you have never really accepted the fact that those who started in this forum came here with a fundamental understanding of what it would mean. (less moderation, more free speech). So, I see real changes have happened, and I feel that you and Clone and some others have insisted on these changes and received them. You should be happy. Will it ever be what you truly want? Probably not. Do you ever feel that for some, these changes represented a loss? Does that mean anything to you? I'm not saying that is how I feel. Just pointing it out. Is that snide? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be the truth.

I never said that I didn't see any changes. Of course, there have been changes.

Perhaps you (and some others) don't understand that the owner of this forum has been trying to make changes to the forum... and certain people refuse to abide by his wishes.

The owner SAYS he's making changes (hence the carrot)... then ALLOWS the behavior to continue (hence the dwindling hope).

My opinion. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it. It's mine. Will we need to argue about THAT as well as everything else here? Dry
(03-16-2013, 02:22 PM)Leonard Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 01:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You see no improvement? Really? I do. I see changes. I also feel that you long for a different kind of forum, one that meets your expectations, but even though you came here hoping to find that, you have never really accepted the fact that those who started in this forum came here with a fundamental understanding of what it would mean. (less moderation, more free speech). So, I see real changes have happened, and I feel that you and Clone and some others have insisted on these changes and received them. You should be happy. Will it ever be what you truly want? Probably not. Do you ever feel that for some, these changes represented a loss? Does that mean anything to you? I'm not saying that is how I feel. Just pointing it out. Is that snide? It's not meant to be. It's meant to be the truth.

I don't think the moderators ever wanted to moderate this site, but when you have egoists that keep mucking up the place, with their constant ''fuck you'' and incessant personal attacks instead of any dialogue you have to get out a broom once in a while or start moderating.

Telling someone to fuck you, or fuck yourself because you disagree is not considered appropriate behaviour under any circumstances except in certain circles that respect people like Dick Cheney.

It seems the only change people asked for here at RVF was, seeing no need for the escalating incivility an outright hatred no matter how much one dislikes the other person they simply asked the posters to be more civilized in their dialogue. Though I will agree it is difficult to be civil in a society that is basically unravelling.

Thanks Leonard.
You said what I might have, if I had your good skills.
We can always hope. If we can find civility among the good folks at RVF. there is some hope that our leaders will improve. Grass roots, and all that.
(03-16-2013, 01:01 PM)Clone Wrote: Some here absolutely refuse to move on.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks!
Okay. I confess.
It IS the free piazza that keeps coming back.

What?

You don't get free piazza?

never mind.
(03-16-2013, 03:54 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:50 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I never said that I didn't see any changes. Of course, there have been changes.

Perhaps you (and some others) don't understand that the owner of this forum has been trying to make changes to the forum... and certain people refuse to abide by his wishes.

The owner SAYS he's making changes (hence the carrot)... then ALLOWS the behavior to continue (hence the dwindling hope).

My opinion. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it. It's mine. Will we need to argue about THAT as well as everything else here? Dry

I'm not arguing. I honestly think that you have been a driving force behind some of the changes. Period.
(03-16-2013, 03:57 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 01:01 PM)Clone Wrote: Some here absolutely refuse to move on.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks!

Why do you feel everything is so adversarial. I gave an honest assessment of something. I wrote it as factually as I could so it wasn't colored by any misread sentiment and yet....it is anyway.