Jackson County orders vets to report rabies shots
Now here's a good way to discourage giving dogs rabies shots: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...cart_river

Excerpt: "The Jackson County Board of Commissioners passed an ordinance Wednesday requiring veterinarians to report rabies vaccinations.

Commissioner Don Skundrick told the Mail Tribune one goal of the move is to increase licensing revenue.

If the county finds that a dog on the vaccination list is not licensed, a notice and license application will be sent to the owner.

Animal control officials estimate only 40 percent of the dogs in the county are licensed. License fees account for about a third of the budget for the county's Animal Care and Control service.

Some veterinarians spoke against the ordinance, saying it would make them look like license enforcers and send some dog owners out of the county for rabies shots."
(03-21-2013, 10:05 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Now here's a good way to discourage giving dogs rabies shots: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...cart_river

Excerpt: "The Jackson County Board of Commissioners passed an ordinance Wednesday requiring veterinarians to report rabies vaccinations.

Commissioner Don Skundrick told the Mail Tribune one goal of the move is to increase licensing revenue.

If the county finds that a dog on the vaccination list is not licensed, a notice and license application will be sent to the owner.

Animal control officials estimate only 40 percent of the dogs in the county are licensed. License fees account for about a third of the budget for the county's Animal Care and Control service.

Some veterinarians spoke against the ordinance, saying it would make them look like license enforcers and send some dog owners out of the county for rabies shots."

Now here's a good way to discourage giving dogs rabies shots:

I hadn't looked at it that way but for some people I'm sure you are right.Those people I would call idiots.
The 60% of people who don't license their dogs are idiots I suppose.
(03-21-2013, 10:12 AM)PonderThis Wrote: The 60% of people who don't license their dogs are idiots I suppose.

I guess you shouldn't suppose. That 60% we have NOW has nothing do with people who won't get rabies shots for their dog because then they would have to buy a license.

I was talking about people who will be discouraged from giving dogs rabies shots.

That why I QUOTED you saying Now here's a good way to discourage giving dogs rabies shots:

DUH
How about if I just say it's discouraging me from giving my dog a rabies shot then.
(03-21-2013, 10:23 AM)PonderThis Wrote: How about if I just say it's discouraging me from giving my dog a rabies shot then.

Then I would classify you as one of the idiots I mentioned. You can afford a license so why would you risk your dogs health to avoid paying about 20 bucks a year?
Also this is in JACKSON county, you are not affected by this.
I think sooner or later vets will be required to report ANY dog that comes to their clinic for ANY reason if it has no license.

You made a good point Ponder. This is an attempt to get more revenue, nothing else. I notice the article talked about how many dogs did not have a license but it did not say how many dogs didn't have their rabies shots.
I ran into this issue recently because someone said my county is already doing this, and when I asked my local vet about a rabies shot they seemed particularly eager to update my address, helping make me think it's true.

I'd already considered taking my dog to a Jackson County vet instead. Sure, I could give a phony name and address, but what if my dog ever bites someone, and how could I prove it was my dog that was really vaccinated?

So, I'm forced to either not do the socially correct thing of making sure my dog is current on his rabies shots, or I'm forced to register my dog, something I haven't done in 20 years. I live so far out I'm never going to receive any real animal control services that benefit me, and any interaction I have with them will only involve penalties or court costs anyway (yes, I've been through these things in my long illustrious past). At this point it's a business decision, and I choose to not pay county animal control unless I'm caught. They think they're helping society somehow with this, and I say they're making society worse.
(03-21-2013, 10:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I ran into this issue recently because someone said my county is already doing this, and when I asked my local vet about a rabies shot they seemed particularly eager to update my address, helping make me think it's true.

I'd already considered taking my dog to a Jackson County vet instead. Sure, I could give a phony name and address, but what if my dog ever bites someone, and how could I prove it was my dog that was really vaccinated?

So, I'm forced to either not do the socially correct thing of making sure my dog is current on his rabies shots, or I'm forced to register my dog, something I haven't done in 20 years. I live so far out I'm never going to receive any real animal control services that benefit me, and any interaction I have with them will only involve penalties or court costs anyway (yes, I've been through these things in my long illustrious past). At this point it's a business decision, and I choose to not pay county animal control unless I'm caught. They think they're helping society somehow with this, and I say they're making society worse.

It figures you have this take on the whole thing. I think you are going the long way around to not admit that you are a cheap ass and anti government.

You rationalize that you are special and shouldn't HAVE to pay to license your dog in a typical fashion That I've seen before. It's pathetic.
It's the same as the dimwits who refuse to vaccinate their children.
In the long run society has to pay for people like you.
OK, OK - I admit I'm a cheap ass and anti government. Smiling
I have always licensed my dogs. But then I always used to get them at the pound. My two current dogs are not licensed because I didn't go throught the pound. I have meant to do it but it just always slips my mind. They also have their rabies shots. I do support licensing dogs and think cats should be as well. It supports the pound and animal control officers which we don't have enough of.
I just don't understand why they are picking on vets. I mean, ain't it enough they went into the deserts of far away lands to protect from bad stuff? Now, they pick on them about this dog thing. What about just regular folks who never...

What?

Oh.

Never mind.
(03-21-2013, 04:24 PM)Snowlover Wrote: I have always licensed my dogs. But then I always used to get them at the pound. My two current dogs are not licensed because I didn't go throught the pound. I have meant to do it but it just always slips my mind. They also have their rabies shots. I do support licensing dogs and think cats should be as well. It supports the pound and animal control officers which we don't have enough of.

Yeah, but I'm not really into voluntarily giving all my information away. I think I probably do too much of it as it is.
(03-22-2013, 05:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-21-2013, 04:24 PM)Snowlover Wrote: I have always licensed my dogs. But then I always used to get them at the pound. My two current dogs are not licensed because I didn't go throught the pound. I have meant to do it but it just always slips my mind. They also have their rabies shots. I do support licensing dogs and think cats should be as well. It supports the pound and animal control officers which we don't have enough of.

Yeah, but I'm not really into voluntarily giving all my information away. I think I probably do too much of it as it is.

What? What are you afraid of? All of your information? what "information" would animal control need that you don't want to give up?
(03-22-2013, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What? What are you afraid of? All of your information? what "information" would animal control need that you don't want to give up?

Well, it's not that paranoid. It's mostly just a dislike of having to share my info with everyone. But I only have a cat. A very old cat.
(03-22-2013, 09:29 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Well, it's not that paranoid. It's mostly just a dislike of having to share my info with everyone. But I only have a cat. A very old cat.

For a dog license you have to share your info with "everyone"?
(03-22-2013, 09:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yep, If I know where your dog lives, I know where you live. Big Grin
(03-22-2013, 09:41 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 05:48 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Yeah, but I'm not really into voluntarily giving all my information away. I think I probably do too much of it as it is.

Yeah there's that. Thing is, I'm NOT proving anything. Not accomplishing anything. Just don't like the idea of "having to."
(03-22-2013, 09:52 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 06:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: What? What are you afraid of? All of your information? what "information" would animal control need that you don't want to give up?

Yeah there's that. Thing is, I'm NOT proving anything. Not accomplishing anything. Just don't like the idea of "having to."

I'm lost. The only "having to" part is a law that is totally necessary that all dogs be licensed and have rabies shots.
Do you really think animal control is going to share some kind of info? Why are people so freaking afraid?
(03-22-2013, 10:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 09:29 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Well, it's not that paranoid. It's mostly just a dislike of having to share my info with everyone. But I only have a cat. A very old cat.

I'm lost. The only "having to" part is a law that is totally necessary that all dogs be licensed and have rabies shots.
Do you really think animal control is going to share some kind of info? Why are people so freaking afraid?

TV, trying to explain it to you is useless. It doesn't make sense to you. I'm not afraid of THEM. (animal control) I'm just tired of sharing information with everyone in general. And yeah, it does cross over in weird ways at times, I've had it happen in other areas. Just weird ways, where I thought I had given someone info and then had it come up elswhere. Try googling yourself. It just gets to a level where you want to stop it being a recurring thing.. I don't expect you to get it or think you SHOULD get it. I just feel that I'm always being asked to share information, to everyone all the time. (read: lots of people lots of times). And I can make choices not to. This idiotic new idea is a good way to make me think it would be a favorable choice to not go to the vet for the rabies shot. I can't convince you and don't need to.
(03-22-2013, 10:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 10:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 09:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: For a dog license you have to share your info with "everyone"?

TV, trying to explain it to you is useless. It doesn't make sense to you. I'm not afraid of THEM. (animal control) I'm just tired of sharing information with everyone in general. And yeah, it does cross over in weird ways at times, I've had it happen in other areas. Just weird ways, where I thought I had given someone info and then had it come up elswhere. Try googling yourself. It just gets to a level where you want to stop it being a recurring thing.. I don't expect you to get it or think you SHOULD get it. I just feel that I'm always being asked to share information, to everyone all the time. (read: lots of people lots of times). And I can make choices not to. This idiotic new idea is a good way to make me think it would be a favorable choice to not go to the vet for the rabies shot. I can't convince you and don't need to.

I didn't want to be convinced, only to understand. I do more so now but I still think you are mostly making something out of nothing. ESPECIALLY if it means you won't get an animal a freaking rabies shot. And you never did say what this info that the county will from the vet get that THEY DON'T ALREADY HAVE.