Crime Rises in Medford
(03-26-2013, 05:31 PM)Scar Wrote:
(03-26-2013, 05:28 PM)Wonky Wrote: Back to the point:

This stuff about crime in Medford is poppy cock!
I live in Medford.
We haven't had a serious crime all afternoon.
(Granted, it's not dark yet)

PS: What is poppy cock. (I afraid to look it up)

It used to be a snack like cracker jacks, but I would definitely search it safe mode though.

Not me!
I get laughed at enough in the shower room.
I don't need to find out it's another ball buster. Laughing
(03-26-2013, 11:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Do you think the number of rapes in Medford has risen as well?

Quote:More than 12,000 adult women in Jackson County are survivors of forcible rape according to Rape in Oregon: A Report to the State (2003). The authors warn that their figures are “almost certainly an underestimate of Oregon’s rape problem,” let alone its problem with sexual violence more generally, since the statistics do not include female children and adolescents, male victims, drug or alcohol-facilitated rapes, or other kinds of traumatic sexual assaults.
http://www.jacksoncountysart.org/facts-myths.html

I bet that 12,000 number from 2003 has skyrocketed since then.

Rapes in Medford 2003 - 29
2011 - 38
31.03% increase over 8 years
(03-26-2013, 06:12 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(03-26-2013, 11:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Do you think the number of rapes in Medford has risen as well?

Quote:More than 12,000 adult women in Jackson County are survivors of forcible rape according to Rape in Oregon: A Report to the State (2003). The authors warn that their figures are “almost certainly an underestimate of Oregon’s rape problem,” let alone its problem with sexual violence more generally, since the statistics do not include female children and adolescents, male victims, drug or alcohol-facilitated rapes, or other kinds of traumatic sexual assaults.

2011 - 38

And... that's just those that were reported.
(03-26-2013, 06:31 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(03-26-2013, 06:12 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

2011 - 38

And... that's just those that were reported.

Sad indeed.
We gotta educate our boys and hope they turn things around as they grow into responsible men.
(03-26-2013, 06:47 PM)Wonky Wrote: Sad indeed.
We gotta educate our boys and hope they turn things around as they grow into responsible men.

Yes, please!

In fact, there's a petition on the White House site asking for exactly that:

Quote:Make Consent a Mandatory Part of Sex-Ed in Public Schools.

There seems to be a huge misunderstanding concerning what consent is when it comes to sex. And yet -- when discussed with teenagers -- the idea that "unless someone says 'yes', it's not consent," is easily accepted. It's not a hard conversation: Unless you get a "Yes," assume "No." Uncomfortable, maybe, but difficult? Hardly.

Please make the line between a clear "Yes" and anything else -- whether it be someone drunk, asleep, or otherwise unable to say "No" -- something schools must cover in health or sex ed.

If STI information and methods of contraception are standard fare, consent should be, too.

Anyone wanting to can sign the petition here (and share it, too): https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...s/40hYbWMj
“Nothing drives crime rates like poverty and unemployment. Kids who grow up in communities where most adults are working in at least living-wage jobs and who can envision a future that includes the possibility of a living-wage job for themselves do not tend to join gangs or get involved in gunfights on the streets. But ask the government to fund after-school programs for kids or job training programs for their parents and agencies will insist that funds cannot be found.

Meanwhile, if Kimani Gray [unarmed 16 year-old shot 11 times by NYPD while running away] had lived longer and had, hypothetically, been convicted of an actual crime, the same government would have had no problem forking out $200,000 a year to house him in a juvenile detention facility. Nor do you ever hear anyone quibbling about the millions of dollars spent each year sending huge numbers of police officers into neighborhoods like the one where Gray ended up being shot dead by two of them."

- Sadhbh Walshe
(03-29-2013, 02:18 PM)Clone Wrote: “Nothing drives crime rates like poverty and unemployment. Kids who grow up in communities where most adults are working in at least living-wage jobs and who can envision a future that includes the possibility of a living-wage job for themselves do not tend to join gangs or get involved in gunfights on the streets. But ask the government to fund after-school programs for kids or job training programs for their parents and agencies will insist that funds cannot be found.

Meanwhile, if Kimani Gray [unarmed 16 year-old shot 11 times by NYPD while running away] had lived longer and had, hypothetically, been convicted of an actual crime, the same government would have had no problem forking out $200,000 a year to house him in a juvenile detention facility. Nor do you ever hear anyone quibbling about the millions of dollars spent each year sending huge numbers of police officers into neighborhoods like the one where Gray ended up being shot dead by two of them."

- Sadhbh Walshe

He was shot seven times by two cops who fired 11 times. They said he had a gun and pointed it at them.

After then his people protested by tearing shit up and getting violent with innocent bystanders.

Mr. Browne said the group “trashed” a bodega at Church and Troy Avenues, “knocking all the fruits and vegetables from a stand.” Officers at the scene said a group of young people rampaged through a Rite Aid store on Church Avenue and tried to steal a cash register. At least two bystanders were injured; one was hit in the head with a bottle and hospitalized with a laceration to the head, said Kim Royster, a police spokeswoman. Inside the store, bottles of wine and other products were scattered about the floor.
So Clone, and TV. Each of you define for me, who is a victim, and who is a perp? I see multiple victims in the violence perpetuated afterwards. Clone? Do you see THOSE victims as acceptable collateral damage?
The thread is regarding rising crime in Medford, yes?

My post addresses the issue of kids from poor areas with parents who either don't work steadily or struggle with minimum wage jobs.

There is 'no money' for Headstart, or any other program attempting to divert the trouble-prone kinds...yet we don't whimper about spending $200,000 a year on housing one kid in the juvenile justice system.

The kid who was shot to death by the police was an example.

You don't include links for your quotes, so I'm prohibited from reading the whole story.

The most important part of the story to you is the fact the kid died while running from the police. OMG...he participated in trashing a store. He lost his life over it.
Capital punishment without a trial.

Focus on the subject, please.
(03-29-2013, 06:49 PM)Clone Wrote: The thread is regarding rising crime in Medford, yes?

My post addresses the issue of kids from poor areas with parents who either don't work steadily or struggle with minimum wage jobs.

There is 'no money' for Headstart, or any other program attempting to divert the trouble-prone kinds...yet we don't whimper about spending $200,000 a year on housing one kid in the juvenile justice system.

You don't include links for your quotes, so I'm prohibited from reading the whole story.

The most important part of the story to you is the fact the kid died while running from the police. OMG...he participated in trashing a store. He lost his life over it.

Who are you responding to?
Are the store owners victims of a crime, or not?
(03-29-2013, 06:52 PM)Larry Wrote: Are the store owners victims of a crime, or not?

Of course.

In our society, however, the only persons the state puts to death are persons who commit pre-meditated murder. Not store trashers, not even bottle throwers.

The point of my post was, however, WE DO NOTHING TO PRESENT AN ALTERNATIVE choice of lifestyle to these kids in poor neighborhoods, but spend BILLIONS incarcerating them.

Turning this around may keep Medford's crime rates from continuing upwards so quickly.

Quote:“Nothing drives crime rates like poverty and unemployment. Kids who grow up in communities where most adults are working in at least living-wage jobs and who can envision a future that includes the possibility of a living-wage job for themselves do not tend to join gangs or get involved in gunfights on the streets. But ask the government to fund after-school programs for kids or job training programs for their parents and agencies will insist that funds cannot be found."
(03-29-2013, 06:50 PM)Larry Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 06:49 PM)Clone Wrote: The thread is regarding rising crime in Medford, yes?

Who are you responding to?

I wondered the same thing.. It's the New Ponder style where you assume or guess who is talking to whom.Laughing

I guess you are referring to me Miss Clone? No I didn't post a link to the story I just posted a part that corrected the error in the part of the story you quoted.

I didn't think I needed to give you a link to the same exact article you quoted.

this...... Meanwhile, if Kimani Gray [unarmed 16 year-old shot 11 times by NYPD while running away] had lived longer and had

SOMEONE added the in the quote part in parenthesis that is incorrect was that you??. He was not shot 11 times and I haven't read anything that verifies he was unarmed. I'm not saying he was or wasn't and I'm not trying to say the cops were innocent of any wrong doing.

He was shot seven times, three bullets were in his back.

Here's a link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...ad-choices
(03-29-2013, 07:04 PM)Clone Wrote: The point of my post was, however, WE DO NOTHING TO PRESENT AN ALTERNATIVE choice of lifestyle to these kids in poor neighborhoods, but spend BILLIONS incarcerating them.

I'm in agreement with you but I don't know about the "we do nothing part" What about kids unlimited. Or White city has a very nice skate park, the community swimming pool next door is non profit and gives kids something to do.

But at any rate I have been saying for years that there should be jobs available for every single person even it's a government giveaway. Because like you quoted it costs MORE to run these people through the system and incarcerate them.
(03-29-2013, 07:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 07:04 PM)Clone Wrote: The point of my post was, however, WE DO NOTHING TO PRESENT AN ALTERNATIVE choice of lifestyle to these kids in poor neighborhoods, but spend BILLIONS incarcerating them.

I'm in agreement with you but I don't know about the "we do nothing part" What about kids unlimited. Or White city has a very nice skate park, the community swimming pool next door is non profit and gives kids something to do.

But at any rate I have been saying for years that there should be jobs available for every single person even it's a government giveaway. Because like you quoted it costs MORE to run these people through the system and incarcerate them.

Thank you, tvguy. Confused
Thank you, tvguy.
Quote:Clone Wrote: The point of my post was, however, WE DO NOTHING TO PRESENT AN ALTERNATIVE choice of lifestyle to these kids in poor neighborhoods, but spend BILLIONS incarcerating them.

TV, is right on some things, there are programs that exist for the low income like KIDS Unlimited, The YMCA, and some others. Here's one: Did you know that RCC had it's theatrical arts program slashed by a whopping 95%? So what? You might say. But the arts are a great way for kids to find healthy expression. Yes, RCC is a college, but teenagers go to college to. Legally adult teens, but teens none the less. And what about younger children who feel the call and can't find anyway within their means to express and use this? Have you heard of the Randall Theatre? No? Well, everyone should, because they are doing great things. Randall theatre is a community theatre in Medford. And by community, I mean ramshackle. But these people have passion. They run a theatre in the depths of the West Med Ghetto in a leaking warehouse on Front and 3rd. It's a "Pay what you can" theatre. It's nothing fancy. In fact it's downright seedy. It's like having someone come and do a play in your garage. You are that close.They serve homemade popcorn, cookies and soda in cans for concessions. . It is very minimal and small potatoes. But they do theatre. And they are trying to reach out to the community. They are offering acting teen and adult acting workshops to fill the gap left by RCC; they are starting an after school theatre drama workshop at McLoughlin middle school in Medford 3 days a week. In addition they are teaming with the Medford YMCA to offer a summer program for kids. This theatre does not operate on grants or funding or large endowments. It is volunteer based. It is donation based. If they can partner with someone like the Y who can handle some of the aspects like providing a building so much the better. Not all their programs are free, but they are trying hard to be a member of the community offering the best they have to offer and very affordable prices. In fact, back when my son was a wayward and angry teen he used to volunteer at the Randall's annual haunted house. I think for 3 years in a row.

I think I'll go start this as a topic in the lounge because it isn't all based on this topic. But my point is, here is a local program trying hard to do precisely what you are talking about Clone, but without the Government sponsorship. Anyone who feels that there needs to be more out there like this for youth, should support them. Right now, they are playing "The Elephant man". We've been to three different shows this year, Elephant man being the third. We intend to keep going. In fact we just about empty our wallets every time we go, just giving them whatever we have for their fundraisers.

http://www.randalltheatre.com/Events.html
They have a sense of humor at least. Part of their fundraiser is to sell patron plaques. They call it 'buying parts of the theatre'. So you can buy a bronze plaque and it will be put on a brick in the wall of theatre. Or, you can 'buy' the chairs, or even the commode. Before each show, they raffle off the "Best Seat in the House" which is actually an old, comfy, tattered loveseat placed strategically near the front. You can 'buy' that too (have a plaque put on) It's very old school and tongue in cheek in there. But hey, they put it out there for the community in the part of town that needs the most boost.