From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Cherry pie Cherry-Pie-Slice.jpg
Origin
Place of origin United States
Details
Type Pie
Main ingredient(s) Pie crust, cherries
For other uses, see Cherry pie (disambiguation).
Question book-new.svg
This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2011)
A homemade cherry pie with a lattice top

Cherry pie is a pie baked with a cherry filling. Traditionally, cherry pie is made with tart rather than sweet cherries as it is easier to control how sweet the pie eventually becomes and also eventually translates to a sharper taste. Morello cherries are one of the most common kinds of cherry used, but others, like the native black cherry, are also occasionally utilized.

Although generally eaten in North America, cherry pie is also known in other parts of the world (e.g. Donauwelle in Germany and Austria). It is a very popular treat in North America and prior to the advent of refrigeration it was most commonly eaten in midsummer (harvest of cherries in North America coincides with Canada Day on July 1 and America's Independence Day on July 4.) Cherry pie is also often eaten with whipped cream or ice cream. A common preparation tradition in the United States is to decorate the crust with ornate pastry patterns.
Popular culture

Cherry pie as a dish enjoys a strong history in the United States and is often regarded as a "great American dish". A cherry pie figures prominently in Billy Boy, a nursery rhyme. The popular song by Warrant named "Cherry Pie", from their album of the same name is regarded as one of the group's best songs. Three decades prior, Marvin & Johnny and Skip & Flip had a hit song by the same name but otherwise unrelated. In a Pepsi advert of the early 2000s, two truckers stop at a Diner and the one orders "Pie 'n a Coke" while the other orders "Pie 'n a Pepsi"; they switch beverages and the one with the Pepsi refuses to re-switch, the pie being the only thing the two truckers both like.

It is also a favourite side dish of Twin Peaks character Dale Cooper along with coffee.[citation needed]
[hide]

v
t
e

United States

Bennett, who held prominent posts in the administrations of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush, told a caller to his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday: "If you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down.

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, had called on President Bush to condemn the comments by Bennett, who was anti-drug chief in Bush's father's administration.

"What could possibly have possessed Secretary Bennett to say those words, especially at this time?" Pelosi asked. "What could he possibly have been thinking? This is what is so alarming about his words."

Bennett stood by his comments Thursday night.

"I was putting forward a hypothetical proposition. Put that forward. Examined it. And then said about it that it's morally reprehensible. To recommend abortion of an entire group of people in order to lower your crime rate is morally reprehensible. But this is what happens when you argue that the ends can justify the means," he told CNN.

"I'm not racist, and I'll put my record up against theirs," referring to Pelosi and other critics. "I've been a champion of the real civil rights issue of our times -- equal educational opportunities for kids."

"We've got to have candor and talk about these things while we reject wild hypotheses," Bennett said.

"I don't think people have the right to be angry, if they look at the whole thing. But if they get a selective part of my comment, I can see why they would be angry. If somebody thought I was advocating that, they ought to be angry. I would be angry."

"But that's not what I advocate."

Asked if he owed people an apology, Bennett replied, "I don't think I do. I think people who misrepresented my view owe me an apology."
ARE BLACKS MORE VIOLENT THAN WHITES: AN EXAMPLE OF THE AWESOME POWER OF THE TRUTH TO LIBERATE US FROM RACISM

[Image: phillymafia.jpg]

Blacks commit many more violent crimes than do whites in the US. The difference in rate is around 7 to 1. That is a huge difference. So it raises the question, are blacks more violent than whites? Read this article to find out.

The obvious answer is yes, but it is the wrong answer and a brilliant sociologist proved it. This post shows how he did it.

Most poor whites live in mixed neighborhoods represented by middle and lower class whites. In contrast, most poor blacks live in overwhelmingly poor, non-mixed neighborhoods. So this researcher analyzed census tracks to see if he could find areas where poor whites lived in an similarly unmixed poor areas. He found a substantial number of such tracts, even though most poor whites live in mixed areas. He then analyzed at crime rates in those selected tracks and discovered that the rate of violent crime was statistically similar to rates of the same crimes among blacks!

What does this mean? He disproved the race effect and that discovery is HUGE!

And there is more to it than this. We are fond of criticizing tcops as being racist because they are arresting many more blacks than whites. There is a little truth to this belief and we can we see why this is true based on this research. Cops are merely doing their jobs and because blacks commit the many more crimes, they should be arresting many more black suspects. Two, people are very quick to condemn the whole society as racist because the prisons are full of non-white prisoners. We see that this is also not, necessarily, an indicator of systemic racism. But we do see that there is a very serious racial problem underlying all of these racially unequal conditions; namely that where poverty is deep and where it is homogeneous, you’re going to have much higher rates of violent crime. The key criterion is homogeneity of class …. not race.

I describe this remarkable research below in more detail.

A number of years ago, I taught criminal justice on the university level. Anytime you talk about crime, particularly person-to-person violent crime, you can’t avoid the issue of race; with respect to prejudice and the incidence of violence.

I would ask my students, how do we explain the observation that our prisons are mostly black and brown? They would answer with a firm and certain claim of racial bias in the law.

The FBI data show that black people commit violent crimes at a rate of about 7 to 1 compared to whites. It’s a little lower for sex crimes, but it’s higher for robbery. That’s a HUGE difference. Can it be explained as a simple outcome of prejudice in the law?

The answer is a resounding NO. While there is some bias in the nature of law enforcement, it is not nearly high enough to explain these enormous differences. By and large, it is an observed fact that black people do commit violent crime at rates of about 7 to 1 over whites. Hundreds, if not thousands of studies, have sought to show prejudice in the way law is administered in the US, but the differences they show fail to explain the enormity of this difference.

So the question remains, are blacks more violent than whites? The crime data collected in the United States seems to answer that question beyond any shadow of a doubt. Black people are more violent. But is this true?

I often planned the lecture to end at this point, thus forcing the students to either mull over the question or to come to the obvious conclusion that I am a flaming racist.

Many years ago (1920s), two sociologists took a look at crime data culled from various sections of Chicago. They discovered that crime appeared to be linked with issues of distance, that areas that were isolated from active business areas and, particularly, Chicago’s Loop, had higher rates of crime. These areas tended to highly ethnic and homogeneous.

This research laid the groundwork for a much more interesting line of research that is relatively recent. Using the same data that I was presenting to my class, a sociological criminologist asked himself the same question, are black people more violent than white people. It was obvious that the actual crime data strongly supported that conclusion, but he wondered if it was really true.

If black people are more violent, then rates of violence in predominately black areas should be similar. If black people are more violent and if violence were explained by race, then blacks should be more violent everywhere they live. He discovered that they were not. Hmmmmm. Something else seemed to be going on here.

So then he looked at where violent crime was actually happening. No surprise there. It was happening in areas that were mostly or all black and that were poor.

But then he dug a little deeper. He asked himself, where do poor white people live? He made an amazing discovery. He discovered that most poor whites about (about 75%) live in areas that are mostly middle class. He looked at individual blocks using census tracts. On a given block there might be 12 middle class houses and about 3 poor households. Well, that’s intriguing.

Then he looked at where poor black people live. Did it follow the same pattern? The answer was no, it did not. About 80% of poor black people live in areas that are predominately poor and predominately black. So the pattern of residence and poverty differed markedly between whites and blacks.

Then he dug even deeper. He looked at rates of violent crime in these black areas that were most poor and black. No surprise there, they were very high. Then he took his research a step further. He collected census tracts that were predominately middle-class, but had some black population, and were ethnically mixed and then looked at the rates of violent crime in those neighborhoods. What do you think he found? He found that the rates of crime were not significantly different from those white census tracts that were used in the original comparison.

Then he took his research one step further. He collected census tracts consisting mostly of poor whites. These are not so easy to find, but they exist, because most poor whites, as we have seen, live in areas that are mostly middle class. He then looked at the rates of violent crime. What do you think he discovered? He found rates of crime that were very similar to those found in mostly poor black areas.

He showed that violence and race are not linked. Poverty and ethnic homogeneity explained violence. Race did not.

Those students who were thinking that I might be a closet racist now saw me as a kind of saint. It was this research that freed from relying on much less compelling construct of belief. We no longer needed to dig deeper in the nuances of racist law enforcement (which is still an important problem) to explain huge disparities in crime rates. We could see that this was an issue that was so much larger. It was the whole of American society that was racist, that allowed for such poverty, isolation, and rage to exist in the first place. The story goes so much further and it is one of the reasons I wrote my book Liberation from the Lie, because this topic is all about power; how the few amass it and most of us are forced to live in fear.

But the real reason I’m writing this post is to show how much more powerful and liberating the truth is over mere belief. I could have spoken from the position of a white supremacist using my beliefs and I could have used the FBI data to show these students that, indeed, blacks are more violent. The facts obviously show it. It would have been an ugly battle between my beliefs and those of my black students. Who knows. I might have created some new white supremacists as a consequence of this lecture. Religion creates just this kind of separative poison with its beliefs.

Without this research, I could challenge people with this question, and they might talk about prejudice and racism, but they could not prove it. They might use anecdotal evidence, they might flail about, they might get angry, they might even get violent, but, in the end, they would have to rely on a flimsy foundation of belief and it would be a battle between conflicting beliefs.

Facts are so much more powerful than belief. This is the truth and the truth can and will set you free.

Note

Countries like Sweden and Denmark don’t have much violent crime not because they are culturally homogeneous, but because they have relatively much lower levels of income inequality, and thus, very little concentrated poverty. This is a result of conscious policy making on their part. The situation in the US is also a result of conscious policy and the result is that the US has vast income inequality and immense areas of concentrated poverty. The UK is somewhere between those poles.

This is not something mystical. It’s about seeing what’s true. Clear vision. Simple seeing. The seeing of the racist and the classist is not clear. It is blinded by belief. It is much easier to blame a young black man than to recognize one’s choices. Perhaps that is a matter of a greater change in consciousness."

ARE BLACKS MORE VIOLENT THAN WHITES: AN EXAMPLE OF THE AWESOME POWER OF THE TRUTH TO LIBERATE US FROM RACISM

A " brilliant sociologist proved" this and they don't mention this brilliant sociologists name?

He found a substantial number of such tracts, even though most poor whites live in mixed areas. He then analyzed at crime rates in those selected tracks and discovered that the rate of violent crime was statistically similar to rates of the same crimes among blacks!

But we aren't privy to what areas these are or any other evidence that ANY of this is true?

besides that you are posting trying to prove that "BLACKS" are not more violent than whites. WHO SAID THEY WERE?

I have said OVER AND OVER again that it's a CULTURE of blacks who commit so many crimes. That's pretty much what this freaking article you posted is trying to say. I haven't head anyone say they commit all this crime JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK!
And yet this is what you always hearRolling Eyes
(03-24-2013, 03:11 PM)PonderThis Wrote: ARE BLACKS MORE VIOLENT THAN WHITES: AN EXAMPLE OF THE AWESOME POWER OF THE TRUTH TO LIBERATE US FROM RACISM

A number of years ago, I taught criminal justice on the university level. Anytime you talk about crime, particularly person-to-person violent crime, you can’t avoid the issue of race; with respect to prejudice and the incidence of violence.

I would ask my students, how do we explain the observation that our prisons are mostly black and brown? They would answer with a firm and certain claim of racial bias in the law.

Well Ponder, old chum, you could hardly ask a more inflammatory heading. Sure, the body of the thing goes into detail suggesting we have to be careful about...
Well, this is carefully written and kind of cagey. It weaves all over the place in defense of his straw man. I don't like it. But I'm not smart enough to really understand why.

I'm going to assume this is a man.

Who is he? I can't find a link or the authors name.

Taught ON university level? He might have said where to give it some cred.

I read it twice. I know what it says, but somehow I can't help but feel the real message is between the lines. Maybe I'm paranoid. More likely I'm not bright enough to understand it. But if it smells like fish...

I hope others might post and give their two cents. Maybe that will help me.

Whatever. Do as you will. (You will). I would not have posted this. Fishy. Wink
I would like to introduce the thought that there is opportunity to be had up in the Idaho panhandle.

It's where retired LAPD officers, such as Mark Fuhrman, seem to love buying land for their retirement homesteads.

They're certainly well-armed and any person of color would feel extremely intimidated there.

It's one of the last great white holdouts, along with parts of Wyoming and Montana.

See...Oregon is across an invisible line from California and a lot of Californians are on the move North.

Better clear out now before your property values go down because of the influx!
(03-24-2013, 04:00 PM)Clone Wrote: I would like to introduce the thought that there is opportunity to be had up in the Idaho panhandle.

It's where retired LAPD officers, such as Mark Fuhrman, seem to love buying land for their retirement homesteads.

They're certainly well-armed and any person of color would feel extremely intimidated there.

It's one of the last great white holdouts, along with parts of Wyoming and Montana.

See...Oregon is across an invisible line from California and a lot of Californians are on the move North.

Although most former Los Angeles residents here do not believe Fuhrman is racist, they are well aware of the allegations that he hates blacks. So they instinctively slap down the whispers that northern Idaho might be becoming a haven for white separatists.

Few minorities live in the panhandle. And a knot of white supremacists, known as the Aryan Nations, operate from the town of Hayden Lake, just north of Coeur d'Alene.

But former Los Angeles police officers "not only have no use for the Aryans, we think they're a bunch of crackpots," said Terrance Hannon, a 20-year LAPD veteran now retiring from law practice in Coeur d'Alene.

"We just laugh at people's assertions that (Fuhrman) is moving up here because there is skinhead compound in Hayden Lake," agreed James Simmerman, who spent seven years with the California Highway Patrol and now polices the 11,000 residents of Post Falls, Idaho.

"We frankly don't have a large minority population . . . and we just don't have the problems associated with racism," Simmerman said.

Far from it, George Willoth agreed. "I encourage some of my fellow officers who are minorities to come up here and visit," he said, gesturing at the mountains framing Cougar Gulch Road. "I know they'd love it."
Broadzilla wins. Well, not winning so much as alerting us to the facts.

We have crime in Medford.

Now:
The Civil was was fought to free the slaves.
Men are all about sex.
It rains too much in Oregon.
No one likes to get beat up.
Fat people are happy people.

All of the above may be true, to one extent or the other. But we we fought the Civil War for a variety of reasons and it's too simple to believe it was fought only to free the slaves.

Men are all about sex. Some men. Sometimes. Some men, never.

It rains too much in PARTS of Oregon.

It's sick, but some people do like to get beat.

Some fat people are happy. Many are not.

We have too much crime in Medford. And much of it is located in predictable places. Poverty is a bitch. We are in the clutches of an unemployment disaster like none since the Great Depression. As mentioned, drug use is rampant, and may very well have to do with those things listed above.

We have too much crime in Medford. Some places in town are pretty damn secure. For now at least.

But, the fact is, as BZ tells us, the crime rate is up.
It is.
Still...
(03-24-2013, 03:48 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-24-2013, 03:11 PM)PonderThis Wrote: ARE BLACKS MORE VIOLENT THAN WHITES: AN EXAMPLE OF THE AWESOME POWER OF THE TRUTH TO LIBERATE US FROM RACISM

Well Ponder, old chum, you could hardly ask a more inflammatory heading. Sure, the body of the thing goes into detail suggesting we have to be careful about...
Well, this is carefully written and kind of cagey. It weaves all over the place in defense of his straw man. I don't like it. But I'm not smart enough to really understand why.

I read it twice. I know what it says, but somehow I can't help but feel the real message is between the lines. Maybe I'm paranoid. More likely I'm not bright enough to understand it. But if it smells like fish...

I'm not sure if I would have now or not either. Here's the link I neglected to post: http://liberationfromthelie.com/2012/04/...om-racism/
(03-24-2013, 04:00 PM)Clone Wrote: I would like to introduce the thought that there is opportunity to be had up in the Idaho panhandle.

I don't think the property value is of any concern since they tend to occupy the the run down areas and trailer parks. The big concern remains their way above average criminal activity.
I could be wrong, but I think Clone was actually being snide toward those that are complaining about the rise in crime and the influx of the crime-doers...basically telling us, "if you don't like it, feel free to leave".
(03-24-2013, 04:45 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-24-2013, 03:48 PM)Wonky Wrote:

I'm not sure if I would have now or not either. Here's the link I neglected to post: http://liberationfromthelie.com/2012/04/...om-racism/

Some of these writers are slick, aren't they!
Kind of like looking at divorce papers.
This guy is all over the place, like puppy poop. But I like "some" of his thoughts. and, this issue is so very highly charged! All I know is that it's, generally speaking, easier to be a while guy than a black guy. Unless you are Denzel Washington maybe.
Whatever, this is the kind of stuff we can kick around and in doing so hope to learn something from one another.
Again, I wish the guy had used a different headline and omitted posting the photo's.
A difficult thing to have to deal with, and yet we want to be part of the solution and not the problem. (I steal too many lines for the "summer of Love". Smiling
(03-24-2013, 08:35 PM)broadzilla Wrote: I could be wrong, but I think Clone was actually being snide toward those that are complaining about the rise in crime and the influx of the crime-doers...basically telling us, "if you don't like it, feel free to leave".

snide
Adjective
1.Derogatory or mocking in an indirect way: "snide remarks".
2.(of a person) Devious and underhanded.

i wasn't being indirect or devious and underhanded.
Since some of you are SO unhappy about the influx of persons of color, you should look elsewhere to live. i put it straight up!

As much as you would like, you can't build barricades and prevent them from coming.....
Sorry, it should have read SNARKY. Smiling

I don't care if people are purple, yellow, green or otherwise...I don't like them bringing their criminal ways into the area.

It just so happens that the influx and increase in crime is mostly by those of other ethnicities. That doesn't make me a racist.
(03-24-2013, 04:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: "We frankly don't have a large minority population . . . and we just don't have the problems associated with racism," Simmerman said.

Far from it, George Willoth agreed. "I encourage some of my fellow officers who are minorities to come up here and visit," he said, gesturing at the mountains framing Cougar Gulch Road. "I know they'd love it."

Right.
They pass it off to skinheads. Laughing
But notice, they only encourage the good ni**ers to come up and VISIT.
Heaven help them if they want to MOvE IN. There goes the neighborhood!
So they should be inviting bad ones?
No, what this area needs is more poor white trash.
No...what it needs is more law abiding citizens, of whatever ethnicity.
What I'd really prefer is, living among people that don't need laws making them do the right things.
(03-24-2013, 09:13 PM)PonderThis Wrote: What I'd really prefer is, living among people that don't need laws making them do the right things.

Doesn't everybody? No? Well, I do.