I'm still cold
I have been talking about participating in the Energy Trust of Oregon weatherization improvements program for some time now. I finally whet to the website, clicked on local contractors that work with the Energy trust and I am sorta ready to begin.

Has anyone had any experience with local contractors that do this king of work? Also, what was your experience with this program? I am thinking that all I want to do is replace windows, insulate and seal around doors and any other place cold air gets in.
Do you have a vapor barrier under your house? You should if you don't. I think underfloor insulation makes a lot of difference so far as comfort goes too (although, since heat rises, they say it doesn't save a huge amount of energy.)

(Assuming you've already done the easy part, extra insulation in the attic.)
(03-24-2013, 09:17 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Do you have a vapor barrier under your house? You should if you don't. I think underfloor insulation makes a lot of difference so far as comfort goes too (although, since heat rises, they say it doesn't save a huge amount of energy.)

(Assuming you've already done the easy part, extra insulation in the attic.)
I've done nothing. I am thinking about having a weatherization contractor perform tests to determine where the house has air leaks and then proceed from there.
Diamond in GP has insulation on sale right now, 40 sq ft R13.

I believe I paid $11.20 a roll
I've seen blown-in insulation be cheaper in the past. I'd wonder about using cellulose too.

Note to Cletus: I think they'll be looking for about 12" worth of insulation in your attic, as a basic first step in our climate (R-40 I think).
A rocket stove might help.
I don't think his insurance company or building codes either one are going to like that choice. I'm sort of intrigued with it myself though. Smiling
(03-24-2013, 10:04 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't think his insurance company or building codes either one are going to like that choice. I'm sort of intrigued with it myself though. Smiling

The one I'm intrigued with is this one
[Image: rocket-mass-heater-warm.gif]

http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp
Go to Lowes, buy their cellulose blow in insulation and they will let you use their machine to blow it in the attic for free.

The cellulose stuff made mostly from recycled materials is even better than fiberglass. 12 in will give you an R-38 rating and that will be on top of whatever you already have.

I did this and paid my neighbor 20 bucks an hour to crawl through my attic while I tore open bags and fed the machineBig Grin

This will make a HUGE difference Cletus, it did at my house.
(03-24-2013, 10:12 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-24-2013, 10:04 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't think his insurance company or building codes either one are going to like that choice. I'm sort of intrigued with it myself though. Smiling

I've tried to encourage some greenhouse owners to put an in-ground one in, so you could walk up to it and easily insert 6 or 8' long lengths of tree in it (maybe with the tractor). Never having to split firewood again seems like a nice proposition, and seems like it would make wood heat cheap and easy. Nobody I know has tried it yet though, I must not be persuasive enough.
I have a friend that just took advantage of this program. He lives in a old house and is very pleased with the results. He was amazed on how they check for leaks. The company that did the work for him is Southern Oregon Insulation and he was happy with their work. If your interested the number is 541-476-1101.
(03-24-2013, 10:38 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: I have a friend that just took advantage of this program. He lives in a old house and is very pleased with the results. He was amazed on how they check for leaks. The company that did the work for him is Southern Oregon Insulation and he was happy with their work. If your interested the number is 541-476-1101.

The put a big ass fan in your door and suck air out of your house. Then they use smoke to see the places (air leaks) where outside air enters.

I don't know how much this costs but I wouldn't do a damn thing until I insulated the HELL out of my attic. And or if you don't have double pane windows.
I guess with these energy trust programs you pay back what you owe every month with no or low interest? But still the less you spend the better, right?
(03-24-2013, 10:12 AM)chuck white Wrote:

Some damn interesting stuff there.
(03-24-2013, 10:23 AM)tvguy Wrote: Go to Lowes, buy their cellulose blow in insulation and they will let you use their machine to blow it in the attic for free.

The cellulose stuff made mostly from recycled materials is even better than fiberglass. 12 in will give you an R-38 rating and that will be on top of whatever you already have.

I did this and paid my neighbor 20 bucks an hour to crawl through my attic while I tore open bags and fed the machineBig Grin

This will make a HUGE difference Cletus, it did at my house.

I agree. I added about 12" to my house over 20 years ago, and it has been the biggest difference than anything else I have done.
(03-24-2013, 10:45 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-24-2013, 10:38 AM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: I have a friend that just took advantage of this program. He lives in a old house and is very pleased with the results. He was amazed on how they check for leaks. The company that did the work for him is Southern Oregon Insulation and he was happy with their work. If your interested the number is 541-476-1101.

The put a big ass fan in your door and suck air out of your house. Then they use smoke to see the places (air leaks) where outside air enters.

I don't know how much this costs but I wouldn't do a damn thing until I insulated the HELL out of my attic. And or if you don't have double pane windows.
I guess with these energy trust programs you pay back what you owe every month with no or low interest? But still the less you spend the better, right?

I'm not sure, but I think he got $1500 back on this program. I think they'll give you a free bid.
Just in case anyone qualifies for Low Income Weatherization:

http://www.oregon.gov/OHCS/Pages/SOS_Low...regon.aspx

An older mobile we looked at had received this help. They put in vinyl double-pane windows, added insulation, gave the roof a new coat and did a new coat on the underneath.

For free.
(03-24-2013, 10:58 AM)Clone Wrote: Just in case anyone qualifies for Low Income Weatherization:

http://www.oregon.gov/OHCS/Pages/SOS_Low...regon.aspx

An older mobile we looked at had received this help. They put in vinyl double-pane windows, added insulation, gave the roof a new coat and did a new coat on the underneath.

For free.

Since Cletus spends more time on tropical islands than the natives and drinks 20 thousand dollars worth of imported beer a year he might not qualify for thisRazz

And Yes Clone I know you didn't mean Cletus would qualifySmiling
Cletus can only afford those trips because he already owns the timeshare, and he drives a beater car. I know this because he told me. Smiling

I think maybe his wife has a good job too. Laughing
I'd pack the attic, and seal up reasonably well. There's a point where the returns start to diminish. A coat of vapor barrier paint on the enterior, next time you paint. I'd quit there.
When horse manure decomposes, it gives off heat. I have heard of people packing it under their house to generate warm floors.