Forest Service to modify appeals process for citizens to challenge agency decisions
Now, in order to appeal a forest service decision, we're going to have to appeal it in advance of their decision, whatever that decision is. They're tired of having to deal with us after they've already made decisions, so from now on we're to predict in advance what they're going to decide, then appeal that first. Does this sound fishy to anyone else but me? http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/in...cart_river

Excerpt: "The U.S. Forest Service is proposing changes to the process people use to challenge timber sales and other agency decisions.

New guidelines expected to be unveiled later this week would require anyone interested in challenging agency actions to fully take part in the public review process and file formal objections before agency administrators make final policy decisions, according to a story published Monday in the Lewiston Tribune.

The modified objection procedure is designed to make agency officials aware of potential problems earlier.

"The advantage we hope to gain is we will have more active involvement up front and more information for decision-makers to arrive at a more agreeable decision rather than the old way where we make a decision and then people appeal," said Phil Sammon, a Forest Service spokesman at Missoula, Mont.

Sammon compared the process to the agency's recent emphasis on collaboration with citizen groups to develop strategy in timber harvests, trail use and other policy decisions. That process relies on diverse interests working together and agreeing on a direction before projects are formalized.

But critics worry the changes will force them to predict the future. Instead of filing an appeal based on a specific decision, they will have to anticipate a wide range of possible final decisions the agency might make.

"Whether you are a timber industry advocate or a strict preservationist, you are going to need to break out your crystal ball to determine what the Forest Service is going to do before they do it," said Jonathan Oppenheimer of the Idaho Conservation League.

That has the possibility of spawning more objections and taking more time than the current system, said Gary Macfarlane of the Moscow-based Friends of the Clearwater.

"Right now appeals are done after a decision is made so both parties know what the decision is; objections and concerns can be more pointed, more boiled down," he said. "It's going to force people who object to do the kitchen-sink model, to throw as many concerns out there as possible."

Those who do not participate in the public involvement and objection process won't have standing to file lawsuits, raising the stakes and incentive for filing a broad range of objections, environmentalists say.

The change was dictated by a rider in last year's Consolidated Appropriations Act and based on the objection process outlined by the Health Forest Restoration Act of 2003. But that law covers only some forest thinning projects related to efforts to reduce fire danger.

In July, the agency issued a draft of its new rule. It expects to unveil a final rule Tuesday and publish it on the Federal Register on Wednesday.

For Tom Partin, executive director of the American Forest Resource Council in Portland, Ore., the new process is welcome and long overdue. He believes the new process will compel people who oppose things like timber sales to come forward with their objections rather than holding back and saving rhetorical ammo for court.

"They have to put their dislikes in up front and try to work it out in the resolution process," he said."
They're asking people to voice their concerns during the public meeting phase, to actually get involved in the process. This seems much more efficient than not participating in the process, and then bitching when you don't like the result.
How can you know what the result is going to be until they announce it? It's expecting an awful lot from the public to plan for every conceivable decision the forest service might make and then figure out a potential challenge for every one of them. It's like they're expecting us to have ESP for what a government agency might decide.

Thanks for the heads up on the topic title, I'll see if I can still fix it.
They are one eyed jacks. In bed with the timbermen, who will employ them, when they exit our? service. This is one more Rogue Gang. Forestry graduates, from Umpqua.
Sounds like new world order.
(03-25-2013, 06:15 PM)PonderThis Wrote: How can you know what the result is going to be until they announce it? It's expecting an awful lot from the public to plan for every conceivable decision the forest service might make and then figure out a potential challenge for every one of them. It's like they're expecting us to have ESP for what a government agency might decide.

Thanks for the heads up on the topic title, I'll see if I can still fix it.

I dunno that they're really asking people to appeal prior to the decision, although the article certainly presents it that way. It seems to me, they want people to stop bitching about that the results when they didn't bother to participate the discussion. I could be wrong, I guess we'll see how this one plays out, huh?
Their public meetings are just for show. As phony as Rendata's.
I say we go right down and appeal any declensions they haven't made yet.