Litterbug Litterbug
(03-31-2013, 12:40 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 12:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 12:20 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Douglas County lets you dump for free, as long as you can provide proof of residency. Tires still cost you money though, along with building materials and some other things.

Is it really free? Someone once told me there is NO free lunch. I'm guessing the county runs the dump? And you pay for it with taxes?

Of course it's not really "free", our county taxes pay for it. But when was the last time your county ever did something free for you? Smiling

Well lets see. They give me free mosquito fish for my pond. And they come and drive their little four wheeler and spray for mosquitoes when I ask.

Animal control will come if I call, so will a Sheriff. Code enforcement people will enforce codes if I call.

Quote:(I've read there's only one other county in the country that has "free" dumping for residents. I'm not sure I can make a case that's there's less garbage in Douglas County as a result or not either.)

It's hard to imagine that as many people dump stuff on the side of a road when it's free to go to a dump.
(03-31-2013, 12:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: Animal control will come if I call, so will a Sheriff. Code enforcement people will enforce codes if I call.

Well, I don't consider it a benefit to ever hear from any of those people, personally. Laughing

(03-31-2013, 12:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's hard to imagine that as many people dump stuff on the side of a road when it's free to go to a dump.

Well, tires still cost money (I think $5 apiece), and the dumps don't take appliances or electronics, so those have to go someplace else. That might make up for a lot of what you see in impromptu dumping. You have to have a drivers license and vehicle registration in your name at your Douglas County address in order to get that free dumping too, and I suppose those might be insurmountable obstacles for some.
(03-31-2013, 01:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 12:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: Animal control will come if I call, so will a Sheriff. Code enforcement people will enforce codes if I call.

Well, I don't consider it a benefit to ever hear from any of those people, personally. Laughing

(03-31-2013, 12:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's hard to imagine that as many people dump stuff on the side of a road when it's free to go to a dump.

Well, tires still cost money (I think $5 apiece), and the dumps don't take appliances or electronics, so those have to go someplace else. That might make up for a lot of what you see in impromptu dumping. You have to have a drivers license and vehicle registration in your name at your Douglas County address in order to get that free dumping too, and I suppose those might be insurmountable obstacles for some.

I understand. You just explained why SOME people still dump their trash on the side of the road.
But nevertheless I seems impossible to me that Douglass county wouldn't have less of that when it's free to go to the dump.
You sure like to divide things down into the tiniest minutia, don't you? I didn't say there wasn't less trash either. Smiling And besides, I maybe was going by what's on peoples front porches as much as on the roadsides. Laughing Actually, citizen volunteers take care of the section of road I'm on. I've often done it myself in the past.
(03-31-2013, 01:46 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You sure like to divide things down into the tiniest minutia, don't you?

No. You said you weren't sure there's less garbage tossed in Douglas County because the dump was free

And I said.......... It's hard to imagine that as many people dump stuff on the side of a road when it's free to go to a dump.

And then you pointed out things that still cost like tires or appliances or electronics that people would toss on the roadside and you mentioned insurmountable obstacles for some.

And I said it seems impossible to me that with a free dump there wouldn't be less trash illegally dumped. Which was a conclusion you didn't agree with even one time. Unless I missed it. So I don't see any minutia tiny or otherwise.Smiling