There goes the Forum....
(03-31-2013, 07:55 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 07:43 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I don't want to be an asshole but I don't find anything about this forum to be of particular importance. In fact, if we would all lighten up a little and see this place for what it really is, maybe the atmosphere around here wouldn't get so polluted... and kgasso wouldn't need to hire any babysitters.

As a fellow asshole (we are trying to improve the tone around here so I'll start referring to my anus) I want to see this place for what it really is. What is it? This place may be more important to some and not so important to others. I wonder if "lighten up" would make the atmosphere less polluted...we would most likely start brawling about lack of serious subjects or lousy jokes.

You are "spot on" in that we each see this place in a different light. Some want this to be a civilized venue for adult discourse. I'm saying that it is not going to happen. Moderated or not... it is just an Internet forum, not the US Congress. I see no reason to try to bend it to anyone's particular vision. But for those of you that want to give it a try, have at it.
(03-31-2013, 08:02 AM)Leonard Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 07:43 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I don't want to be an asshole but I don't find anything about this forum to be of particular importance. In fact, if we would all lighten up a little and see this place for what it really is, maybe the atmosphere around here wouldn't get so polluted... and kgasso wouldn't need to hire any babysitters.

You may not want to be an asshole but.............................lightening up and accepting insult after insult is like a bad case of the runs, through appropriate for the out house it it is not acceptable in the kitchen.

As my dear old Granny used to say, ''some people are like food poisoning, you have to let them run their course''. She also said, ''if you don't want to spend the evening on he toilet, do not associate with tainted food in the first place''.
Leonard, your dear old granny sure did talk a lot.Wink

I find myself in agreement with your's and GoComet's points. I believe moderation in the form of removing direct mean spirited insults would help this place, but I also agree that Internet forums by their vary nature are places people come to post their views and challenge the views of others with who they disagree. So, we are probably not going to have harmony, but we could have more civility. That's my opinion anyway.
Most people listen (read) with their focus being on how they will respond to maintain or promote their point of view, rather than really thinking through the message being presented.

Be the change you seek.

Does "Lighten up" mean the whiners stop whining or the jerks and trolls stop poking at the whiners?Unsure
(03-31-2013, 10:14 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

Does "Lighten up" mean the whiners stop whining or the jerks and trolls stop poking at the whiners?Unsure

For me it means that neither of the above is going to happen. You can accept it or beat your head against the wall trying to turn it into what you want.

Because of the built in "ignore" feature, this forum is exactly what I want right now. Every time it becomes something other than that, I log off and go about my 'real life' business.
So...I am female and entitled to change my mind. Smiling Wink
(04-01-2013, 10:23 AM)broadzilla Wrote: So...I am female and entitled to change my mind. Smiling Wink

No, you are and adult, bound by the same code of conduct as men. We are so way past all that "cute little female stuff".
Unless of course, you want to get your ass back in the kitchen, shut your mouth until your man gives you the okay, and make damn sure you keep the beer cold.
(04-01-2013, 12:30 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(04-01-2013, 10:23 AM)broadzilla Wrote: So...I am female and entitled to change my mind. Smiling Wink

No, you are and adult, bound by the same code of conduct as men. We are so way past all that "cute little female stuff".
Unless of course, you want to get your ass back in the kitchen, shut your mouth until your man gives you the okay, and make damn sure you keep the beer cold.

Ouch, no smile , no wink?
(04-01-2013, 01:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

He was channeling Simon Peter. I felt it in the ether.
(04-01-2013, 01:56 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-01-2013, 01:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

He was channeling Simon Peter. I felt it in the ether.

You are so right TVg. I should have softened that comment a bit with a smile or two. But I do feel strongly about that. I know BZ is a smart, strong woman, and was really directing my comment at what she said rather than her. I should have made that clear.

clete!
Channeling Simon Peter? Feel THIS in the ether! Laughing
My God eight pages. I've been here a long time and to honest didn't know/wasn't aware there is a problem. I find it odd indeed. Get rid of the report button if it is an issue, I've never used but I wear have my big boy pants. I don't even know why it's there. They banned Lady Chatterley's Lover for years over a report button. Words on a page.
Really I'm not in denial but this forum's death should be dictated by usage. You'all are turning this into Jones town.
When people use pseudonyms you disagree with the idea, not the person. Then you have a picnic together at Tolo and it becomes personal? Wink