Tenant's May Have to Buy Renter's Insurance
I must not completely understand renter's insurance...how does it protect the landord?

================

SALEM, Ore. — A bill working it’s way through the Oregon legislature will change some rules for landlords.

If passed, landlords would be able to require tenants to purchase renters insurance. On the other hand, it would also restrict criminal background checks which landlords can use when deciding if individuals can live in their building.
Landlords would still be able to use drug crimes, assaults and financial crimes in the consideration but they wouldn’t be able to use citations against homeless individuals.

While many landlords support the bill, not all do. The Oregon Rental Housing Association in Eugene worked to push this bill forward.

http://www.kdrv.com/tenants-may-need-renters-insurance/
Tenants. Jesus. It's about time we addressed the problems, with this class of people.
(03-29-2013, 01:47 PM)Clone Wrote: I must not completely understand renter's insurance...how does it protect the landord?

================

SALEM, Ore. — A bill working it’s way through the Oregon legislature will change some rules for landlords.

If passed, landlords would be able to require tenants to purchase renters insurance. On the other hand, it would also restrict criminal background checks which landlords can use when deciding if individuals can live in their building.
Landlords would still be able to use drug crimes, assaults and financial crimes in the consideration but they wouldn’t be able to use citations against homeless individuals.

While many landlords support the bill, not all do. The Oregon Rental Housing Association in Eugene worked to push this bill forward.

http://www.kdrv.com/tenants-may-need-renters-insurance/
It is to cover the liability in case someone gets hurt on the property. Here is a more in depth article.
http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porch/in...d_let.html
(03-29-2013, 02:50 PM)blondemom Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 01:47 PM)Clone Wrote: I must not completely understand renter's insurance...how does it protect the landord?
It is to cover the liability in case someone gets hurt on the property. Here is a more in depth article.

Oh, okay! Thanks blondemom! I was thinking renter's insurance was for tenant's belongings, I wasn't thinking about liability.

Hmmm...now I have to form an opinion...I can see both sides.
(03-29-2013, 02:58 PM)Clone Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 02:50 PM)blondemom Wrote:

Oh, okay! Thanks blondemom! I was thinking renter's insurance was for tenant's belongings, I wasn't thinking about liability.

Hmmm...now I have to form an opinion...I can see both sides.

It usually is, but I guess it is also for liability in case someone gets hurt on the property. I always had it when we rented but I never paid attention to that portion of it. But you know if someone was doing work on the property for the landlord I would make sure that their insurance covered the worker. I think there would be a lot of gray area of who's insurance would cover what.
I just wrote a lease where I required the tenant to pay for $500,000 worth of liability protection. I don't know if that was really enough or not, I just picked the figure out of the air.
(03-29-2013, 03:02 PM)blondemom Wrote: It usually is, but I guess it is also for liability in case someone gets hurt on the property. I always had it when we rented but I never paid attention to that portion of it. But you know if someone was doing work on the property for the landlord I would make sure that their insurance covered the worker. I think there would be a lot of gray area of who's insurance would cover what.

That's what I was thinking about...
If a guest were to fall through the window I would see no problem with my tenant's insurance covering it.
If a roofer, hired by the landlord, fell off?
That's on the landlord's plate.
(03-29-2013, 03:05 PM)Clone Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 03:02 PM)blondemom Wrote: It usually is, but I guess it is also for liability in case someone gets hurt on the property. I always had it when we rented but I never paid attention to that portion of it. But you know if someone was doing work on the property for the landlord I would make sure that their insurance covered the worker. I think there would be a lot of gray area of who's insurance would cover what.

If a guest were to fall through the window I would see no problem with my tenant's insurance covering it.

See I agree with you there. You have a dog and it bites someone you are responsible for it not the landlord. Like I said there might be some gray area's
(03-29-2013, 03:12 PM)blondemom Wrote:
(03-29-2013, 03:05 PM)Clone Wrote:

See I agree with you there. You have a dog and it bites someone you are responsible for it not the landlord. Like I said there might be some gray area's

I read it all; every single word.

Boils down to this: If you keep an alligator in the bathtub and it eats a visiting church-lady, you have to pay the landlord the cost of clean up.
Note: Billy Ray Hinkledown, Orlando, FL, sells gators he quarantines do their own clean up. You just can't be there when they do it. Billy Ray also sells a special lotion that will make your lady's skin feel just like a gators. For when you feel like wrestlin'. Billy Ray says if she eats you he can't be blamed. Either way.

(Yeah, I know this is a post without any redeeming content. Sue me. I had to do something while I was waiting for the Castor Oil to start working)

Later edit: Above, I said "sells gators he quarantines do their..." Now of course I didn't mean he would "isolate them, or whatever". I meant he would stand be behind them, promise you will be happy, and like that. I just can't spell quarntee.
I think a better gift, to the insurance industry, would be pay at the pump car insurance.