Good news for fishers, campers, and Mt. Ashland Assoc.
Deal made to manage lake resort
The Mt. Ashland Association will operate restaurant, store

March 30, 2013
Mark Freeman
By Mark Freeman
Mail Tribune

The Mt. Ashland Association will take over part of the Howard Prairie Resort operation under a tentative contract with Jackson County that will help open the resort as usual next month.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../303300318
(03-30-2013, 01:00 PM)gapper Wrote: Deal made to manage lake resort

March 30, 2013
Mark Freeman
By Mark Freeman
Mail Tribune

The Mt. Ashland Association will take over part of the Howard Prairie Resort operation under a tentative contract with Jackson County that will help open the resort as usual next month.

I wonder if they will continue the price gouging that was common with the people who ran the joint beforeRazz

I remember at least 10 years ago. My friend gave his kid 5 bucks and said go to the store and get some green power bait with the silver speckles.
His kid came back a little while later and said he needed a quarter moreLaughingLaughing
The Mt. Ashland Assn. isn't scared of big numbers.
Is Howard Prairie the resort that was selling the little "mobile" cabins that weren't really mobile and seemed to have annoyed quite a few of the local residents?
Fish could do for our community, what logging never can. And, fish are as easy to throw money at, as loggers.
(03-31-2013, 08:00 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Is Howard Prairie the resort that was selling the little "mobile" cabins that weren't really mobile and seemed to have annoyed quite a few of the local residents?

No, that is at Hyatt Lake next door.
(03-30-2013, 02:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-30-2013, 01:00 PM)gapper Wrote: Deal made to manage lake resort

March 30, 2013
Mark Freeman
By Mark Freeman
Mail Tribune

I wonder if they will continue the price gouging that was common with the people who ran the joint beforeRazz

I remember at least 10 years ago. My friend gave his kid 5 bucks and said go to the store and get some green power bait with the silver speckles.
His kid came back a little while later and said he needed a quarter moreLaughingLaughing

How do you know they were gouging? Do you know their cost factor and margin? Do you know their overall costs, being well out of the way as they are, to know what margin they needed to operate at to be profitable? Not saying they weren't gouging, just asking legitimate questions wondering if you can back your assumption. My experience tells me they likely pay more for their Power Bait than the large stores in the valley and I am pretty sure their overall overhead is much greater, plus they are only open a limited amount of time. Lots of factors enter into retail pricing.
Of course, some wouldn't dare let business realities get in the way of making a negative judgment about an entity. I get that, too.
How do we know what they pay their board of directors, and their employees? I'd like those answers, before I comment on them taking over another one of Oregon's little franchises. Mt. Ashland got it's legs from an economic development grant. For me, it's hard to see how skiing qualifies as a non-profit endeaver, in the first place. And I suspect it's not really a non-profit endeaver, at all.
Ill,

I know a person on their board of directors and it is a volunteer position, as board positions are on all non-profits that I am aware of.

This thread was originated to be a bit of positive amongst all the negative this forum dwells upon.

Oh well, one can only be the change they would like to see, not control those that seemingly always find the negatives to dwell upon.

Happy Easter. Smiling
(03-31-2013, 10:01 AM)gapper Wrote: This thread was originated to be a bit of positive amongst all the negative this forum dwells upon.

Not much reason to complain about what's going well. If you don't hear something negative about something you can figure we're fine with it. Smiling
(03-31-2013, 10:04 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-31-2013, 10:01 AM)gapper Wrote: This thread was originated to be a bit of positive amongst all the negative this forum dwells upon.

Not much reason to complain about what's going well. If you don't hear something negative about something you can figure we're fine with it. Smiling

So, you're are saying the positive isn't worth your time or effort to respond to. No sense in dwelling on the positive, so to speak.
Interesting philosophy.
Well, it's certainly not as newsworthy. Smiling

(Can you imagine a headline "Another day no major disasters occurred")
Is this catfishing?
(03-31-2013, 06:33 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Is this catfishing?

Howard Prairie has catfish (brown bullheads) but is best known for it's trout fishery, although the large and small mouth bass have inhabited the lake and their numbers are growing rapidly, while the viability of the trout fishery has suffered somewhat.
What you don't seem to understand is that it is not about greed at all.

You seem to be assuming they have the buying power of BiMart or some other chain, when they do not. When BiMart or some other large entity is buying at the volume they do, they get a better price than Howard Prairie or other smaller entities, regardless of their location. Further,BiMart has a much larger selection of merchandise from which to garner profits. Fishing supplies in general are not high margin goods. Places like BiMart and other department type stores make the bulk of their profit in other goods. Apparel and food items are generally much, much higher profit margins than sporting goods.
Further, Howard Prairie and other seasonal retail outlets have a much shorter selling season from which to make their profits and remain solvent. What you are calling greed, in reality is survival. And, if you think selling power bait for 3.50 (about the average every day rate if you look around) instead of 5.25, is going to allow them to sell enough more bait to make the difference between staying in business or not, you are mistaken, in my opinion, formed over decades of retail/wholesale experience.
And by the way TVg, thanks for upholding what seems to be the trend of this forum; "Let no good news remain just good news. Turn it negative, some how, some way.......".
Damn, this place is fun to hang in. Wink
Is good news for the humans good news for the fish? Smiling
(03-31-2013, 09:18 PM)gapper Wrote: And by the way TVg, thanks for upholding what seems to be the trend of this forum; "Let no good news remain just good news. Turn it negative, some how, some way.......".
Damn, this place is fun to hang in. Wink

You are far kinder than you should have been. I would have just said that anyone that goes fishing at Howard Prairie and forgets to bring the Power Bait deserves to pay $5.20 for it! Smiling
(03-31-2013, 09:21 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Is good news for the humans good news for the fish? Smiling

Giving fish the opportunity to reincarnate in to a higher life form.
A different life form, anyway. I'm not sure that always goes up though. Smiling