Sherif Shot Dead in W.VA
(04-13-2013, 02:43 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 02:36 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 12:52 PM)TennisMom Wrote: TV unwittingly supported my assertions by saying 'These two cops fired their weapons when an armed man pointed a gun directly at them. '. What would they have done had the shooter been spraying bullets from Adam Lanza's gun?

Spraying bullets? you still don't know the difference in an assault rifle and a semi auto hunting rifle do you.
I do. At least 25 rounds legal capacity in the magazine.

So my assault weapon is no longer and assault weapon if I have my 5 round clip in it?
Anyway IMO the term "spraying bullets" indicates an automatic weapon.

Sure you could frame it that way. Or, you could frame it as any semi auto with more than 5 rounds in the magazine is not a legal hunting rifle.

As far as the term "spraying bullets" indicating an automatic weapon, that is only your opinion. We all have a right to make our own opinions, but not our own facts. I know of many people that can "spray" bullets almost as fast, if not as fast, with a semi auto as with an auto. Then there is the issue of "bump shooting" semi autos, too.

Did I say anything was a fact?

I can also put a lot of lead down range with a shotgun shooting buck shot.
Something like 45 25 caliber projectiles in just a few seconds.
(04-14-2013, 12:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: I can also put a lot of lead down range with a shotgun shooting buck shot.

Surely you have a point in mind with this response, but it escapes me.Unsure
(04-14-2013, 12:11 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-14-2013, 12:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: I can also put a lot of lead down range with a shotgun shooting buck shot.

Surely you have a point in mind with this response, but it escapes me.Unsure

Just the point that a totally legal hunting weapon loaded legally can also "spray" a hell of a lot of lead in a very short time .

And that if some loon uses one in a mass murder that some people will want to ban them also.
Oh, OK. That was enlightening.
There are some loons that will call for the banning of all firearms already.
(04-14-2013, 12:25 PM)gapper Wrote: Oh, OK. That was enlightening.

Yep. BTW , you said....... any semi auto with more than 5 rounds in the magazine is not a legal hunting rifle.

That's not true. You can squirrel hunt with a semi auto with more than 5 rounds in the magazine Big Grin
Larry, how about these statistics:

Some real 2011 / 2012 gun statistics:
Americans own almost half of all civilian owned guns in the world.
Per 100,000:
America:.. 88,880 guns owned ; 2.97 homicides
England.…: 6,200 guns owned ; 0.07 homicides
Austrailia: 15,000 guns owned ; 0.14 homicides
Canada…: 30,800 guns owned ; 0.51 homicides
France….: 31,000 guns owned ; 0.06 homicides
Japan……..: 1,000 guns owned ; 0.08 homicides
Israel……..: 7,300 guns owned ; 0.90 homicides
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stat...011-12.xls
The above link is to England police statistics - see table D19
The nra & its trolls are claiming that we will fail, where England & Australia succeeded in reducing gun deaths substantially by legislation.

Here ya go:

http://www.urbin.net/EWW/polyticks/RKBA/copview.html

BTW, I didn't notice any questions about whether the cops thought citizens ought to be able to purchase WMDs. The guns they referenced most often was open carry/concealed carry. Those are not usually the weapons of choice by mass-murderers.
(04-14-2013, 12:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-14-2013, 12:25 PM)gapper Wrote: Oh, OK. That was enlightening.

Yep. BTW , you said....... any semi auto with more than 5 rounds in the magazine is not a legal hunting rifle.

That's not true. You can squirrel hunt with a semi auto with more than 5 rounds in the magazine Big Grin

Damn........ you earned a legitimate "gotcha" on that one.Embarrassed
I freakin' hate it when that happens!!Mad

Big Grin
(04-14-2013, 01:01 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Some real 2011 / 2012 gun statistics:
Per 100,000:

So, we get about one homicide annually for every 30,000 guns owned. How much is a disrupted life worth, in grieving, lost wages, unsupported children and overall cost to society? $1,000,000?

There should be a tax to pay for these losses. Be sure to add in the injured ones too, and all their expenses as well. Those might be even higher, since they actually live.

(Put another way, it looks to me like society is currently subsidizing gun owning to the tune of something like $100 per gun per year. Nice going, 2nd Amendment guys. When are you going to save us from a hostile and out of control government???)
(04-14-2013, 01:13 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
Per 100,000:

So, we get about one homicide annually for every 30,000 guns owned. How much is a disrupted life worth, in grieving, lost wages, unsupported children and overall cost to society? $1,000,000?

There should be a tax to pay for these losses. Be sure to add in the injured ones too, and all their expenses as well. Those might be even higher, since they actually live.

(Put another way, it looks to me like society is currently subsidizing gun owning to the tune of something like $100 per gun per year. Nice going, 2nd Amendment guys. When are you going to save us from a hostile and out of control government???)

Right genius, just lump us second amendment guys in with criminals and homicide.

And never mind that a family killed by a drunk driver with out insurance is never paid for their losses with some tax .

Yea boy, You betcha all the criminals with guns are gonna run right out and start paying taxes on their guns BlinkRolling Eyes Great freaking plan.
(04-14-2013, 01:01 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Larry, how about these statistics:

Some real 2011 / 2012 gun statistics:
Per 100,000:
England.…: 6,200 guns owned ; 0.07 homicides
Austrailia: 15,000 guns owned ; 0.14 homicides
Canada…: 30,800 guns owned ; 0.51 homicides
France….: 31,000 guns owned ; 0.06 homicides
Japan……..: 1,000 guns owned ; 0.08 homicides
Israel……..: 7,300 guns owned ; 0.90 homicides
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stat...011-12.xls
The above link is to England police statistics - see table D19
The nra & its trolls are claiming that we will fail, where England & Australia succeeded in reducing gun deaths substantially by legislation.

Here ya go:

http://www.urbin.net/EWW/polyticks/RKBA/copview.html

BTW, I didn't notice any questions about whether the cops thought citizens ought to be able to purchase WMDs. The guns they referenced most often was open carry/concealed carry. Those are not usually the weapons of choice by mass-murderers.

No the weapons of choice by mass murderers in your opinion is most likely the dreaded assault rifle.
Tell me again how many homicides a year are committed with these weapons???

TWO PERCENT??

If it's lives you want to save then you should try and think more like the police in the link Larry provided.
They want tougher laws and longer jail time FOR CRIMINALS. And a better way to weed out the crazies.

Ahh but what do they know.
(04-14-2013, 02:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Per 100,000:

Right genius, just lump us second amendment guys in with criminals and homicide.

And never mind that a family killed by a drunk driver with out insurance is never paid for their losses with some tax .

Yea boy, You betcha all the criminals with guns are gonna run right out and start paying taxes on their guns BlinkRolling Eyes Great freaking plan.

"Brilliant!!!!!"
(04-14-2013, 02:40 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-14-2013, 02:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Per 100,000:

Great ... plan.

"Brilliant!!!!!"

Thanks guys. I knew we could get something going here. Smiling
(04-14-2013, 02:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: No the weapons of choice by mass murderers in your opinion is most likely the dreaded assault rifle.

TWO PERCENT??

If it's lives you want to save then you should try and think more like the police in the link Larry provided.
They want tougher laws and longer jail time FOR CRIMINALS. And a better way to weed out the crazies.

These are the same people who hate paying taxes. Higher taxes would enable our jails to hold more criminals for longer periods of time. Right now, Jackson County is practically passing around a begging bowl for raising taxes to keep the jails open.

And no, the criminals won't start paying taxes on their guns but if taxes on ammunition are implemented they'd have no choice but to contribute to a fund which could help offset medical and funeral expenses for victims.

Yes, you'd have to subsidize the criminals if you are a gun user but we all subsidize something whenever we have insurance or pay taxes. I don't use the roads in Arkansas but my federal tax dollars may or may not go there.
(04-15-2013, 11:21 AM)TennisMom Wrote:
(04-14-2013, 02:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: No the weapons of choice by mass murderers in your opinion is most likely the dreaded assault rifle.

TWO PERCENT??

These are the same people who hate paying taxes. Higher taxes would enable our jails to hold more criminals for longer periods of time. Right now, Jackson County is practically passing around a begging bowl for raising taxes to keep the jails open.

And no, the criminals won't start paying taxes on their guns but if taxes on ammunition are implemented they'd have no choice but to contribute to a fund which could help offset medical and funeral expenses for victims.

Yes, you'd have to subsidize the criminals if you are a gun user but we all subsidize something whenever we have insurance or pay taxes. I don't use the roads in Arkansas but my federal tax dollars may or may not go there.

Maybe I sound like a broken record but how in the hell is a bullet tax fair to sportsman, gun enthusiasts, target shooters who go through thousands of rounds of ammunition. When the tax is supposed to pay for problems from mostly criminal activities when in comparison they buy very little?

You bullet tax proponents like to compare this idea to car insurance. But car insurance is shared equally for safe drivers. As a matter of fact safe drivers get better rates and bad drivers pay more.
With a bullet tax the safest most responsible will pay more because they buy the most ammunition.
Meanwhile some crook lowlife can buy one box of ammunition and rob and mug to his hearts content and pay a miniscule tax.
Because that's the way insurance works. Unless you can figure out a way bullet sellers can differentiate which bullets will only be used for target practice and which ones will be used by muggers and which ones will be unintended bystanders. That might work pretty good too.
(04-15-2013, 12:35 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Because that's the way insurance works.

Did you read my post? Careful drivers with good records pay a LOT less than reckless drivers with bad records.

It would be the complete opposite with a bullet tax.
You pay the same for uninsured motorist though. That's more of a random risk that only happens sometimes, but we have to be prepared for it none the less. Similar to bullets coming at ya, but with the twist added that we figured how to make them pay even if it doesn't make us less dead.

OK, I have to make sure a spot is ready for a well driller coming tomorrow, so I can't stay and argue with you this afternoon, sorry. Smiling
(04-15-2013, 12:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: You pay the same for uninsured motorist though.

Blink
I admit I didn't read any of the above.

But the life expectancy of a Sheriff in W. Virgina is about the same as a fruit fly.
(04-15-2013, 12:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-15-2013, 11:21 AM)TennisMom Wrote:

TWO PERCENT??

Maybe I sound like a broken record but how in the hell is a bullet tax fair to sportsman, gun enthusiasts, target shooters who go through thousands of rounds of ammunition. When the tax is supposed to pay for problems from mostly criminal activities when in comparison they buy very little?

You bullet tax proponents like to compare this idea to car insurance. But car insurance is shared equally for safe drivers. As a matter of fact safe drivers get better rates and bad drivers pay more.
With a bullet tax the safest most responsible will pay more because they buy the most ammunition.
Meanwhile some crook lowlife can buy one box of ammunition and rob and mug to his hearts content and pay a miniscule tax.

People who don't have and never will have kids pay school taxes. it's part of our social contract. We need to do the same with bullets.