The Britt Schedule at 7PM!
I wento hear Doc Watson and his opening act was Gillian Welch. With David Rawlings. Doc Watson was a brave man. I went to see Buddy Guy, and his opening act was Donovan. No one but a true patron of the guitar arts would let Donovan on the stage ahead of him with a Strat (But, that was at Humpheys). And, the subject now, is all the great acts that The Britt has given us. If not for Britt, all I would know about Donna Summer, is that she was a troubled soul. Judy Collins is back in The Valley. I caught her at Britt, under a bad, bad, thunder storm. Randy Neuman was in a bad mood, over a "Fuckin"' lobster.
If your company's name is on the back of the empty seats in front of me, it isn't winning you points. I've hardly ever left unhappy that I went. And, I usually went sick, and cold, and faced a long drive home. Let's see if they can tempt me in the shape I'm in. It helps, if I know the words. With Gillian Welch, all I knew was the audience's reaction. She did Acony Bell, and they went nuts. I'd read about her in Time, with one of her depression outfits on, in the pic. I thought it said "Agony Bell". And I thought, I guess....I was her biggest fan, before I remembered that.
Human League, Howard Jones & Andy from Erasure...that's one I would see.
Of course I need to take my daughter to The Music of ABBA: Arrival from Sweden.

And then laugh it up myself with Dennis Miller.

Maybe take in some Steve Miller Band too.

Most of the rest are repeat offenders that I have little interest in seeing.
Miller hasn't been funny for a VERY long time. Razz Big Grin

Laughing Dennis. Embarrassed
(04-03-2013, 07:29 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Miller hasn't been funny for a VERY long time. Razz Big Grin

dennis nor steve.Zipped
(04-03-2013, 06:07 PM)illcommandante Wrote: I wento hear Doc Watson and his opening act was Gillian Welch. With David Rawlings. Doc Watson was a brave man. I went to see Buddy Guy, and his opening act was Donovan. No one but a true patron of the guitar arts would let Donovan on the stage ahead of him with a Strat (But, that was at Humpheys). And, the subject now, is all the great acts that The Britt has given us. If not for Britt, all I would know about Donna Summer, is that she was a troubled soul. Judy Collins is back in The Valley. I caught her at Britt, under a bad, bad, thunder storm. Randy Neuman was in a bad mood, over a "Fuckin"' lobster.
If your company's name is on the back of the empty seats in front of me, it isn't winning you points. I've hardly ever left unhappy that I went. And, I usually went sick, and cold, and faced a long drive home. Let's see if they can tempt me in the shape I'm in. It helps, if I know the words. With Gillian Welch, all I knew was the audience's reaction. She did Acony Bell, and they went nuts. I'd read about her in Time, with one of her depression outfits on, in the pic. I thought it said "Agony Bell". And I thought, I guess....I was her biggest fan, before I remembered that.

She's very good Illc. Thanks!

This looks like a fun show. But, I'm busy that weekend.
http://www.brittfest.org/performances/johnprine2013
Prine has a cut of Old Kentucky Home out. I might be the only one left who knows what that song is about. It's Foster's sad ode to a Cherokee lady, removed from her plantation, to the territories. Oh Suzannah, is a runaway slave's attempt to throw pursuers off his track. Foster was a treasure.
(04-03-2013, 07:48 PM)Crazylace Wrote: This looks like a fun show. But, I'm busy that weekend.

Some great photos!

(04-03-2013, 07:48 PM)Crazylace Wrote: This looks like a fun show. But, I'm busy that weekend.

John Prine is one of my all time heros. I've been a fan since the 70's. I've seen him 6 or 7 times. Got to meet him after the show the last time he was at Britt. We had our daughter with us, who was probably 10 or 11 at the time. He was SO gracious and nice to her.

I can't wait!!
(04-03-2013, 08:07 PM)illcommandante Wrote: Prine has a cut of Old Kentucky Home out. I might be the only one left who knows what that song is about. It's Foster's sad ode to a Cherokee lady, removed from her plantation, to the territories. Oh Suzannah, is a runaway slave's attempt to throw pursuers off his track. Foster was a treasure.

I never knew this...Old Kentucky Home is about the Cherokee Trail of Tears to Oklahoma? Amazing.
You're wrong on this one, illcommandante....

Foster allegedly composed the song after visiting a relative's home at Bardstown, Kentucky called Federal Hill, but scholars have discounted the allegation. Richard Jackson believes Foster took inspiration from Harriett Beecher Stowe's 1851 bestseller Uncle Tom's Cabin, and hoped to exploit its popularity. In Foster's sketchbook, the song was titled "Poor Uncle Tom, Good Night" and each verse ended with the line "Den poor Uncle Tom, good night." Jackson describes the song as "one of [Foster's] most appealing nostalgia pieces".[1] Abolitionist Frederick Douglass thought the song stimulated "the sympathies for the slave, in which anti-slavery principles take root and flourish."[4]
The song described originally an everyday scene on a slave plantation and was a beloved song in minstrel shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Old_Kentucky_Home

My Old Kentucky Home, Good-Night (1853)

Words & music by Stephen Collins Foster (1826-1864)
The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
'Tis summer, the darkies are gay,
The corn top's ripe and the meadows in the bloom,
While the birds make music all the day.
The young folks roll on the little cabin floor,
All merry, all happy and bright:
By'n by Hard Times comes a knocking at the door,
Then my old Kentucky Home, good night!
CHORUS
Weep no more, my lady,
Oh! weep no more to-day!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky Home,
For the old Kentucky Home far away.
They hunt no more for possum and the coon
On the meadow, the hill, and the shore,
They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,
On the bench by the old cabin door.
The day goes by like a shadow o're the heart,
With sorrow where all was delight:
The time has come when the darkies have to part,
Then my old Kentucky Home, good-night!
(CHORUS)
The head must bow and the back will have to bend,
Wherever the darkey may go:
A few more days, and the trouble all will end
In the field where the sugar-canes grow.
A few more days for to tote the weary load,
No matter, 'twill never be light,
A few more days till we totter on the road,
Then my old Kentucky Home, good-night!
----------------------------------------------------------------

It's also the theme song to the Kentucky Derby! Laughing
The Doobies never suck, either.